“Nice hotel, nice location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Louisville Marriott Downtown

Save Saved
You added Louisville Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Louisville Marriott Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   280 West Jefferson Street, Louisville, KY 40202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #15 of 95 hotels in Louisville
Bay City, Michigan
“Nice hotel, nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

This was the conference hotel for a conference I attended. The location was great and in walking distance to 4th Street Live, good restaurants, shops, and the convention center. The rooms were clean and comfortable and each day our housekeeper provided us with a new "towel" animal or flower. The conference facilities on the 2nd floor were perfect and comfortable, and provided for good breakout rooms and a comfortable meeting space. Now, about the food...the banquet/luncheon food was outstanding. The rosemary/sea salt roasted potatoes --- can I just say "Yum!!" The restaurants on site were also very good with quick and friendly service. Overall, a good experience and if I had a chance to come back to Louisville, I'd likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Just watch what they consider a "river view." Our room was supposedly that, but it was ju...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Eamon_OBrien, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
CubbyCat123,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind words about our team, namely special touches from our housekeeping staff as well as your banquet experience. Our staff takes great pride in making personal connections and it sounds like the "towel animals" and high quality of food did that. Those potatoes are one of my favorites as well.

We also appreciate your feedback on the river view rooms. While our hotel does have rooms with outstanding views of the Ohio River, it sounds like we failed to provide one for you. If you could please contact me directly the next time you visit I would like to personally ensure that you experience that on your next trip: eamon.obrien@marriottlouisville.com.

439 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Nothing fancy, average hotel. It was clean, staff were friendly and helpful. There was a convention in town, which made it kind of loud outside of the room (inside was quiet). It is within walking distance, but not a close walking distance to the river.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Orchard Road, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Generally I find Marriott's pretty good, staff try hard etc. At this Marriott I think they find it easy to fill the hotel so don't try that hard. I'd booked a twin bed room and was told it was a river view room when I checked in only to find the view I had was of the wall of the convention centre opposite. When I queried it I was told that actually it's "a river direction view room"! Why bother?
That kind of set the tone, the room was fine, clean etc if a little spartan. I joined a colleague for breakfast in the Club Lounge. It was okay.
Overall, quite expensive & nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: If you actually want to see the river go for a high floor, I was on the 8th.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Eamon_OBrien, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
PXJSingapore,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We value your feedback even though we failed to meet your expectations on your recent trip. Let me assure you that this failing is the exception rather than the rule.

Our hotel tries to provide world class customer service and we clearly did not do that during your stay. We would appreciate the opportunity to serve you again in the future. When you come back to Louisville please reach out to me directly at: eamon.obrien@marriottlouisville.com so I can ensure you are most comfortable while here.

In the meantime, we will continuously train our staff on explaining our various room types/views to our guests to ensure that the room types requested are honored whenever possible.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is a great hotel for someone needing to stay downtown. It is within safe walking distance to Yum Center, shopping, and restaurants. The Sky Walk is connected to this hotel. The food is really good as well.

• Stayed March 2014
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I enjoyed a stay at the Marriott in downtown Louisville while I was attending a conference. The location was terrific for me since it had a walkover to the convention center where I attended meetings. There is a lot to do within walking distance of the hotel...restaurants, museums, riverfront. It is a block away from the free 4th street trolley and the free Market St. trolley. These free trolleys can take you to most of the places you want to go downtown. My room was on the 10th floor, and was very quiet with a very comfortable bed. The room has a coffee maker and frig, but no microwave. The hotel has 2 very nice restaurants on site. The buffet breakfast is good, but costs extra--not included in room price. The use of the computers in the business center did not cost extra like so many hotels---nice touch. The staff at this hotel was outstanding! They were always very helpful and friendly. In fact, we found all of Louisville to be this way.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Eamon_OBrien, Director of Sales at Louisville Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
CajunCountryBR,
Thank you for your comments about our hotel and city. We are so thankful you decided to stay with us and more excited that you were able to experience much that Louisville has to offer. While we are hosting Derby this weekend, the city has a ton to offer throughout the year!

We look forward to serving you again on your next trip. In the meantime, I will enjoy some Benjy Davis from your fine city.

Take care,
Freeport, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel twice now for conventions, two nights each time.

The pros:

This hotel is spacious and even though it houses a lot of guests, the elevators are generally fast enough to clear the lobby of even convention sized crowds.

Staff are friendly, there are plenty of them, and we felt well taken care of.

The convention space is large and we felt that even though we were in the city, our teens were safe in the hotel.

The in-house restaurant/sports bar (Champions) is excellent.

The beds, although only double sized, were comfortable, and room amenities above average. The only complaint about the beds was the pillows. One was a small thin feather pillow while the other was a huge 2 foot square lump of solid, dense fill. Neither was really appropriate as a pillow for sleeping and I was glad that I'd brought my own pillow.

The cons:

Internet is not free (although in some circumstances such as a convention your group might be able to negotiate this point).

Parking access is clunky and the booths are not staffed 24 hours a day. When you're staying in the hotel this is not a problem, but keep your room key for your final departure or you may not be able to exit the garage.

The mini-fridge in everybody's rooms tended to freeze anything put inside after about 12 hours. The garage elevators (there are only two) were very slow and created huge queues.

Electrical outlets: To plug in my cpap machine I had to pull up the mattress and reach far behind the bed to get to an outlet which was already in use by the clock radio and bedside lamp. I had to choose between knowing what time it was or being able to see. Even at the desk there were only two outlets. With three teens staying in my room with me, those two outlets looked like the snarl seen in the movie "A Christmas Story".

Tip: if you are using the hotel parking garage and there is a big line for the garage elevators, try talking to one of the bell boys or the front desk for the location of the nearest stairs. If you are fit enough to carry your luggage down a few flights of stairs, you can save some waiting.

Food:

I'll cover the Champions Restaurant in another review, but in short, it is a nice in-hotel restaurant serving excellent food quickly, and for a reasonable price. There is another restaurant in-house, but it was too pricey for our group. There is also a Starbucks in-house.

A short walk away is "Fourth Street Live", a collection of restaurants and shops including Gorton Biersch and Hard Rock, as well as a large food court with all the usual suspects (the food court closes at 6pm).

There is a Papa Johns Pizza located on the opposite corner of the hotel, near enough for a quick takeout pie.

Room Tip: High Floors have a terrific view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed for 2 night while we were in town for the Derby Half Marathon. The hotel is easy to get to off of the highway and valet parking was a breeze. I recommend Marriott mobile check in service, we were parked and in our room within 15 minutes!

We were on the top floor with a view of the city. The room was spacious and the bed was comfy. My only complaint would be the closet which was shallow and tiny and almost felt like an after thought.

We ate at the italian restaurant and also at Champions which are both in the hotel lobby. It was nice to have decent food options without having to leave. The location of the hotel is within walking distance to other great restaurants, 4th street Live, and a CVS. We were also right across the street to the convention center which made for a very convenient trip to pick up our packets for the race.

Overall a great stay with reasonable rates and friendly service. We'd be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Louisville Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!