“Chic Boutique Hotel In The Heart of Downtown Louisville” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Upgrade
Ranked #4 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Louisville, KY
“Chic Boutique Hotel In The Heart of Downtown Louisville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

I booked a room at 21C as a Christmas gift to myself, as I was curious about the rave reviews and the hype surrounding this "big-city" hotel in my own "small-city" hometown of Louisville.

From the moment I arrived and stepped into the lobby, I felt like I had entered a different world. The artwork was chic, provocative, modern, and intriguing. The staff were professional and pleasant. Quirky and fun surprises waited around every corner.

My room was no exception: Exposed brick walls and classic lines, a continued artistic theme, luxurious bedding, modern amenities, and pampering touches awaited me.

I had booked a massage at the spa; It was wonderful! The fitness center was small, but state-of-the-art. The sauna and steam room (coed, so plan on bringing a suit or a big towel!) left me feeling thoroughly relaxed.

I had planned on ordering room service from Proof, the four star restaurant in the hotel. I was tempted into going into the cozy little bar instead. I sipped a drink and perused the menu. The bartender was able to chat with me very knowledgeably about the menu. I chose to get grilled octopus as an app and Bucatini Carbonara as the entree. What can I say except that it was exquisite? The prices are reasonable for dining of this quality and the staff, again, were all very friendly.

All in all, the experience lived up to the reviews and the hype. I think everyone should stay at 21C at least once, even if they live in the area. The only small point that I could even mention as a negative is that the mini-bars in the rooms are electronically sensitive. I chose to root through the selections, which added an accidental $8 charge to my bill. It was promptly removed by the front desk when I mentioned it. Since then I have had hotel management contact me with a personal email to check on my experience and respond immediately to the very tiny complaint about the mini-bar.

A stay at 21C is not only a decision you won't regret, but will create a memory that you will treasure for a long time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

Yes, it's true. 21C Museum Hotel in Louisville, KY has made me a destination traveler. I come to Louisville specifically to relax, dine and sleep at this establishment.

I have now stayed at 21C more than 7 times since it's opening in 2006. My stays have ranged from a single overnight to three nights/four days. Each time, I have found the service, staff and amenities to be of highest quality and very consistent.

What do I like about 21C? It starts when I make my reservations. What music do I want on my room's iPod? Would I like help with dinner or spa reservations? When I ask if I can check-in an hour earlier, the reply is, "Sure, no problem." Upon arrival, the doorman/valet welcome is sincere and upbeat. The front desk clerk greets me by name, quickly checks me in, asks if I have any questions, answers my questions and confirms my dinner reservations for the evening....all in about 3 minutes. The rooms are large and clean with an eclectic assortment of contemporary furnishings, iPod, huge flat screen TV, WiFi and good workspace. Beds and linens are first-class. Bathrooms are well-appointed. Evening turn-down service and chocolates are a nice touch. Room service is fast.

As for the rest of the hotel, the fitness room is modern, has an excellent range of workout equipment and doesn't smell like a high school locker room. My favorite is the sauna and steam room. Perfectly luxurious if you like this sort of thing. Very clean, easy to use, plenty of towels, nice changing facilities, did I mention very clean? I highly recommend getting a massage at 21C. Their therapists are timely, very well-trained and the massage rates are reasonable for a hotel spa.

I usually eat at Proof, 21C's restaurant, at least once during my stay. Whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner, the staff is smart, the food excellent and the atmosphere fun.

I appreciate 21C's support of contemporary artists. While staying at the hotel I have been able to view artists' work I have only seen in books as well as discover new works I admire. Elena Dorfman's photographs currently hanging in Proof are an example.

Has there ever been anything amiss during one of my stays at 21C? No. That's why I am writing this review. It truly is a world-class hotel and they should be proud of the quality and service they deliver. Kudos to 21C!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Brandenburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

Great stay, It was everything I was looking for in one package. If they did not have it, I did not need it. Thanks for a memorable stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
South Bend
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

The service was fabulous - from the moment I walked in the door, the staff was calling addressing me by my last name and check-in time was literally like 5 seconds! My room was great! I did not quite understand why 21c was rater #1 in the US until I stayed there for the night - the bed was glorious, the robe fabulous even down to the rug under my feet in the morning. I especially liked that when I came home for the eveing, the bed was drawn, lights dimmed and smooth music playing.

It is centrally located making sight seeing easy! I definitely like the luxury/fun/contemporary air 21c, especially the penguins that just seemed to pop up everywhere!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

We drove down to Louisville for a one-night anniversary getaway on a Friday night and reserved directly with the hotel. Check-in was easy and the valet was nice. The hotel lobby/gallery are really fun to explore, and we dedicated some time to this after our dinner at the hotel's restaurant, Proof on Main (which is also excellent, by the way). Guests of the hotel, restaurant patrons, and gallery hoppers alike all seemed to enjoy themselves exploring the art, especially the interactive video screen/word builder in the elevator lobby.

Our room was spacious and clean, the bed was comfortable, and the shower was nice. Also enjoyed the Malin & Goetz toiletries. The internal rooms (like ours) that face inward to a "light shaft" are a bit odd, given that--to get any sunlight in your room--you must open your shades to other rooms' windows. We did not pay for or request a city view room, and did not see one, but would guess those feel a bit less claustrophobic.

We checked in near dinnertime and checked out before breakfast to head down to the Bourbon Trail, so my only real gripe would be due to no fault of the hotel...we didn't feel like we got our money's worth, but only because we did not have to enjoy fully all that the hotel seemed to offer. It would be great for a whole weekend getaway. Two other small notes to managment: 1) some of the furniture is starting to show some wear (so soon?) and could use repair or replacing, as the dings and scratches made some things (specifically the bedside table and the wash basin table in the bathroom) look a little cheap in the midst of all the nice room amenities (great TV, iPod to borrow, nice linens, etc.). Also, note for future build (Cincinnati!): the combination of grey tile and grey grout in the bathrooms--though everything was spotless--just looked dirty, especially when it got wet. 2) Guest services/concierge tried to be helpful with a couple requests regarding nightlife and a plan for a Bourbon Trail tour, but really didn't provide anything to me that I couldn't find on my own either on the hotel website or the Bourbon Trail website. I didn't feel like I was getting much of a local/insider perspective on things to do and see.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Lexington KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

We stay at 21C for special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries,...and just to escape! The staff at 21C is impeccable. The progressive art in the museum is fun, provoking and refreshing each time we visit. The adjoining restaurant Proof on Main is wonderful for the palate and the service is outstanding. Ya' gotta go!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

21C blew me away with its friendly, accommodating staff. Having brought microwavable mac n' cheese with us we took it to the front desk at 3 am and the staff took it to the staff room and heated it up for us. I was astounded. They really bent over backwards to make us happy. My boyfriend and I were in town for a wedding and did not have a chance to check out all the neat art but what we did see was unique and thought-provoking. Additionally, the room was extremely comfortable and well appointed. I'm a light sleeper but did not hear any outside noise. I would recommend this hotel to anyone but especially for adults who are traveling for fun.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to 21c Museum Hotel Louisville? Share your experiences!