“Interesting hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Interesting hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

I was recently on a business trip and decided to make a stop in Louisville as I had never been. After reading some reviews on tripadvisor and some others I decided to go with 21c.

The property itself is great and very interesting and unique. The restaurant was very good and seems like the spot to see and be seen in Louisville. The happy hour crowd was quite large and energetic.

As far as the rooms go, they're pretty bland with dull colors and no unique features. This left me a bit disappointed. Being that the room was $275 per night I was expecting something more along the lines of the rooms at the Joule in Dallas. If they added a little zest to the room itself the stay would've been excellent and well worth the money. As someone previously mentioned you don't even have to book a room here to experience the art/restaurant/etc

The front desk staff were so-so. They were nice but seemed disinterested in anything but exchanging pleasantries. However I ordered room service twice and the two ladies who brought it were excellent and super friendly. Food was great as well.

Overall it was a good stay. I think they need to do something to the rooms for me to stay here again though.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Chicago
1,265 reviews 1,265 reviews
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My wife and I walked though this hotel and museum one afternoon. 21C is a wonderful place to visit. Definitely a must see for visitors. A big bonus is the art museum is free to walk through.

Don't forget to check out some of the exhibits outside as well. The Cloud Rings in the alley, the 21c Pip Mobile stretch limo... wow. Neat stuff on display outside.

21c Museum Hotels is on the move, bringing its unique experience to cities across the country. Born out of a desire to integrate contemporary art into everyday life, 21c launched in downtown Louisville, Kentucky in 2006.

We didn't stay at the hotel - this review is just for the contemporary art on display outside and in their lobby area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed at the 21C Museum Hotel on 09/11/12. Great Hotel with some great art work. Very nice, clean, comfortable rooms and a great staff. Restaurant and Bar located within the hotel. Located downtown Louisville so very convienent. Would recommend this hotel any time. Will stay there again when in Louisville.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lambertville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed one night at 21c Museum September 9th to celebrate my birthday. This hotel is truly a 1st. class act. From the moment you step inside the door you are greeted by a friendly staff member. The first floor is an art museum. Our check in was quick. Our room faced the Ohio River. The room is decorated with ultra modern styling. The king bed was very comfortable with numerous pillows. The bathroom although small was elegant.
We plan to visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Western Norway, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary. We had the best time! It's so much fun to run down to the lobby and look at the art, the rooms are beautiful and inspiring. The bathroom was spacious and modern and has Malin and Goetz shampoo, body lotion, etc. which I love. The restaurant was good, we only ate breakfast there, and were really pleased with the coffee and the food. We went to the bar in the evening and they have the best tonic ever, they make it themselves I was told. I am still dreaming of the vodka and tonic's that I drank. This hotel was so much fun and so relaxing....can't wait to do it again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I couldn't resist staying at this hotel from checking it out on their web site. It just looked so incredibly cool, and I loved all the penguins. It seemed so cute. Having now stayed there, I can still say it's very cool but the web site is definitely misleading. So many of those photos were clearly staged. There weren't that many penguins (not like the pictures), the cool car was not in front, and some of the cute items they pictured in the rooms weren't in ours (in fact, I found our room to be quite simple). This hotel is quite artsy and pretty wild! As soon as you walk in, there are naked statues of children over the reception area! It didn't bother me, but my daughter was kind of disgusted by it. They have so many fascinating things all over the hotel and in the musuem (I especially loved the drawing of the haunted doll house! I just thought it was so cleverly funny! I wish they sold a poster of it!). The falling letters on the wall near the elevators is so cool, and everyone was fascinated by it! I thought everything was so cool, but I can see how some people would find it offensive, so you have to decide if this hotel is right for you. For the price we paid, I was disappointed in the rooms. They were so simple. Nothing cute or really cool about it, except for the pink lights outside the room (had that NYC look to it). This is not a hotel that caters to children (there is no children's menu), so we had to get pizza delivery for dinner (we did go to the bar for drinks and french fries). I'm not sure why they advertise that the rooms come with mint juleps. All they have is is a book on them and two cups. When I asked them about this, they were sort of sarcastic, making it clear I could have the cups but I would be charged accordingly! I decided to try one in the hotel bar. I didn't think it was very good. Virtually everthing in this hotel can be experienced without staying here. You can even buy all the bathroom goods, which they sell in the gift shop, which is right when you immediately walk in. The hotel is conveniently located to many attractions, just a short walk to the Louisville Slugger Museum, Science Musuem, and many other cool-looking attractions. For that, it's worth the stay. I still think it's overpriced for what it is, and I feel a little misled. I'm not sure I would stay here again when I could stay somewhere else for much less, and still come here and experience everything for free! Oh, I will add that they were very nice about letting me leave my car there for several hours after I checked out. They loaded it with all my stuff, and held if for us until we were done our activiites in the area. I greatly appreciated this!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GabeIsaac, Director of Operations at 21c Museum Hotel Louisville, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
I am delighted you found 21c Museum Hotel to be unique and full of energy but also disappointed we failed to provide you with the level of service intended. We know that traveling with children can sometimes be tricky and should have mentioned our ability to go 'off menu' at check-in. Chef Levon Wallace loves to get creative catering dishes to younger guests. You were unable to check out the 21c Pip Mobile because it was out-on-the-town? Our friendly staff should have jumped at the opportunity to distract you from disappointment with other highlights on property and their knowledge of the area. Similarly, we failed to communicate with sincere concern when you inquired about the in-room mint julep cups. It’s our goal to knock your socks off; clearly, we missed the mark.

Guest feedback is invaluable to our success; my sincerest thanks to you for sharing your experience. I have and will continue to use your comments as examples of how we can provide intuitive service. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations as it’s our goal to exceed them. We look forward to your return and the opportunity to win you over.
Midland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We ended up here via third party booking site and so didn't know what to expect. The hotel is fantastic a mix of art gallery and museum. The staff are friendly and the facilities great. We loved the art and spend an hour looking at and interacting with the exhibits. I grantee you'll spend at least 10 mins each elevator trip trying to catch letters. Doesn't make sense? Go and see for yourself.

We loved it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to 21c Museum Hotel Louisville? Share your experiences!