“Nice Hotel, Reasonably Priced, Comfortable Atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Louisville Downtown

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn Louisville Downtown to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Louisville Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 East Jefferson Street, Louisville, KY 40202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Eagleton, Wisconsin, United States
“Nice Hotel, Reasonably Priced, Comfortable Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We had a road trip due to a family emergency and stayed at the Hampton Inn Louisville Downtown. The hotel is very nice, with friendly staff, an inviting entrance, comfortable rooms and nice breakfast buffet. We were very happy to stay here and would return again if in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Bob G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Louisville Downtown, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for writing a review following your stay with us. We appreciate your business and your feedback. I'm glad that you were pleased with our staff and hotel. I hope you will think of staying with us again should your travels take you back to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Shelbyville, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed here for one night on March 28 with two of my daughters. My youngest daughter had a ticket to have her picture taken with Matt Smith and Karen Guillen at Comic Con the next morning. I am torn about how to rate this hotel as there was some unacceptable issues and some very poor customer service, but also some very good customer service. If I could give a score for the staff who came to our aid, it would be a five. First the good:

Check-in was easy. Parking was convenient. Location is great - within walking distance to the convention center and Fourth Street. Coffee and tea available in lobby (hot water for tea was room temp but Zack at the front desk graciously agreed to heat my cup of tea in the staff microwave so that was nice!). Hall carpeting appeared new and doors and frames appeared recently painted and clean (even though the hall walls were stained in places and even had a gouge in the plaster the area looked clean). Plenty of pillows. Zack. Denzel, the security guard. The engineering manager.

Now the bad:

When we arrived, there were post-its on both bead headboards reading, "Duvet covers & sheets are clean for your arrival." Everything was white and looked clean, the floor carpeting looked new and the bathroom looked clean so I did not check the beds. Bad mistake! We had to be up very early to get in line for the convention and went to bed a little before 11 a.m. shortly before midnight, my oldest daughter, who is special needs, woke me saying something was sticking her leg. I turned on the lamp and found a lollipop stick stuck to her leg -- we did not have any lollipops! EEEEWWWW!

But it gets worse, because when I called the front desk and apprised the gentleman there of the situation there was no apology, no anything, so I requested new bedding for the room. Just as I was getting ready to call again, the security guard, Denzell, arrived with one top sheet and one fitted sheet. I told him I needed full bedding for both beds and he left. I stripped my daughter's bed and discovered the mattress pa had something on the top right of the pad - it had not been laundered either. Double EEEEWWWW! I called the front desk and told the gentleman there that this was an issue and that I needed full bedding, including mattress pads for both beds. He told me he had already sent security up with sheets. Long story short, the security guard came back with a duvet but no cover but was very nice and apologized for the bed situation repeatedly.

The front desk gent, on the other hand, told me repeated that there was nothing else he could do. He repeatedly told me, "I'm front desk." He also told me he was not housekeeping. I then told him that I also was not Hampton housekeeping and, in fact, was a paying guest who would like to get some sleep. Needless to say, I ended up having to request the manager. Of course, there was no manager on duty and the front desk clerk very sarcastically offered to give me the manager's phone number. He was not happy when I said, "Yes, please."

After telling me that he had already done all that he could, he told me he had three guests and a phone call waiting that needed attention and that he would have to get back to me and disconnected the call. (There was more said and this is the condensed version - basically it was me trying to get bedding and him telling me he was front desk and that he did not do housekeeping, etc.) And here I thought I too was a guest that needed attention???? This gentleman's words and tone went beyond rude and were, in fact, mean if not even hateful.

So, I had to go downstairs and wait in line. When I got to the front of the line, the security guard was on the phone with a manager and trying to explain the situation. He ended up handing me the phone and I spoke to this man, I believe it was Zack from earlier because Zack ended up coming to hotel and helping with the situation, and, after telling him what had been going on, I asked for another room. He then spoke with the "front desk" and told him to give us another room. After the "front desk" disconnected the call, he leaned across the counter and yelled, "How dare you say that I refused to help you! I sent security to your room!" It deteriorated from there with both of us shouting at each other and him saying he was front desk and me saying that I was a paying guest with dirty beds.

To make thing worse, he gave us a room with one bed, no sofa bed, to replace our two bed room, after I reminded him that we needed two beds. My daughters got dressed and we packed and we went downstairs to a room with one bed. I left my daughters in this room and had to take the stairs down as one of the elevators had quit working and actually gotten stuck with nine people inside for 20 minutes a few hours earlier. By this time Zack was there and I told him we needed two beds and he said there were no other rooms available. Front desk just smirked at me before turning away. So, we trooped back to the first room with the dirty beds. I stripped both beds and Zack and Denzel came with clean bedding a few minutes later. Both were very professional and apologetic. The manager of the engineering department showed up soon after and was also very professional and pleasant. I was told that the general manager would be at the hotel in the morning (but after we left) and wanted to speak with me. It was 1:30 by the time the cleaning bedding was in place. Unfortunately, like many hotels, the room thermostat control is turned off late at night and by now the room was very warm so we had a hard time falling back to sleep.

The next morning, after checking out, we were able to take the hotel shuttle to the convention center and leave our car at the hotel which was nice as it was raining. The shuttle driver was very friendly and pleasant and also picked us up a few hours later. We got my daughter's picture and left soon after as we were all so tired. I was told the general manager was going to phone me and that he really wanted to speak with me but to date have heard nothing and that is okay. Had the front desk addressed the problem quickly and courteously, I would have still said, "EEEEWWWW!" but would have given a higher rating. The hotel did refund my HiltonHonor points, which was appreciated.been I would rather have had clean beds and a nice front desk clerk.

Room Tip: Check the beds before climbing in!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the feedback following your recent stay with us. I have followed up with our housekeeping staff following this incident and taken appropriate action with the staff involved. We pride ourselves on our level of cleanliness and service and this incident was very disappointing to us. I was glad to see that several of our staff members delivered great service to you. I hope that if your travels take you back to the area, you will give another chance to earn your trust.
Southern Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Attended a concert at the KFC Yum Center and needed someplace to spend the night that was within walking distance. The hotel is 2 blocks away and has free parking. The rooms appear to have been recently updated. The breakfast area was very large with plenty of seating. There is even a bar area in the lobby, but I did not use it. There are many places to eat within walking distance of the hotel. When walking back from the concert very late there were police on every corner making it quite safe to walk back alone in the dark. Would definitely stay here again if attending another event at the Yum Center.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I'm glad that everything worked out so well for you. We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to Louisville.
Danbury, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I checked out of the hotel. Four hours later I realized I left my coat in the room. I called to see if it had been turned in. I had to call 3 times before anyone from the hotel called me back. When I finally spoke with the assistant manager, he said he no way of knowing whether I was telling the truth, whether I had I left the door ajar and another guest came in the room and took my coat or whether housekeeping found it. He suggested I keep calling back in case it turned up. This hotel seems to have poor processes for managing house staff, poor processes for reporting and securing objects left behind by guests and no real concern whether the guest is made whole or not. Stay here at your own risk.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Bob G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Louisville Downtown, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for reaching out again regarding this incident. I apologize for the fact that we were unable to locate your missing jacket. I'm sorry that fact tainted your overall experience at our hotel. We handle many, many lost and found items left behind by guests during the course of the year with success. Should this item turn up, we will of course contact you.
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had a very pleasurable stay at this Hampton. Staff is very nice and accommodating, location just off the interstate and walking distance to 4th St happenings and the beautiful riverside. Wish we would have stayed more then one night!

Thank you Hampton for your welcoming staff!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bob G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Louisville Downtown, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Thanks for writing a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the feedback and are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our goal is to make you feel at home and welcomed here and by the feedback you provided, we achieved that goal. We hope you will keep us in mind for any future visits to the area.
Arkdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

this was a very nice hotel and stay. But the next time I would stay two nights need more time to see and discover everything around town. Hampton is by far my first choice when I stay at Higher end hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thanks for writing a review following your recent stay. We are glad everything worked out well for you at our hotel. We will be looking forward to your return in the near future when you can stay a bit longer and enjoy more of the city.
Lenoir city, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The Hotel was within walking distance to the basketball arena. They allowed us to park our car free while we went to the game. The room was excellent. The breakfast was average and the restocking of the food items was a little slow.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thanks for providing feedback following your recent stay with us. I'm glad that our location with easy access to the arena worked out so well. I'm sorry that you were unhappy with our breakfast offerings---that is usually an area where we get a lot of positive feedback. I will share your comments with the breakfast team to encourage improvement in that area. Thanks again.

Been to Hampton Inn Louisville Downtown? Share your experiences!