“Good but not great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coal's Artisan Pizza

Coal's Artisan Pizza
3730 Frankfort Avenue, Louisville, KY 40207 (East Louisville)
502.742.8200
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #101 of 1,560 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East Louisville
Description: Established in April 2011Coals Artisan Pizza is located in the promenade of the historic Vogue Theater in Louisville, Kentucky. This is the first coal-fire pizza in the state of Kentucky. Special attention is paid to the dough which is hand kneaded and refrigerated for 3 days allowing for maximum flavor development in the crust. Whenever possible Ingredients are sourced locally. The pizzas can be described as American Neapolitan. Thin crust with a puffy cornicione using American ingredients.
“Good but not great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was torn between putting a 3 or 4 on the pizza. I might have got them on an off night. I had a hard time deciding on which pizza to get, so I got half and half (cresent hill and brownsboro). Maybe it was the kind if pizza I got but the whole middle of the pizza had a soggy crust. My friend also got half and half (waverly and st matthews) and theirs was good. After we were done I mentioned the soggy crust to my waiter and he apologized and when he came back with the check, he gave me a gift card for a free pizza for the next visit. I wasn't expecting that and it was VERY nice.

We were seated right away at 7pm on a Thur, it's a very nice place, our server was awesome, the pizza was good not great, and I will be giving them another try.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Louisville, Kentucky
“Very good pizza”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We enjoy this place for the pizza primarily because the wood burned crust is usually perfect - crisp with just a hint of sweetness. The beer list features Southern Tier and some other tasty brands. Outdoor seating on the patio is a treat.
Cons- the price is high for what you get. Figure almost a pizza per person if you are hungry.

Visited May 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
“terrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Unfortunately, my friends and I had an unpleasant experience duing our dinner on May 22, 2013. The waiter overcharged us for our drinks and instead of correcting the mistake, the manager blamed us for the miscommunication. He was extremely rude and never once tried to remedy the situation.It was not until we presented the ultimatum: either fix our bill or we will not pay for anything, that he finally discounted our drinks. He created an unfortunate experience over something easily fixable. I have never been treated this way as a customer. My friends and I were so stunned by such poor treatment. We will NEVER return and are telling everyone (families, friends, and employers) of our terrible experience and to not patronize Coals Artisan Pizza. We have always been supporters of local businesses and restaurants and it saddens us to not eat at this restaurant ever again.

• Visited May 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Clearly overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We went to Koal's because of the excellent reviews on this site. To make it brief: don't believe the hype. The pizza was good, but there are many other places that serve pizza of this quality. The service, however, was really lousy. Arrogant waiter, we waited 1 hour for a pizza that should take 10 min to cook.

• Visited May 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Delicious pizza, cozy atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The pizza at Coal's was very fresh, flavorful, and rich. You can tell it was prepared well and made with fresh ingredients. We also had the tiramisu for dessert and it was pretty good. The service was good and the atmosphere was comfortable. Definitely worth checking out!

• Visited March 2013