“Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The hotel has been remodeled, but there are some remaining unmodernized elements like bathtubs and tile. The rooms are spacious. The location is fairly central so that city sightseeing is within walking distance, and the visitor's center is right next door. Every staff member I encountered was friendly and helpful.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Great if you're in town for a Louisville basketball game or need easy access to the convention center - or you're just exploring Louisville! In the middle of their downtown area, just a block away from 4th Street Live which is a fun, albeit tourist-y, bar area complete with the PBR Bar and its mechanical bull. A lot of dining options in the area and walking distance to the KFC Yum Center.
Rooms are nice - what you expect for the price - the bathrooms are clean and the towels were fluffy. No robes but we called for them and they came right away. If you have AAA membership (and other applicable memberships), the breakfast buffet at Sway will be free and it will be delicious and you can have pancakes or waffles (maybe eggs too) made to order. There is also a bar that I did not frequent but the boys did and they quite enjoyed it so perhaps worth checking out.
It was a bit loud sometimes in the hallways at night and it didn't bother me but it might bother others. You can valet or you can self park - the Hyatt will give you a little card with directions (Turn right on 4th, right on Market, right on 3rd, right on Jefferson, take immediate left into Hotel Parking entrance). A lot of one ways as can be expected in downtown areas.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Louisville several times and feel the need to share the pros and cons of my many stays.

PROs
Location: If you are going to Louisville to take advantage of 4th St. Live and other downtown attractions, this is the perfect hotel for you. It is situated a block away from where the street gets closed off for concerts, a variety of restaurants, etc, which means you can either walk right out your door to the action or even see quite a bit from your room if you're on that side of the hotel. If you don't like noise, ask when you're checking in if there will be a concert. If so, ask for a room facing the other direction.

Customer Service: Hyatt is usually good in this area, but Louisville tops them all. Whether it was a room request, a parking issue, a restaurant suggestion, or just a friendly welcome back at the end of a long day, this Hyatt crew was amazing. The people in my large group felt the same way.

The Rooms: As always, the Hyatt bed is firm and comfortable with ample plump pillows, and most of the rooms have great views of either the city or the river. They have positioned the bed in many of the rooms to face the window, which provided for me a glorious sunrise to wake up to in the morning. It was a clean, though sparsely furnished room.

CONs:
The Rooms: I tend to judge a hotel by the bathrooms, and while this Hyatt has done its best to renovate within the parameters given (it's not a new hotel), there are a couple of things they could improve. Mainly, they could provide better towels. I was surprised by the thinness of the towels provided for me, especially since most Hyatts have upgraded in this area. The shower is in an older tub with an older shower head, but the water pressure was fine, even on the top floor, and it was clean. This is no fault of this particular Hyatt, but the amenities provided are Hyatt's new-ish scent, which smells much like the soap from a roadside motel. No longer do they have the distinctive White Ginger products. Bring your own soap if you can. They do provide toothpaste, and they brought me a robe upon request.

About the room, I mentioned before that it was sparsely furnished. With the new bed arrangement, there is a massive area with nothing. It feels empty, not homey. Their chairs, both desk and arm, were older and worn. They would be fine in most hotels, but this is a Hyatt Regency.

The Small Things: As a Hyatt Regency, it should have a Regency Club. But it doesn't. If it does, it wasn't offered. Instead, they do offer snacks and drinks every afternoon in the lobby, which is a nice touch.

Not such a small thing is the missing jacuzzi. They used to have one but took it out. It's nice to sit in a hot tub after a long day out on the town. Others in my large group were similarly disappointed.

I would also expect a large downtown hotel to have a spa of some kind. I wanted to book a massage, as I do most of the time I stay at a Hyatt, but the option was not available. I had to drive six miles away.

It's the little things that differentiate a luxury hotel from just a hotel. And the Hyatt Regency is just a hotel, albeit a good one. I would definitely recommend it. I have stayed there multiple times and will stay there again. It is clean, comfortable, convenient, and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2014
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here and we had the best service and the room was really nice! I'll definitely stay here again. I booked the hypoallergenic room and had no issues with my allergies. This was my boyfriends first time in Louisville and he wants to stay there again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Powell, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Good place to stay convenient to the downtown area, rooms are big enough, comfortable bed and able to sleep without outside or inside noises heard! By odd circumstance this was my 3rd trip to Louisville in a year, stayed at various hotels in that area and By Far this was the best. Very accommodating staff in lobby, valet service and restaurant, food good and reasonably priced. Would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

While it can be a little confusing about where to pull up to valet your car - it's in the back parking garage, not the front door - everything else about our stay was exceptional. And valet isn't as crucial here; you can self park in the attached garage for only $10/day, with several other parking garages closeby.

As soon as we walked into the hotel we were greeted and made to feel right at home. I would give the front desk check-in 4 out of 5 stars. Still not bad, they were sold out so I'll cut the agent some slack. The lobby is very comfortable, and inviting.

We had Suite 1815 on the very top floor. It was more than what we could have possibly expected. Sweeping views of downtown and the Ohio River. Comfortable bedroom and soaking tub - I didn't want to get out of the bed OR the tub. Comfortable office space with generous amount of plugs. Comfortable living room with excellent Bose surround sound speakers. If we could have figured out how to plug our smart phone into this to play music it would have been even better. Very nice dining room & kitchen.

On the plus side, the Keurig coffeemaker with carousel of K-cups was perfect. The comfortable bed and pillows have me yearning to go back tomorrow. The kitchen was fully equipped with a cook top, fridge, microwave and toaster - but no oven.

Couple of MINOR quibbles - I would have liked to have had a couple of robes. Other comparable suites provide them. They could have been laid out at turn down service. WiFi service faded on and off, and it was sometimes difficult to do work when the wireless connection would go down. The signal was slowest at the office desk, and strongest in the bar. So, I just moved my work to the bar. The kitchen drain had a paperclip in it, and there were crumbs in the bottom of the toaster. The freezer trays already had ice in them. I would prefer to make my own ice. But all of those issues were very MINOR to me. This was a 5 Star experience for me, and I'm anxious to return.

My compliments to the valet, who was extremely helpful with directions, and courteous. This hotel knows how to provide exceptional service and you can tell that from interacting with anyone that works here.

Room Tip: To valet your car, pull into the parking garage behind the hotel. Sign reads "Hyatt Parking.&qu...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

The day had finally arrived. We haven't been to Louisville in a couple of years and were ready for a nice night out and a place to sleep afterwards. We normally stay at Hyatt's whenever possible because of the ambiance and great beds. The Hyatt Regency Louisville did not disappoint. Directions to the hotel were easy to follow and parking was not a major issue considering it's in Downtown. When we arrived at the main entrance on 4th street, it was a pleasant surprise to find the hotel was located right at 4th Street Live. Which is a collection of restaurants, bars and local entertainment. And it was only 2 blocks from the KFC Yum Center where the concert was being held. We chose to self park in the garage to save a few dollars but, valet service was ready and available. From the moment I checked in the staff treated me like a VIP. Or at least that's how I felt. It's a large lobby with the front desk almost hidden behind the glass elevator. That was no problem though. The front desk agent greeted me and lead me to the desk for check-in where we were sent on our way to the VIP suite we reserved on the 18th floor. The elevator ride was smooth and quick, even though they were sold out. We entered the suite and were immediately impressed with the warm, cozy southern inspired decor. The living area had a dining table, a couch, occasional chair, well arranged tables, with a 42" TV and Bose surround sound system, a fully stocked kitchen, and a Keurig brewer with endless supply of complimentary K-Cups. There was also a bathroom with a walk-in shower. The sleeping area had a King size Grand Bed and a soaking tub, with a work table and another 42" TV. And the view was great from all angles. We could see Downtown, and the river. We needed to use the Wi-FI and was able to connect immediately with no drop offs during our stay. Always a plus. After settling in, we decided to get some groceries for a little snack later. We tried the GPS and found nothing. When we got back to the hotel we asked the valet about dining options and he had a full map of the area and some really great suggestions. Then when we entered the hotel another staff member from the Sale office greeted us and asked if she could help. We asked for directions to a store and she was more than happy to assist. The hotel also has an interactive map in the lobby if you don't want to ask. We gathered our groceries and head, just a block, back to the hotel to prepare for the evening. The rain possibility was high and we were concerned about getting caught in a storm on our way to the concert. No problem though. The hotel is connected via sky walk to the convention center across the street and the center is connected to another hotel with yet another sky walk to the concert venue. Talk about convenient! Well, we enjoyed and headed back to the hotel about 11PM. The front desk greeted us as we boarded the elevator. This time we had to use our room card to access the elevator. After 11PM it's nice to know there is this extra added security. Got to the room and had the most comfortable nights sleep. The next day we had to meet up with friends for lunch but, check-out was 11AM. The front desk offered a late check-out which allowed us to visit our friends in a timely manner. When we did finally check-out, the clerk was, once again, quick and courteous and made us feel like we were welcomed back anytime.If you're looking for great stay while visiting the Derby City, be sure to make a reservation for the Hyatt Regency Louisville where Southern Hospitality is truly at it's best.

Room Tip: Great location. All rooms offer a great view of the city. Higher up rooms will offer a more panorami...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Louisville? Share your experiences!