“Lovely B&B with an issue or two” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Kentucky Bourbon Sampler
Ranked #10 of 17 Louisville B&B and Inns
Shelbyville, Kentucky
“Lovely B&B with an issue or two”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

First, I have to say that this property is one of the loveliest I have visited and that the décor is gorgeous and very appropriate to an historic home. However, I did run into a snag or two. I took a friend to celebrate her fiftieth birthday and really wanted to make it a memorable occasion. When I called for a reservation, the only room left was the Hearth Room which is located behind the main house in the restored kitchen. I had hoped to get the Rose Cottage but it was rented. I appreciated parking close to our door and the room was very pretty with an amazing fireplace but the greeting we received from the owner was chilly to say the least. She took my name, handed us our key, waved vaguely in the direction of the kitchen and disappeared. We did not see her again until breakfast - no information about the inn, the local area, restaurant recommendations, where we were to eat breakfast, nothing! My friend commented that if the owner did not like people, she should not be in the hospitality industry. After reading other reviews I wonder if she were having an off day or was maybe ill. The Hearth Room itself was very spacious, and clean and I loved the adjustable bed. I promptly raised both head and foot and found an ideal position for reading or viewing television. Television, oh my! The tiny television is in (yes, in) the pantry/closet to the right of the fireplace. To see it, I had to put on my distance glasses and crane my neck around the post of the bed. My friend who is shorter than I am had to sit bolt upright on the bed because, if she reclined, her size 6 feet blocked her view of the television because of the angle that it is placed at. I tried to remove it from the closet but there was not enough cord to do so. There is no refrigerator or ice bucket in the room so we went down the street to Kroger's and purchased a Styrofoam cooler and ice. In the evening, we wandered over to the main house and gave ourselves a self tour. We found a "private residence/do not disturb" sign on the owner's door that certainly did not encourage friendly overtures. In the front of the house was a very extensive bar stocked with aperitifs and after dinner cordials. I tried to access the Kahlua bottle but the ring that should break loose just spun so that without pliers the bottle could not be opened. We also found a fairly large collection of DVDs that we assumed could be used by guests as there was a DVD player in the room. Our exploration brought us to the dining room where there were several cake stands with store bought pastries sitting in them. I wondered if they were for the guests but as there were no plates, silverware or napkins available, I decided not. These store bought, stale pastries were what was served to us at breakfast. The kitchen was closed up tight and did not encourage our looking there for ice or a snack. Overall a disappointment.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
mabb, Owner at Inn at Woodhaven, responded to this review, November 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review.
I do remember talking with you about the Hearth Room and Rose Cottage for your stay. Rose Cottage is larger than the Hearth Room but unfortunately it was not available for the date you picked.
When you arrived I talked with you and checked you in. At that time you mentioned that your friend would arrive later and you would come back into the Main House with her to look around and talk with me. As you checked in I showed you the cookies and candy and soft drinks that are available next to the check in table. I also mentioned that you were welcome to help your self to the assortment of after dinner liqueurs that we have set out in the parlor. Also you were told that the coffee, tea and snack station in your room was complimentary.

I mentioned the times for breakfast and that you could also order breakfast to your room is you wished.

I must have missed you later that evening. There is a bell on the check in table for guests to ring if they need me for any reason. I am most likely in the kitchen or the office which is only 4 feet away from the bell. Guests come in all the time to get cookies etc or sit in the parlor with the liqueurs and books. I am happy to come out if needed.

I do close the office and kitchen at 9:30 pm. The dining room is set for breakfast with the pastries are on the sideboard. We purchase an assortment from Plehns Bakery, Whole Foods or Trader Joes. For instance this morning we had a apricot almond tart, a cranberry apple tart, a runny butter kuchen, pumpkin muffins and a banana blueberry bread. The guests said they were great.
These pastries are for breakfast and not available for evening snacks ...but we do have the above mentioned chocolate chip, white chocolate macadamia nut and snickerdoodle cookies and soft drinks available plus the coffee tea and snacks in each overnight accommodation.

I'm sorry that you did not stay in the Cottage as I think it would have met your needs better than the Hearth Room. While the Hearth Room is very nice and very popular ( especially in the winter with the fireplace) it is smaller than the Cottage. It has the queen bed with the remote control to raise the head or the foot of the bed. The bed is situated so that guests have a view of the fireplace. The TV is off to the right and smaller than our other TVs. If you want to have a large TV I would pick one of our other rooms. The Hearth Room is fabulous if you want to sit in front of a 10 foot wide fireplace and read a book or sip a glass of wine. We have had many a guest propose in front of the fireplace.

Every room has a refrigerator and the one in the Hearth Room is right below the TV. Ice is available in the kitchen at anytime before 9:30pm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lawrenceburg, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Inn at Woodhaven. We had a great weekend!!! The entire staff made us feel at home. We stayed in the Rose Cottage and it is a beautiful getaway. You can tell the staff works hard to keep the Inn very clean. The Inn is very private but is close to some very good restaurants on Frankfort Avenue. The breakfast that is served is fantastic!
We ran into couples from South Africa and Canada during breakfast. This is a great romantic getaway for couples. I highly recommend a stay at the Inn at Woodhaven.

Room Tip: The Rose Cottage is very private!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
mabb, Owner at Inn at Woodhaven, responded to this review, November 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Inn.
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Rose Cottage. It is a special little building set all to itself next to the Main House. We had it built in 1998 and used architectural details from both of the 1853 buildings. It actually won the Louisville Home Builders award that year.

It has a nice sitting area with a fireplace that we leave on all year long. Guests also have a cute little loft sitting area that looks out to the garden behind the Cottage. With 25 foot ceilings going up to the Cupola, a king bed, a double whirlpool tub, the fireplace sitting area and its own porches it is pretty romantic. Guests tell me you can even see a full moon through the Cupola at night from the bed.

Thank you for complimenting the staff on the care they take to keep it clean and our breakfast. We appreciate the kind words.
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

This place is awesome. My wife and I have stayed three times now and have never had any issues. We love the attention to detail and how homey the place feels. We've stayed at other places and none have quite the charm of this B&B. The staff is super nice and helpful and the breakfast was absolutely outstanding. Thank you guys so much for another awesome experience!

• Stayed May 2014
mabb, Owner at Inn at Woodhaven, responded to this review, November 9, 2014
Thank you for giving us a awesome review. I am so happy to hear that you had a great time here.
I love it when the guests sit in the parlor and socialize with others.
We appreciate that you have chosen us three times for your getaways. The staff and I thank you for choosing us and hope to see you again in the near future.
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed in the Attic Suite. We felt like we had been whisked back in time. The whole house is beautifully decorated. Friendly staff delicious breakfast. Can't wait to stay here again. At first I found it odd that it was tucked in off a road in a neighborhood of homes that seemed very close, but you don't even notice once you are there. Quiet and peaceful!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
mabb, Owner at Inn at Woodhaven, responded to this review, November 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Inn.
I'm so glad you liked the Attic Suite. It is a world to itself up their. We renovated the Attic in 2002. Before that it had never been lived in. It turned out to be a fabulous 1200 square foot space with a huge bathroom and two bedrooms.The bathroom is so large that we have room for a whirlpool tub, two pedestal sinks, a chaise lounge and dressing table. Then there is a separate toilet area and double steam shower.
Thank you for the compliment to the staff and me for our breakfasts. I still love breakfast food...even after cooking it most every day for 21 years!
It does feel like a farm house still, even though we are located in a developed area of Louisville called St. Matthews. It was originally a 500 acre farm where they grew and raised everything they needed. Once you step inside you step back to a quieter time.
And it sure is convenient to great restaurants and the Louisville attractions.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Beautifully decorated & fantastic breakfast. The bedding was fine quality & very comfortable. They supply luxurious bath products. Marsha is a great hostess & the staff are very accommodating. Offers southern comfort & charm.

Room Tip: Beautifully decorated & fantastic breakfast. Very comfy beds & nice bath products. Marsha i...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
mabb, Owner at Inn at Woodhaven, responded to this review, November 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn. I especially thank you for the compliment about our southern charm. Louisville is right on the borderline of the Mason Dixon Line, but we do like to think of ourselves as a southern town.
I love shopping for the furnishings and the linens. We have so many linens that each room has at least 10 different looks. We use bath products from Gilchrist and Soames. They are from England with a distribution center in Indianapolis. The Bee Kind line is environmentally friendly and a super product.
All the rooms are decorated differently with their own look and color scheme...makes if fun and allows me to use all my favorite colors.
We hope to see you again in the future.
Caledonia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Upon arriving at the Inn we were barked at to move our car. Hmm. Great start. While registering the I found the surroundings similar to the pictures I had viewed on-line but lacking the bright and clean appearance. The web pictures depicted beautiful lodging that we were excited to experience. In reality the pictures were probably from when the owner started the business some 20 years ago. The paint was old and tired. The overall appearance was dingy. The smells were stale and unpleasant. The owner told us that we had been upgraded but we soon realized she had given our room to someone else even thought there was a 2 night minimum. Hmm. After viewing our upgrade we declined to stay. Even thought the penalty was $200 we could not force ourselves to stay. Not sure who regulates B&B USA but this location a shame to that organization. Save yourself the trip. Find another place to stay

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
mabb, Owner at Inn at Woodhaven, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
This couple arrived at the inn and blocked the entrance and exit to the whole parking lot.
When they were asked to move the car so other guests that were waiting could come in he became angry and actually made a hand gesture to one of the staff.
So it was definitely a bad beginning.
The property photos show the inn exactly as it is and are not old but only one year old. However, since the photos were take we have completely repainted so the property looks even better than in those photos.
We upgraded the couple to a 1200 square foot suite which has a double steam shower and whirlpool tub/ The Attic Suite is so spacious that it even has two bedrooms, a sitting room and a bath room big enough to house the whirlpool, steam shower, two pedestal sinks, a dressing table and chaise lounge. The rate for the Attic Suite is normally $255 a night but they were getting it at $149.
When these guests told us they were not staying we were quite surprised. The wife said that her husband had asthma and could not stay anywhere with carpet. All of our photos show rooms with carpet and area rugs. We have them professionally cleaned each month. Many of my guests who have been coming for years have allergies and asthma and tell me they come here because our facility is so clean. We use cleaning products that are free and clear of all fragrances.
And even though they left at 4pm on the first day of a two day reservation they were not charged one cent. We were able to rebook the room for both days with the first person we called on our waiting list. They were thrilled to be able to stay in the Attic Suite..
Upton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Certainly the most "beautifully" appointed B & B in our trip to Kentucky. The breakfast was amazing in both the variety and taste. More like a restaurant in that way. It's the biggest B & B operation we have encountered, so it lacks the intimacy of smaller establishments. But for anyone going to Louisville, it certainly is an experience not to be missed.

Room Tip: We stayed in the carriage house which was lovely.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Woodhaven? Share your experiences!