“Best Bang for the Buck!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #25 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Brevard, North Carolina
“Best Bang for the Buck!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

My wife and I spent last weekend in Louisville and stayed at the Microtel East after staying at another property a couple weeks ago. The room was spotless and odor free. The AARP rate was well below what I expected to pay and certainly made me very happy. The location off the Interstate made travel to the Malls and restaurants very accessable.The young lady at the front desk was very friendly and ready to accommodate any needs. We will definitely stay here the next time in Louisville.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Vani B, General Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Louisville East, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
We thank you for your valued comments and your appreciation helps us to motivate our staff to continue to provide the best services at all times.

Thank you and look forward to welcome you back.

Have happy holidays.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

My husband and I reserved 1 room (queen bed) for late check in Nov. 2, 2011; check out Nov. 6, 2011. We smelled cigarette smoke as soon as we entered the main lobby but we thought that wouldn't be the cast in our room. We are sensitive to cigarette smoke to begin with plus we reside in the DC/Baltimore area where smoking is rare in a place of business, so smelling smoke inside took me by surprise. The gentlemen that checked us in was very professional/nice. We were expecting the room to be "Micro" so that was not a problem. Once in the room we tried to make the best of it since it was so late and all of the other hotels in the area were booked because of the Breeders Cup. I went to take a bath (my normal routine) and the water would not get hot, it was lukewarm at the most. I again, tried to make the most of it and sunk down to soak for a QUICK second and realized that there was a gap between the top and bottom of the bath fitter. The gap was large enough to hold bugs and/or mold but not large enough to let enough light in so that I could distinguish between the two. I quickly got out of the tub. Trying not to cry I checked the mattress for bedbugs and slid in to rest my eyes (fully clothed). As I got closer and closer to the sheets the stronger and strong the cigarette smoke got. I realized very quickly that the smoking and non-smoking rooms linens were laundered together. After choosing the best of the worst pillow I prayed and quickly fell asleep. The next morning we packed ourselves up and went to the elevator to take us to the main lobby to check out early. Much to our dismay the elevator was not working and we had to take our luggage down 2 flights of stairs. When we reached the lobby there was a new shift of employees working and we requested to check out. They realized we were checking out early and asked why. I replied with "Your staff has been pleasant, however I suggest that you consider laundering the linens separably because our non-smoking room had linens that had obvious cigarette smoke on them." At that point she didn't try and fix the problem, she just let us walk out the door. Long story short: the staff was nice however, the environment in which they had 'prepared' for us left much to be desired. We will not stay at at Microtel ever again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Vani B, General Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Louisville East, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
We thank you for taking your precious time to submit the feedback and sincerely appologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We recently added one more commercial water heater to the existing three commercial water heaters and can not increase more than 120 degrees temparature as per the standards and not able to meet your expectations. The gap between the top and bottom of the bath fitter is brushed everday during cleaning process. Regular Pest control treatment is done in all rooms and outside the hotel as well.All mattresses and box springs are covered with covers inorder to avoid stains as well as any bugs getting into it.These covers can be wiped with antibacterial liquid and can be sanitized .Smoking floor is on first floor and 2nd and 3rd floors are exclusive of nonsmoking rooms.Upon your feedback at the time of check out the room linen was inspected and not found smoke odor and appologize that it is not to your satisfaction.Elevator broke down all of a sudden and got it fixed in less than one hour.

We were not able to serve you to your satisfaction and sincerely appologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Staying at this particular location was perhaps one of the best overall national hotel/motel chain experience I’ve ever had, and there’s a very cogent reason why this chain consistently has consistently won JD Power and Associates’ "Highest in Guest Satisfaction among Economy/Budget Hotel Chains, Ten Years in a Row.” It’s actually quite amazing that this location isn’t on their Top 20 list, but hey – it only gives me hope that if this location with its relative anonymity can do so many things so well, the top 20 list must be absolutely phenomenal. Onwards.

Location: 5 out of 5
Convenient to the Louisville area, particularly if you are headed eastbound on I-64. The only thing I would mention is that if you’re not familiar with the construction that’s going on right now, bear in mind that the I-65 bridge between IN and KY is shut down for repairs. So…if you are coming down I-65 S and want to hop on over to I-64 E to the property, it shouldn’t be a problem. Similarly, if you are going from the east and are already on I-64, the only thing you have to keep in mind is that you can’t cross the I-64 bridge, and that if you want to get on I-65 N, you have to take the 264 bypass first. My particular experience was going through Louisville to the east TN area, originating in Chicago. The motel is located in a group of 3 – 4 other properties, and in walking distance to several restaurants.

Cleanliness of Room: 5 out of 5
I’ve traveled enough to know what most motels are capable of on a regular basis, and I know what most motels will tend to overlook if they don’t have a staff that’s absolutely “spotless”, pun intended. I was on the second floor in a queen bed room. My particular room was not only spotless from an aesthetic standpoint, but there were aspects of the amenities I noticed where other properties would just sort of say, “eh….whatever.” Specifically, the liner of the shower didn’t have the mold and mildew marks at the bottom. Yes, I realize that they’ll still be there even if you put them through the wash. However, the liner in the shower didn’t have one spot, ring, or line of mold on it. Furthermore, the drain for the shower flowed absolutely freely without any resistance. At home, I’m fairly meticulous about cleaning the tub drain out with a turbo snake and/or gel/foam cleaner, and I’m telling you – the tub drain in my room was almost as free-flowing as the one I have at home.

Amenities: 3 out of 5
It’s not the 4 seasons, though you can see them from your awesome built in day bed above the heating/AC unit. Yes, this location has built in day beds. They are neat to sit in for about 5 minutes. Then, if you are traveling alone, you say to yourself, “Why am I doing this again?” Toiletries are commensurate with what you’d find at most of the other non-boutique chains (think Super 8, Econo, Quality, Rodeway, etc.) The shampoo and soap do the job, the towels are generously sized (if a bit rough and scratchy…you know the sensation). The TV is above the closet, and if you’re lying in bed, it’s actually in a convenient location. The free breakfast is more than adequate for the average traveler; there are no hot or made-to-order items, but the individually wrapped muffins, fruit, cereal, and bakery items are fine. Remember that the rooms are “micro” – so you may not have as much space to store your items if you are traveling with a family of 4. For a single traveler on a motorcycle, I had plenty of space for my stuff. The WiFi isn’t blazingly fast, but is probably a little faster than 3G. It was fine for just casual surfing on my phone’s browser, and it was able to support Adobe Connect Pro without glitching out. Décor is pastel’ish, and they have mirrors in the room to make it look bigger.

Cleanliness of Public Areas: 4 out of 5
The lobby was very well-maintained, and the corridors and dining areas were kept clean as well. The only minor complaint I would have is that because there are smoking guests who occupy the property, some of the odors associated with tobacco use could permeate through the main corridors. Be mindful if you have sensitive parties you are traveling with.

Customer Service: 5 out of 5
Very nice staff that works at the front desk. Everyone I met was the right mix of friendly and efficient. They were also knowledgeable the general area, and provided good advice on different tiers of local restaurants. I don’t have one negative thing to say about the staff I encountered.

Price: 5 out of 5
I think I paid 57 including all taxes and fees. Like I said in the preface, this was perhaps one of the best bangs for the buck I’ve encountered in terms of lodging.

Overall: 4 out of 5
Highly recommended. I would definitely stay again if I were passing through Louisville.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Randleman, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We arrived late on a Thursday evening. As soon as we entered the lobby to check in the smell of smoke nearly overwhelmed us. I thought maybe the smoking area was nearby and the smell had blown in when someone had the door open since they had been holding the door open and talking. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

The lady at the desk was friendly and offered us the choice of two rooms. One was on the first floor and one was third floor. She explained the third floor room was near the highway and recommended the first floor. Mistake!

We got back into our vehicle, drove to the end of the building, and entered a different way. A slight smell of smoke was there but I didn't know if it was because I had almost drowned in it while checking in.

During the next three days we weren't in our room very much but we continued to smell smoke while we were there. Going to the breakfast area was suffocating. Finally, when we checked out I said something to the desk clerk about it. Apparently one side of our hall was smoking and the other side wasn't. I explained that I had booked a NON-smoking room and it had been causing sneezing and congestion for my husband and I. She said she was sorry but SHE normally tells people about that when they check in. Guess what! Nobody told me! Her careless attitude was off-putting.

Moral of the story: If you want a non-smoking room at this hotel DON'T stay on the first floor.

Holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

As always with this chain, our room was very clean and comfortable. The rooms are small, but you have everything you need. The staff was pleasant and helpful, and the breakfast was sufficient. It was also very nice to have free wi-fi. We would definitely stay here again if we are in the area. The only problem we had had nothing to do with the hotel. Our GPS could not direct us to a pharmacy or a restaurant in the area. It kept taking us in circles. We did finally find a good mexican restaurant not far away. I guess we should have asked at the desk before we started out!

Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Rooms are very small, which is ok, but they serve the breakfast, on the first floor,which is the smokers floor, the smell is overwhelming, for me I can barely make it thru the lobby, would never stay there again...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Belleville, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

3rd time is charmed, I guess. We recently stayed at a Microtel in PA . . didn't like it. Stayed in another in WV . . smoky. This stay east of Louisville was very good. Quiet, no cigarette smell, comfortable bed, very clean, affordable price. And I loved the delightful desk clerk who repeatedly called us "honey". Breakfast options were more limited than the other 2 Microtels that we visited in the last month, and there was no workout room that we found . . but, we were only staying overnight . . no problem. We usually stay at Marriott properties since husband is platinum member. However, money is money, and this hotel was $30 per night less expensive than the lowest price nearby Marriott branded property (Fairfield Inn, for example). We're looking for value as we make our long-distance road trips, and Microtel Inns are generally the best value overall.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Microtel Inn by Wyndham Louisville East? Share your experiences!