“Aleksander House Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aleksander House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Louisville
Aleksander House Bed and Breakfast
You added Aleksander House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
1213 South First Street, Louisville, KY 40203 (Old Louisville)   |
Special Rate
$99 (USD)
Ranked #11 of 17 Louisville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Oconomowoc WI
“Aleksander House Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

Nancy Hinchliff welcomed me to her inn with fresh chocolate chip cookes, hot tea, and a selection of cordials. Soft music and lighting, tasteful decor, and a glass of port wine were wonderfully relaxing after my 10 hour drive.

I was visiting Louisville on business and had a schedule that changed from day to day. Nancy accommodated, cheerfully serving breakfast at whatever time my schedule required. She provided information on area bus routes and restaurants, delicious meals, and a quiet atmosphere in which I was very productive.

My room was beautifully decorated in pink and white, spacious, and immaculately clean. The bathroom was a short walk down the hall, and also immaculate. I felt very much at home in this place.

Cordial, accommodating, clean, and with delicious food -- I'm looking forward to my next visit!

Stayed October 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

We first experienced Aleksander House and its innkeeper, Nancy Hinchliff during Memorial Day weekend in 2007. We were charmed by Nancy, her inn, and the entire "Old Louisville" neighborhood, located in a national preservation area.

Nancy is a gourmet cook and our breakfasts were creative and delicious! She recently served on the committee that wrote and tested recipes for "ROOM AT THE TABLE" a wonderful coffee table cookbook featuring recipes from Kentucky's premier bed and breakfasts.

Our room was large and nicely appointed with a private bath. There were spa-type robes provided, a refrigerator with cold drinks, TV with VCR, all manner of bath and lotion products, magazines, a phone, etc. We had everything we needed for a very comfy stay.

We have since stayed at Aleksander House on several more recent occasions and have been equally charmed. We can't recommend Aleksander House more highly!

• Liked — The friendly, accomodating innkeeper
Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

Anyone who complains about the breakfast and lack of choices hasn't been to many B&B's. Aleksander House was far above average, offering all sorts of amenities, including home-baked treats, packaged goodies, iced beverages and all sorts of cordials for an evening tipple, a terrific library of videos and DVD's, etc etc. Yes, it's in an urban neighborhood, but handily close to the downtown, Churchill Downs, and the interstate, if you're heading to the countryside. We had a great stay, and I would certainly return.

• Stayed May 2008
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

I have recently returned from a work related multiple city trip. I was please that Louisville was on my agenda as one of my favorite places to stay, if it's not booked, is the Aleksander House. This is my 3rd stay and it was as enjoyable as ever. I have not stayed there in the summer before and was delighted to see the gardens in the back of the house...so pretty, so relaxing.

I have to say though that before I began writing this review, I took a look at some of the recent reviews and was a little shocked at the comments regarding the breakfasts!? I actually had to look back at the beginning to make sure that I was reading about the Aleksander House!!! One of the best things about this place is the culinary skills of the owner!? Omelets, Grand Marnier French toast, Quiches and the fresh muffins (and best coffee ever by the way)...my only thought is that perhaps the reviewers were not accustomed to the differences between B&Bs and hotels? The most charming thing about B&Bs is that they are someone's home not a Holiday Inn Express!!! (Okay, can you tell I'm an advocate for these places!)

Anyway, give it a try I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Liked — The house, the food, the comfort of home-like feel to the place
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

the house was beautiful, lovingly restored. the sitting room and the garden out back were well fixed up. the rooms were great, specially the kimberly suite for a family, bathroom is not attached to the room though. what bothered me was the noise from the streets as the house is very near the interstate. AND THE TRAIN!!!!! that honked its horn at 3:00 in the morning was REALLY LOUD!!!

parking was easy. but the neighborhood is not really a great area. probably up and coming, it is currently in a sad state. you see all those great houses all for sale or boarded up.

as for the hostess...she does what she can. she is friendly and is nice to talk to. although a little pedantic...she was a former teacher.

really disappoing was breakfast.... i somehow felt jipped here. we were not allowed to have a choice. that means, i had to eat the same meal as my family. the hostess says it was due to lack of help, and that "this is not a hotel". i expected a little more service here, considering the internet site brags about an incredible breakfast, complete with recipes and all. when you say bed and breakfast, you must live up to the guests' expectation of BREAKFAST.

hope this helps.

• Liked — Rooms were great
  • Disliked — Breakfast--had no choice in the matte
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
nhinchliff, Owner at Aleksander House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 31, 2008
Breakfast at a B&B is complimentary. Most Inns, as does the Aleksander House, prepare the very best breakfast they can, taking into consideration all the costs, amounts and types of foods possible. If we have 4-8 persons to prepare for, we must consider the time, costs and amount of food we can store and prepare at one time. We buy the very best and freshest ingredients. They must be used up in a short time, as we are a small operation and have to be careful of spoilage, as well as storage.

We purchase food just prior to our guests arrival, so we have to make a decision as to what we are going to serve, taking into consideration which items we have purchased. We regret that we are not set up to have a wide variety of items always on hand and must, therefore, as many other Inns do, serve the same items to all of our guests. We do, however, have some items, such as cereals, granola bars, Biscotti, milk, juices, muffins, granola and yogurt and usually fruit always available. Guests may request specific foods at the time they make their reservations. We always make every effort to honor their requests.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

I was expecting a charming B&B in a charming neighborhood....and got a little of each, but less than I had hoped. The house was quite charming and nicely decorated, but the stairs were a bit of an effort (not recommended for anyone with disabilities or a tendency to aches and pains), and when we arrived in our room, the toilet bowl was conspicuously 'unclean' in part. Well, OK. Not worth making a drama about, I thought--after all, the room was very clean and comfortable otherwise.
We took a walk in the neighborhood, which is up-and-coming, with many restored and beautiful old houses, but it still has a long way to go. Many shady characters and boarded-up houses, so we didn't feel comfortable being out for long.
When we returned, opening the front door took 10-15 minutes: We had been informed that the lock was a bit 'difficult,' but this happened time and time again, and when we mentioned it, there was precious little sympathy or concern for our predicament. This probably annoyed me more than anything, since a simple call to a locksmith and issuance of new keys would have remedied the problem, and, in my opinion, not to have done so was highly unprofessional.
Breakfast was generally tasty, though there wasn't much choice. If you like light and healthy fare, I would not advise this place. Upon leaving we were greeted by a thundering scene of domestic strife next door, with an angry couple screaming profanities and accusations of drug use as they gave their toddler a bumpy road down the outside steps. A strangely fitting end to our experience.

• Liked — In a pretty neighborhood, easy to find parking.
  • Disliked — Inhuman effort required to lock and unlock front door.
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
nhinchliff, Owner/Manager at Aleksander House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 31, 2008

Sorry about the stairs, but I cannot do much about that. This is an old (1882) Victorian house with 14 foot ceilings. It takes a lot of stairs to get up to the next floor. You might want to check with the Innkeeper at the next B&B you stay in, to make sure there are not a lot of stairs. Very sorry about the toilet. This is my first complaint, in 14 years, I have gotten after my housekeepers to make sure it never happens again.
Sorry about the lock on the front door. If I appeared to be unconcerned, I apologize. Most people were not having a problem. This is an old house (1882) and needs constant attention. I knew the lock stuck from time to time and had scheduled an appointment with my maintenance man to fix it five days later. Couldn't get a hold of him before then.
Breakfast is complimentary. And we do our best to please everyone. Cereals, milk, yogurt and fresh fruit, granola, heart-healthy muffins and juices are always available and considered healthy choices. In addition, we serve a hot entree daily with breakfast meat, toast and fruit.
Sorry, if you were not made aware that these choices were always available

Cleveland,Oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2007

My son and I visited Louisville for the GIE + Expo recently and had the pleasuree of staying at Aleksander B & B on S. 1st St.. Nancy was our gracious hostess and Ashley the superb breakfast chef. The three floors have been lovingly restored; the furnishings are beautiful. Nancy thinks of everything; even down to late-night night-caps after returning from concerts at 4th St. Live. Ashley's breakfasts make waking early a better experience, especially the spinach quiche. Fellow guests were convivial and shared an awesome recommendation from Nancy for dining one evening at Jack Fry's on Bardstown Rd. I would not hesitate (and at this point I already have) recommending Aleksander's B & B to anyone looking for affordable, elegant accomodations in Louisville.

• Liked — everything and the food!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Aleksander House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!