“one night stay. very affordable” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“one night stay. very affordable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The hotel looks shabby from the outside but it is really nice on the inside. Our room was spacious and for the most part clean. Maid service does need to pay attention to detail. Our ice bucket was wet with water in it. There was a used bottle of shampoo in the shower. The front desk person was friendly and helpful. She told us where it was good to eat. Please note that the beds are very firm. Don't expect coushy comfort. If you are looking for a clean, short stay hotel, I would recommend this one.

Room Tip: There are multiple levels but there is an elevator. Don't book if you require a soft bed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband, sons (11 and 7 years old), and I stayed at the Best Western Plus Airport East/Expo Center August 17 & 18, 2012. We were traveling with our local 4-H group to the Kentucky State Fair and they made the reservations for us so I don't know the exact cost of the room per night, but I think they said it was in the high $60 range.

My first impression was that the hotel is a little dark for my taste. I like lighter/brighter colors and lots of sunlight. The elevators are older and I was afraid of getting trapped. So I took the stairs the entire stay. The lobby and breakfast area were very clean and the decor was stylish though dark colored.

We were put into room 219; two double beds. The room was very clean, the beds were super soft, and the pillows were great as well. No bed bugs or creepy crawlers anywhere (I checked).
The carpets in the halls looked dirty, but the ones in the rooms were clean. I walked around in white socks and didn't have any stains.

The bathroom was well lit and had a heat lamp and hair dryer available. I really liked the full length mirror on the door. They had signs in the bathroom saying in order to save $$, water, etc.. if you wanted to reuse your towels to put them on the rack, but if you wanted clean ones to put them on the floor. I love this. There is no need to rewash clean towels everyday if they haven't been used. They had a sign that asked if you forgot anything and listed personal items they have available to you at the front. Shampoo, razor, etc. Just simply call and ask.

The only negative things I have to say about the bathroom is that some of the tiles in the shower needed replaced and the stopper in the tub wouldn't go down so my son had to take a shower when he really wanted a bath. The shower head had multiple settings for pressure. My son loved that.

The beds had signs on them that said to leave them sitting on the bed if you didn't need your sheets changed that day. Another great idea.

There were irons and ironing boards in the room if you need them.

The main downfall was that there wasn't a mini-fridge or microwave in the room. I've never ran into this before. We always like to have cold drinks and to keep sandwich meats to snack on. Thankfully we didn't bring a lot of things that would ruin with us.

The view wasn't great as it is downtown and when you looked out you had the view of the parking lot and other buildings. This is ok though as we were only in the room to sleep.

Sleep was great as far as the bed and pillows went. But the air conditioner made a ticking noise all night long. Comparable to a second hand on a clock. Tick, tick, tick. All night. My kids were so exhausted they didn't notice. But, my husband slept with a pillow over his head. It was so annoying. The walls are pretty thin too. Thankfully, we didn't have noisy neighbors, but you could hear the toilets flush and water in the bathrooms running. Also, you could hear people out in the hall walking and talking.

When we stay in a room that doesn't have a safe (which it didn't), we don't like the cleaning staff to be in our room unless we are in there with them. Since we had to be at the Fair super early, I stopped by the cleaning office which was close to our room and asked that they just give us clean towels. There was no need for the room to be cleaned. The lady didn't want to give me the towels right then, but said she would leave them hanging in a bag on our door. I said that was fine. When we came back that night, no towels. I don't know if she put them on there and someone took them or if she didn't do it at all. All I know is we had no towels. I go downstairs and ask for extras. The guy at the front acted very irritated with me. As if I were a thorn in his side. He didn't have any towels on hand but said that he would send us some up. Which he did, eventually.

The pool and hot tub were clean and well kept. You needed your room key to get in. My only complaints were that they had up a sign saying only 5 people in the pool at a time. 5 people? Seriously? In a hotel that size? Also the pool closes at 9pm. The boys only had a few minutes to swim of the evening before it closed. I did like the towels stationed right inside the door to the hotel. That way you don't have to use your room towels.

Breakfast was your average continental. Frozen waffles, bagels, muffins, oatmeal, boiled eggs, frosted flakes, cheerios, bran flakes, apples, milk, orange juice, coffee. The lady working in there was super nice. But my husband said he seen her wipe milk up off the floor and then use the same cloth to wipe the counter. Nasty. The milk dispenser was messed up and every time you would try to get milk for the cereal it would spray milk on you.

They also have a workout room, but we didn't use it as we walked a dozen miles a day at the Fair.

Like I said in the title. It is ok. Nothing exceptional. I wouldn't stay here again. All the things I mentioned that could be improved upon are minor things, and wouldn't be that much of an issue for me, with the exception of not having a mini-fridge. That is a must and is the reason we won't be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

I am not a fussy hotel person but our room smelled just awful like old cleaner covering up another horrible smell. Tv was old, elevator was scary, room needed some serious updates. However the staff was very helpful when we complained our shower drain was backed up. We went to dinner and the drain was fixed when we for back. Breakfast was lacking and all I wanted was toast but they only had mini bagels.

• Stayed August 2012
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here on the night of July 4th.

There's nothing wrong with this property, there just isn't anything especially right about it, either. I wasn't there very long as I had an early flight, but something about the neighborhood and the level of care put into it was lacking.

The shuttle would have been helpful, but it didn't start until after I needed it.

On a positive note, the price was very good for the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Williamsburg, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed here overnight on July 26, 2012 because my daughter was participating in a two-day basketball camp at Bellarmine University. I found a coupon online from one of those hotel coupon websites (the same as the coupon books you can pick up at welcome centers) that advertised a $49.95 walk-in rate. We thought that sounded like a decent rate, so instead of making a reservation online, we decided to just take our chances and show up at the hotel that day. We arrived at around 10am. I showed the coupon to the front desk. They told me they were "pretty booked" and would not be able to accept the coupon for that night. The exclusions on the coupon say some holidays and dates of special events may not apply, but it said nothing about "pretty booked." The front desk said I could get a room for $72 instead though. I wasn't happy and wanted to find a different hotel. My husband reminded me that all the other hotels we researched with pools would cost us about the same, and this one was the closest to the university and the one where our other friends were staying. We decided to pay the $72. So we paid, and they put us right in a room at 10am. Seriously, if the hotel is that busy, they shouldn't have a room ready at 10am. Oh well, it was nice to be able to check in that early anyway.

This hotel is very average. The rooms were clean enough. But there were no microwaves or mini-fridges. I like to have a mini-fridge because we always bring lunchmeat, and I don't like to worry about it sinking down into the water of the cooler. The free continental breakfast was way below average. The last time I stayed at Best Western there were actually scramble eggs at the breakfast. This one had mostly pastries. There were waffles, but they were just frozen toaster waffles (most places have the waffle iron with waffle mix). There were bagels, but only white bagels. There were Cheerios, Frosted Flakes, and something else. The muffins were okay. There were boiled eggs too. I like to at least see real waffles or biscuits and gravy, but this place had neither.

The pool was very clean and very warm. I like a warm pool, but I know some do not. The pool closed way too early at 9pm. My kids were very disappointed to have to stop swimming at 9pm. I hate to see hotel pools close that early because then what do you do with kids who aren't ready to sleep and are just stuck in a small hotel room?

Even though they told us we couldn't get the coupon rate because they were "pretty booked," the parking lot was not at all full in the evening. Also our friends asked for a late checkout the next morning, and they were told they couldn't have one because they were so full. They were definitely not that full in the evening or morning. This was very frustrating.

I've never been a huge fan of Best Western, and now I remember why.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sorel, Qc, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Went to Louisville on business, and I check out all the hoyels around the airport and downtown. Price ranged from 129 to 289/night.
This best Western is $75/night, clean with a pool, friendly staff, helpful and dedicated 24 hours/day.
Shuttle to and from the airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We found this place off hotwire.com a we were driving through so we didn't know what to expect. Aw pulled up, we were so little worried because the neighborhood looked a little empty. However, we were pleasantly surprised. The rom was very clean, the front desk person very polite, and the food was very good. This was a great value for the price.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to BEST WESTERN Airport East/Expo Center? Share your experiences!