“Good Food For an Even Better Price” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #347 of 1,517 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Asian, Korean, Mongolian
Lexington, Kentucky
“Good Food For an Even Better Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My friend and I went here for lunch. The resteraunt seemed to be clean. We both had lunch for $15 total. It was filling and tasty. The only complaint I have is that they did not have as many vegetable options as a lot of the other Mongolian Grills I have been to.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great service for a buffet style restaraunt.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a new place for lunch and happened upon Shah's as we were shopping nearby.
The owner met us at the door and explained the set up of the make-your-own soup bar. My husband usually passes on the soup, but he tried some, made his way, and he loved it. The salad bar is small, but the two home-made dressings are delicious!
This is not a typical buffet style. You only get one trip to the grill for lunch, but after soup and salad, there was more than plenty of food. (Dinner is unlimited trips). Holly, the owner, asked how spicy we liked our food and showed us the signs above the food station with different sauce recipes after you choose the food you want. I was very pleased with my meal! Everything was perfect!
I didn't learn about the Korean dinners available there until reading a previous review, so I am so excited to go back for dinner!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Louisville, KY
“New name, same owner, same great food, and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

2 Hahn's Mongolian Gril is now known as Shah's Mongolian Grill. One of the owners (the husband) retired; the wife has assumed control of the restaurant.

A few changes have taken place besides the name. The sauce suggestions above the ingredient bar have changed a bit, and a couple of new sauces (Orange and General Tso's) are available for diner's stir-fries. The salad bar has integrated a make-your-own-soup bar with broth, noodles, finely chopped vegetables and seasonings.

The most significant change, however, is the availability of a serviceable Korean menu. All the classics are here: bibim bap, chap chae, jjajang myun, bulgogi and galbi, as well as a very good rendition of doenjang jjigae (spelled daen jang chi gae on the menu), a wonderfully warming miso-based stew which is perfect for cold winters.

In accordance with Korean traditions, all Korean meals are served with an assortment of banchan (small side dishes, including the quintessential kimchi). Although it's not listed on the printed appetizer menu in the restaurant, you can ask for tteokbokki; it's quite good here. With the loss of Arirang restaurant a couple of years ago, it's good to know that Korean cuisine can still be found in eastern Louisville. You can visit the Website for a complete list of Korean entrees.

As for the Mongolian side of things, Shah's is every bit as good as it was under the 2 Hahn's moniker, if not better. This place is DEFINITELY better than the nearby BD's Mongolian, and with the addition of Karaoke nights, the bar is more fully stocked with drinks than before, including a nice soju (Korean rice wine) called Bek Se.

This place is still Louisville's best Mongolian grill, and the Korean menu makes it better, especially for me; I love Korean food, but my wife doesn't, and at this place she isn't stuck with a cuisine she doesn't care for. Mixed-palate families like mine will love Shah's.

Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Paducah, Kentucky
“Never come to Louisville without eating here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

This is one of our absolute favorite restaurants of all time. Have never ordered off the menu or dined during lunch - but the unlimited dinner is terrific. Our kids even like it because they have control of what they eat - they like more meat and less vegetables - so that is what they get. The servers are wonderful - even when we haven't visited in 8-10 months they act like we are their best customers.
Haven't been since August - and am going thru withdrawl!
Love it!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“What makes this restaurant is the grill -- without it, the place would suck. I would call this place a perfect lunch...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

What makes this restaurant is the grill -- without it, the place would suck. I would call this place a perfect lunch place to put together a very tasty, healthy mixture of vegetables and meats that are grilled up very nicely for you. I especially appreciate the curry recipe!