“Very authentic classical Japanese Food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #782 of 1,440 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Louisville, Kentucky
“Very authentic classical Japanese Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

As a regular traveler to Japan over the years i acquired a taste for real Japanese food and this restaurant delivers it consistently,

I particularly like their Bento Box and my wife is big on their classical tempura.

Visited July 2012

Louisville, KY
“Good sushi. Too bad the hibachi wasn't up to par.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

My wife, daughter and I went here recently. My wife and I had been here once before, specifically for the midweek sushi special, and we later acquired a Groupon for a return visit; we decided to give the hibachi table a try this time.

The host led us through the traditional dining area, which features a large, stylish and quite clean koi pond, to our hibachi table. A server quickly appeared and took our dinner, sushi and drink orders.

Unfortunately, our hibachi chef apparently had a bit of an off-night. First, he flubbed at least three times on the introductory utensil-juggling demonstration, almost knocking over my beverage with one of the mishaps. Later, as he was getting a bit of butter for the fried rice, he had a tough time slicing off the butter and used the side of one of the sauce bins as a cutting board of sorts. This was right next to my wife's head; she had a hard time pretending not to see it, and came close to leaving. Finally, he went a bit heavy-handed with the salt shaker, making just about everything rather salty.

We had ordered some sushi to go along with the meal. It turned out okay-- not as good as the sushi at our usual favorite, Fuji at Springhurst (see my review), but still decent enough to keep me from marking "below average" on the Food portion of my ratings. The midweek sushi special is a good deal, so those looking for a filling yet inexpensive sushi meal should check it out at least once.

Apart from our less-than-stellar hibachi chef, the rest of the service is competent and courteous. Our Groupon discount was handled promptly and properly, without complaint or issue. Had it not been for the subpar hibachi experience, I would've bumped up my Service rating at least two notches.

• Visited February 2012