“Fantastic Hotel and Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Brown Hotel

You added The Brown Hotel to your Saves list
The Brown Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 W Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202 (Formerly The Camberley Brown Hotel) (Central Business District)   |
Special Offer
Complimentary Wifi
Ranked #5 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Minnesota
“Fantastic Hotel and Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

We stayed at The Brown Hotel. The locaton was great, the room was beautiful and the service was exceptional. Everybody at the hotel went out of their way to accommodate any and all requests. It is a short walk to 4th Street where there are numerous (corporate) bars and restaurants and it is a short bus ride or taxi ride (10 minutes) Barstow Road where there are also numerous bars and restaurants (noncorporate). We dined at a restaurant called Cerviche on Barstow Road which was exceptional.

I can't say enough good things about The Brown Hotel - overall a lovely experience.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your very nice comments.
I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed our "exceptional service" and central location to 4th Street Live and Bardstown Rd. I look forward to sharing your thoughts with our staff.
Regards,

Brad Walker
Vice President, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

My self and 3 other guys from australia stayed there for the truck show, We had come from LA then to Vegas then to Kentucky and the brown was by far the freindliest staff were awesome rooms were very nice beds are nice and soft and the breakfast was fantastic. No complaints here. and for all those that say its far from 4th street? its no more than a 5 minute walk on the same street.

Room Tip: freindliest hotel we stayed at in the US
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at The Brown Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the very nice note regarding your recent visit to the Brown Hotel. I was delighted to hear your comments of our friendly staff, comfortable beds and breakfast service. It was great to hear that you enjoyed our location, just a short walk from the Convention Center.
We hope to have you back with us in the near future.

Regards,
Brad Walker
Vice President & General Manager
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

I am staying at the Brown for business and after a perfectly horrible day of travel I was picked up by Jesus The Brown Shuttle. He was pleasant (a wonderful change from the customer service at the airline), courteous, and informative. In the brief time between the airport and the hotel he took the time to engage me in conversation, answer my questions, and suggest several attractions that I might be interested in visiting during my stay.

He exemplified quality customer service and genuinely welcomed me to KY.
Thank you VERY much!
Beth

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed at the Brown Hotel due to the positive reviews on many sites, including the description of the old, historic feel of the hotel. In general, we had an ok stay, but the hotel is pretty overpriced. For one, the location is not great. It's not far (mileage wise) to Main St, but it's really deserted around the hotel and we did not feel safe walking around at night. In addition, downtown is not the best place to be in Louisville, especially not on weekends. We found that NuLu and Bardstown Rd were much more fun, and had better restaurants with more interesting food (e.g. try Mayan Cafe or 732 Social). Downtown has a stuffy feeling where most of the restaurants are part of hotels (including the restaurant in the Brown, which might have decent food, but it is expensive, formal, and nothing special--though we didn't eat there, this is just from looking at the menu). Unfortunately, one has to drive or take a cab to those areas from the Brown Hotel. Driving is fine, but the valet service is pretty bad, and it also costs $23/night! Try booking a packaged deal online in advance to avoid the expensive valet service. Finally, the rooms are really noisy--you can hear everything from neighbors (even low volume conversations in the hallway or in an adjoining room, hair dryers, and toilets flushing in nearby rooms). We were lucky that our neighbors were courteous and did not keep us up at night at all. Overall, we had a fine stay--the room is comfortable with nice amenities, and the hotel was fine. But given the cost and some off the downsides, we will probably try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

This hotel was fine. The interior of the check-in area is absolutely beautiful and the folks checking us in were very nice. The woman who cleaned our rooms, Sevana, was an absolute sweetheart (very responsive and kind). The fitness room is a little small, but sufficient for say, no more than 3-4 people working out at the same time. Our hotel room was decent, again a little small. We were able to book this hotel last minute for $95/night -- so the value was good. The downsides -- first, the doormen never actually opened the door for my wife or I. This isn't a deal-killer, but it is rather odd given the principal expectations for their jobs. Also, maybe we are used to staying in Chicago, Boston, New York etc. where doormen do open doors for the guests. Odd. Anyway, the second inconvenience was the location is a good deal south of 4th Street Live and the river, where the restaurants and entertainment are located. It's not a terrible walk, but there are several hotels much closer to the area. Third, this is a quaint hotel with a historic past, but we had the opportunity to visit the 21C hotel, and walked past the Seelbach daily, and for the same money (or even slightly more), in retrospect I would have preferred to stay in one of these hotels. Probably 21C specifically. Having said this, the costs would almost certainly be higher, so it would be a trade-off. But, everyone in the 21C was very nice to us, the hotel experience there is unique (it doubles as an art museum), and it's just really cool. All in all, though - for the money, the Brown was not bad.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I stayed here for a business meeting in January, and although there is a lot of overall charm, the cramped bedrooms and stuck up bartenders were a complete bore. There was a group of about 20 of us, with about 10 staying at the hotel, so we expected better service. We aren't asking anyone to pander to us, but at least act like you want us at the property. Even though we had plans to just hang in the hotel for the eveining, because of the attitude of the bar staff, w all of us went down to 4th street live and had a blast. At least the location is nice!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
South Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

I stayed in one of their deluxe king rooms on 2/23 and 2/24. Rooms was spacious with newer carpeting and furnishings were nice as well. Beds do have pillowtop mattresses and plenty of pillows. Very comfortable. Someone said the pillows were thin. I didn't have that problem, mine were actually somewhat small in width but bulky. I loved the huge windows that spanned the wall and let me look out at the city. Free wifi in the rooms.

The room was fairly clean and I'm picky. Tore the sheets off right away, checked the mattress and box springs, looked all over the bed. No problems, if you get what I mean. So, what a relief.

There is a beautiful lobby area on the 2nd floor (with small adjoining bar) where you can order drinks and food from a limited menu. Wonderful smoked salmon and toast appetizer. Look up at the ceiling as you're enjoying your drink, it's exquisite. Didn't eat at the grill but did have breakfast 2x on the ground floor cafe and it was very nice.

Service was very good. I needed an extension cord the first night and engineering came within 3 minutes and provided me with one. Plus, he moved the bed back since the outlet was behind the headboard, fixed the nightstand afterward, etc.

Then, I told the front desk that I needed the airport shuttle the morning I left. I went down and the driver had already taken off but they fixed that problem immediately by getting another shuttle for me out of the garage.

The negatives? Mainly the noise and the shower. My room was close to the elevator so whenever someone exited, the sound would bounce off of the floor's lobby area (wood floors, not carpet). You get the impression that the insulation isn't very good between the walls, floors and/or the door. It's a little creepy at times because it seems as though someone is in room with you, when they're not - yes, the noises are that acute. I was there during a conference and heard from others on a separate floor that someone was drunk and had a screaming match on 2/23 around midnight. Believe it or not, I later realized that I had heard minute fragments of it through what? The register? It wasn't so bad each night that sounds kept me awake, though. If noise bothers you, ask for a room away from the elevators.

My issue with the shower is that it took forever to drain. Nice products and towels. Housekeeping is very attentive and friendly.

There is a good business center downstairs (accessible by room card) with a couple of computers and printers. It's a little pricy, I think. They charged .50 cents per copy and I ended up spending $20 for the computer charge (according to time) and printing fees.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Brown Hotel? Share your experiences!