“Extremely Cool Hotel. Great Experience.” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Upgrade
Ranked #4 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Chicago, Illinois
“Extremely Cool Hotel. Great Experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The 21c is probably the coolest hotel I've ever stayed at. My wife and I stayed here with some friends for a couple nights over Thanksgiving break a year ago and we were all pretty blown away. The hotel and the rooms are great and the art museum (which is basically the whole hotel but mainly the ground floors) is legit. A lot of the art exhibits here are the kind that are semi-interactive and modern. Extremely cool and worth the relative expense in my opinion. It definitely exceeded my expectations.

The 21c is also right in the heart of downtown Louisville too which makes it a great access point to other attractions in the area. The bar/restaurant at the hotel is also excellent. If you're spending any time in downtown Louisville I would highly recommend staying here if possible.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Laura S, Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Hi Sean,
Thank you for providing feedback about your stay at 21c last year. I am happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations! We hope to see you next time your travels bring you to Louisville.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Northbridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Let me start out by saying, I do travel a bit, and I am a graduate of the Cornell Hotel school. I point that out just in case any reader, or the property, thinks that I'm not well-grounded in what constitutes good service or a nice property.

I made a reservation through my preferred airlines points program. When I got to the 21c, I was not given the size room that I had reserved, and pre-paid for. I was told by the desk that this occurred because I was paying a reduced room rate through the third-party booking system. That was strike one.
When we returned from my nephew's wedding reception, there was a very loud party in an adjoining suite, at roughly 10:30 pm. I called the front desk. They, essentially, said "we can't do much but ask them to turn it down". It was turned down - for about 15 minutes. I called again, and got no satisfaction. I then went to the suite myself, and dealt with it (my sister was booked on the same floor, and made a similar complaint). So, leaving potentially nasty conflicts up to individual guest resolution - strike two.

Upon check-out in the morning, there were erroneous charges on my room account. I had to wait a bit, while the guest in front of me cleared up the erroneous charges on his room account. Strike three.

This is a very nice, fancy-looking property. They have a wonderful reputation as one of the best properties in the country. They have no freakin' idea how to treat guests that aren't "A" list. This trip was actually before Feb. 2013, but, that's as far back as tripadvisor allows me to go. I thought I had already written a review - don't know if it was somehow "deleted", or what, but it isn't in my "trip history" as it should be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Gabe I, Director of Operations at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Matthew, first let me thank you for sharing your comments with us. Your feedback is invaluable.

Regardless of how you choose to reserve a room, we are committed to providing consistent and courteous service from start to finish. I’m very sorry this was not your experience. We will be using this as an opportunity for retraining.

Your comfort is our highest priority. We have team members on property 24 hours a day, prepared to respond to and resolve any noise complaint with diligence. Clearly, we missed the mark and failed to provide the intended service.

I’m happy to hear we were able to resolve the error on your bill, but I’m sorry it took much time. Again, thank you posting your review. We will use this incredibly helpful tool to ensure your negative experience is an isolated one. Additionally, we would love to welcome you back for another opportunity to knock your socks off.

Best Regards,
Gabe
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I didn't expect to find such a nice hotel in Kentucky, to be honest. It was the highlight of our short stay in Louisville. While the art is mostly from up-and-coming artists, a lot of it was very good and better organized that in some galleries. Yes, the design is modern and minimal but that does not adversely effect the level of comfort: our room had a spacious and well-thought out layout, the bed and pillows had the right amount of firmness, and the bathroom was pleasant and with good-quality toiletries. If I ever come back to Louisville, this is where I'm staying.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura S, Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello NikaRossa,
Thank you for choosing to stay at 21c Louisville. I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised by our hotel, and that we made your trip to Kentucky memorable. We hope to see you in Louisville soon, and we invite you to checkout our new properties in Cincinnati and Bentonville!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

After looking at this hotel online I thought it would be nice but it definitely exceeded expectations. Rooms were beautiful, spacious and bathroom was classy, modern and clean. Loved the bath products and robes. The art was everywhere and even my teen sons enjoyed it. Hotel staff were all very helpful and pleasant. Wish I stayed longer and will be back!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi Morgan,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your visit to 21c Louisville. I am glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your guestroom accommodations. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

The staff were friendly and helpful. This is a beautiful, comfortable space if you like the finer things in life and appreciate contemporary art. We loved that it was not a stuffy hotel as we've sometimes experienced with "nicer/pricier" properties. We enjoyed breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. The food was outstanding, and the staff went out of their way to engage our 2 year old son.

• Stayed December 2013
Hi Trista,
Thank you for sharing the photo of your son dining at Proof on Main with our Red Penguin. What a great picture! It sounds like you and your family truly had a fun time exploring our museum galleries and relaxing in your guestroom. We love hosting families at 21c! We hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I really didn't expect this hotel to live up to all the accolades and even suspected that it was being generated by some nefarious PR machine. But I must say that I had one of the best hotel experiences ever here. It offers the ideal combination of big-city sophistication and small-town hospitality - great service, convenient location, comfortable rooms, generous amenities, beautiful design and amazing art throughout the property.

The front desk staff was very friendly - and not in a rehearsed or forced way. They all truly seemed to be pleased to help. The bellhop even took my luggage halfway down the block for me in the freezing cold. Take that, NYC!

The room was great. We loved the beds, in-room Nespresso maker, complimentary NY Times, spacious bathroom, and Malin + Goetz toiletries. Our room faced the atrium, so it was quiet but allowed some natural light to come in.

We didn't eat in the restaurant this trip, but I had a very nice meal on a previous visit, when the server even gave me the recipe for the grits, which will ruin you for all other grits for the rest of your life. The bar had a huge selection of bourbons, but we didn't have time to go there because there were simply too many other places in the area to sample bourbon.

The exhibitions were very well-curated. I loved them all and my companion even said that there wasn't a single piece that he didn't enjoy.

Well done, 21C! I will definitely be back for another stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Laura S, Associate Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Hello TravelerNYC2013,
Thank you for sharing such kind words about your stay at 21c in Louisville! I especially love the part where you said 21c offers "the ideal combination of big-city sophistication and small-town hospitality." That's exactly what we strive to deliver through our genuinely friendly team, contemporary art museum and award-winning restaurant. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your visit and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

The river is rising and we are once again making advance reservations at our beloved 21c! to flee to if/when we are flooded out! They are the single MOST understanding people possible! - who allow us to keep changing our reservation to "match the mood" of the river (the height the water is rising to.) We have to be out at a certain height or we are dangerously stuck. They allow us to add to the days and nights we think we will need to stay, cancel early when the water drops back down and we can return home, etc. Spring of 2011 we had to be gone from our home 49 out of 60 days. Two of our "escapes" were to 21c, the 2nd time for nearly three WEEKS. They graciously gave us a discount (rather than our having to take out a mortgage on our room) AND allowed the rest of our family -our three cats- to join us! BLESSED 21c was there for us in EVERY way and provided not only tea, sympathy and sincere interest in our ongoing dilemma, but a lovely, large, comfortable, perfectly clean room, lent us a small refrigerator for our snacks, always offered superb service, 24hr. use of the computers, fabulous art to entertain us, great food at Proof, friendly door guys and an experience that rather than being an ongoing nightmare, was actually rather fun!!! Yes, home is where your heart is, but 21c will ALWAYS have a place in ours too. Porter W and George B, Louisville, Ky.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Laura S, Associate Sales Manager at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Hi Porter and George,
Thank you for sharing your story about your visits to 21c. We love hosting you all! You are so positive during your stays which must actually be quite a stressful time for you. We understand that guests stay with us due to all types of circumstances, and it's important for us to make our guests feel welcome and pampered. Thank you for choosing 21c as your "home away from home!"

Been to 21c Museum Hotel Louisville? Share your experiences!