“Delicious!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nam Nam

Nam Nam
318 Wallace Avenue, Louisville, KY (Central Business District)
502.891.8859
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Neighborhood: Central Business District
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

It's a tiny place, not alot of room to sit.... but the food is worth it! DELICIOUS! That is the only way to describe it. Owners and staff are friendly and cheerful. I am glad that our neighborhood finally has a great vietnamese restaurant like this! I highly recommend!!!!!!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Some of the best Vietnamese I've ever had and I lived in Hcmc,Vn for a few years. Food takes a bit but it cause its all made to order. A must if your in the mood for some good Asian food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

I've been to Nam Nam three times now. Twice was carryout, ate in once. It is very tiny, but they do have outdoor seating in nice weather. Their predecessor, Simply Thai, did so well in this location that they expanded and moved across the street and even added a second location. I predict the same will happen with Nam Nam. I had the vermicilli dish once, which was cold. The flavors were good, but it wan't my favorite dish. The clay pot catfish is fabulous with an interesting sauce. However, the one meal I cannot resist is the Shaking Beef. My husband actually ate it 3 times in one week! Moist chunks of tenderloin are marinated in a tangy sauce then flash cooked. So lean, yet it melts in your mouth. It comes with a dipping sauce and a mixture of fresh greens.

Once, on Christmas Eve, we stopped by for an order of beef and they were out. They were kind enough to tell us to return in 20 minutes and they would get some more. That's the kind of people who run this business! Whether you dine in or carry out, you won't be disappointed. The prices are reasonable as well.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Louisville, KY
“Small on size, but big on flavor.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Nam Nam Cafe is a tiny restaurant on Wallace Avenue-- one of those blink-and-you'll-miss-it places. My advice: Don't blink-- you may miss out on some well-executed classic VIetnamese cuisine.

The decor is simple and unassunimg, yet clean. The interior area seats only 20; there are a few outdoor tables in warmer months. The unisex restroom is a one-seater. Despite its size, this should not be considered a "fast food" restaurant; instead, it's full-service in microcosm.

I was greeted warmly as I walked in, and was presented a menu that is somewhat limited compared to several other area Vietnamese establishments. Hoping that the owners limited it so that more care could be done to the dishes, I made my order: Buddha Rolls as an appetizer and Vegetarian Noodle Soup as the entree.

The Buddha Rolls (also known as goi cuon chay) are strips of pan-seared tofu, spinach, herbs, carrots and rice noodles wrapped in a round sheet of rice paper. These are often referred to as summer rolls. The ones I had turned out nice and cool, unlike other restaurants that assemble them while the tofu is still hot and you have to wait a minute before eating them.

Even more impressive was the Vegetarian Noodle Soup, Nam Nam's vegetarian version of the classic Vietnamese dish called pho. I was feeling slightly under the weather, and this hit the spot perfectly. The serving size was more than generous, and I left feeling satisfied yet refreshed.

The service was friendly and spot-on with timing.

There was only one downside to this visit that I can think of, and it's minor. I chose the Jasmine Green Tea. It was good, but considerably overpriced. Next time, I'll opt for something that dents the wallet a little less harshly.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Exceptional Vietnamese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

This is a very small, clean and simple little cafe. What it lacks in atmosphere is made up in the quality of the food. Our server was very pleasant and attentive. We ordered the Saigon noodles with pork. It was simply delicious! The ingredients were fresh and full of spicy curry flavor. We were pleased that our dish was not oily or too sweet as many Asian restaurants we have dined in were. The citron ice tea was nice and a perfect match with our meal. We made sure we got a carry out menu and will definitely return soon.

• Visited November 2011