“Luxurious, Gracious, Clean, Smart, Walk to food and drink -or stay in” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Louisville Marriott Downtown

You added Louisville Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Louisville Marriott Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   280 West Jefferson Street, Louisville, KY 40202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #15 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Luxurious, Gracious, Clean, Smart, Walk to food and drink -or stay in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Did a week in Louisville. This was the 2nd time I have stayed at this property. I enjoyed this property so much the first time I stayed here, that when the meeting moved out to Oxmoor (12 miles east) -I opted to stay here and drive to the meeting.
The Hotel offers all the best a marriott can provide. Well appointed room, very friendly and well trained staff, a location that is close to 4th st (a pedestrain mall) -but not so close as to keep you up at night or bother you with the crowds.

The Hotel has a Starbucks in the lobby -which I love to get before the ride. It offers fine dining and a more casual resturant. I opted to eat out of the property most nights -just because I like to get to know the area I'm staying in.

The property offers a nice gym with lots of machines -all in working order as of 6/09 -it also has a pool and a jacuzzi.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

Great staff. Easy check in/check out.
Great location if visiting 4th Street Live.
Pretty lobby, comfortable rooms. Will probably visit again next year for Derby Festival.

• Stayed April 2009
Pune
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

A new hotel, just about 5 years old. Great building, good and big lobby, friendly staff who are really concerned to make you feel at home.

The only thing I observed was that in the fine dining restaurant wasn't really fine, not the food but the service. No service protocol was in sight in the restaurant. Staff was friendly but were setting the tables up in a very casual manner and every 10 minutes were passing by the table and asking if everything was fine. Some guests really don't like to be disturbed. I also saw them handle the cutlery with bare hands which is weird.

The hotel's concierge desk is closed on around the weekend. But the front desk staff is equally helpful and have good knowledge of the area and attractions.

But overall experience was great. I would recommend this to anyone going to Louisville as it has a great location and many things to do around except on Sundays.

• Liked — Near;y everything
  • Disliked — There is a fee to use the Internet
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

My husband, 3 month old baby and I just came back today from a weekend stay at this hotel. We were looking for a place where we could enjoy a relaxing retreat in Louisville....a place where we have been before for such a weekend. This is a very nice, upscale hotel in the downtown area. The rooms have obviously been recently renovated. The bed is up there with one of the best hotel beds I've slept in. There are many pillows on it and the bedspread is a duvet covered down comforter that appears to get washed with each guest's stay. Our room was on the 15th floor (of 17 floors) and was a slightly larger corner room facing the river, which was a great view. There is an extra window in the corner rooms....ours faced a block that consisted entirely of bars/nightclubs and an adult bookstore. So, during the day the view is wonderful, but then in the evening (which was a Saturday night), things got pretty loud. I'm not sure if the corner room impacted the sound we heard (which was a lot....especially the loud cars with their bass at night, people talking in the street, etc.) or if it was that it was a Saturday night. My thought is that a non-corner room facing the river might provide better sound insulation if you plan on staying there during the weekend. Also at night there were some odd noises from the hotel pipes....like a knocking when people used water. Other than the noise at night (and a nightstand light not working), though, this was a wonderful room. The Bath & Body Works toiletry items were a great addition!

Checking in and checking out we had wonderful service from the staff. A couple of frustrations, though. The first was at check-in. We pulled into the covered roof area thinking that is where you pull in to register...well, its also where the valet people are. We went ahead and valeted the car (knowing it was $25 vs. the $21 self park for overnight stays). When we got inside to check-in, once the front desk found out I was a rewards member, they gave me a paper where I could select one free item for our stay. Some of the choices were: Free bottled water in the room, free internet (usually $13 a day), one free movie, free continental breakfast or free self-parking. I asked if we could do the self-parking even though we just got valeted since I didn't know he was going to offer this.....they said "no". That was a little annoying since it would have been nice to save $25! We took the free internet instead....which however, they didn't put into our account and it ended up on our bill that we received under our door in the morning. We had to ask them to remove the charge when we checked out, which they were very happy to do, though.

When we checked in, we also needed a crib for our baby. I requested it from the front desk, however an hour later we still did not have our crib. I called the front desk and they brought one up not long after that. When they brought it up it was a pack n play. That was fine, however they gave me one of those giant hotel blankets as the bedding for it. Most parents would agree that would not be safe at all for a baby to sleep on. To improve, they should have a pack n play sheet that they provide for the crib. So, if you come here, be sure to bring your own pack n play sheet if you desire a fitted sheet for your child to sleep on. We ended up using the complimentary robe as her bedding instead and just tucked it under the mattress.

The pool area and fitness area looked nice, though we didn't have a chance to use them. The flavor infused water down in the lobby was an amazing afternoon refreshment. They had a choice of strawberry orange or cucumber lime. The valet staff was very helpful to us during the stay. A Mr. Ed, if you get a chance to meet him, is a great addition to their staff and would be in the valet area to greet you upon arrival.

The rate we received for the night was a $179 stay for breakfast rate. The breakfast we would have would be on a Sunday morning in their restaurant Blu. When I called and spoke with the front desk before our arrival, I was told there are 2 buffets on Sunday morning. One that is $14.95 and is just breakfast items, and then starting at 11 until 2p, there is one that has both breakfast items and brunch items for $19.95. I asked if we showed up at 11a for breakfast, would our "stay for breakfast rate" include the $19.95 brunch and I was assured it would. I also double-checked this and called the restaurant (Blu), and they confirmed this as well. When we went to the restaurant around 10:30a to eat today, they were getting things set up for the more brunchy type food. We started with some of the breakfast (which was decent....especially the omelettes made to order) and then quickly received a bill from the waitress saying that the hotel would cover our breakfast but we would pay her a tip (nothing's ever free, right?). I noticed the amount was the lesser $14.95 per person amount. Anyways, not thinking much of it we went to partake in the brunch items (which were amazing.....a person preparing pasta made to order, a turkey carving station, wonderful desserts), and when we brought our plates back, the waitress told us we can't eat that food that its only for the people paying for brunch. I didn't say anything to her about my conversation with the front desk person b/c it just wouldn't had been worth the hassle at that point, but it was very frustrating to have spoken to two people about it at the hotel and then to have a waitress tell us otherwise in a not so kind manner. I would never recommend paying full price for the breakfast because it is certainly overpriced.

There is a full Starbucks on the property (accessible from inside the lobby) which would have probably been great if it was open longer hours (closed at 5p on Sat.) and it wasn't even open during a time when it said it would be on Sunday (11a).

Overall, I would actually recommend this hotel because it is so nice (and why I've giving it 4 stars) and I think some of our issues were just by chance, but going into it next time, I would try for a room that wasn't on the corner (but again, facing the river!) and would be prepared to locate the self-park, find a way to have a brunch-breakfast included (if we stay a Sat. night) and be sure to bring my own pack n play w/ bedding if we bring the little one again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
birmingham al
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

In town for weekend getaway. Service and staff was great. Concierge gave great tips for restaurants nearby . Went out of the way to find a "special" restaurant for the evening. One side of hotel has so- so view of the city , the other a nice view of the river which is a few blocks away . Hotel was decorated for Christmas and the lobby lights where down low. VERY ROMANTIC. Each evening, flavor infused waters in beautiful decanters was a courtesy drink for guests in the lobby. I looked forward to it each day. Sport restaurant located in the hotel ok. Food was regular chain menu fare. Nachos's , Hamburgers etc. Several large in house meetings going on but did not interfere with the service of staff. Will return.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

I stayed here for the National Guard Association Conference and was overall impressed. The staff was unbelievable!! From the moment I drove up and a bellman helped me unload the luggage and refused to allow me to carry it myself to checkout when they helped once again. I am a Marriott Rewards member and try to stay in the company it was a bonus that the conference was there. Being a rewards member I was upgraded to the Concierge floor without asking and was treated first class all the way. The room was very clean and very well furnished from the pristine king sized bed to the flat screen TV. Turn down service was very nice and unobtrusive. The concierge was extremely helpful with a variety of solutions to any problem encountered.
The only issue was an undisclosed "no party" policy. During the conference there are a variety of hospitality suites with a common theme and competition. Not sure why, but the hotel booked guests for the conference on other floors than the hospitality suites and booked non-conference guests on the hospitality suite floor. Shortly after the suites kicked I began noticing guests going down to the lobby and back then back to the elevators in order to switch to rooms not on the same floor. The guests didn't seem too upset with us, only confused that they would be booked on our floor. After a little of this, hotel security arrived on the floor and began asking people to leave and threatening to call the police claiming we were violating the hotel's "no party" policy. I'm not sure what they thought we were going to be doing with a floor of hospitality suites and the steady flow of large screen TV's, props, and audio equipment going into them.
I would definitely stay here again while traveling or for a night away but I'm sure the conference will be headed back to the Galt House when it is Louisville's turn to host again.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
LOUISVILLE, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

This past weekend my husband and I stayed at the Marriott in downtown Louisville, Ky. We enjoyed our entire stay. Room service was excellent, our suite was spotless and the bed was wonderful. We ate at the Blu which was top notch. We used the pool and the hot tub which was great because it was snowing outside!
Overall we could not have asked for anything better.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Louisville Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!