The building itself appears very new. Which would normally lead to a good stay, as at least in my opinion, the condition of the facility and guest rooms is a large portion of the experience. The exterior of the building was very good. The lobby, while a bit barren, was decent. The rooms were pretty nice as well, including a good sized flat screen TV, and good quality bed and bedding. From there it went a bit downhill.
The room had a faint cigarette smell, and I realized there were ashtrays and that they had given me a smoking room (despite having specifically booked non-smoking). Given, it seemed like a very busy period in the area, with most other hotels booked full (probably lucky to get a room at all). And I assume that smoking rooms are more common in this part of the country than I'm used to. But they at least could have informed me of what I was getting. Overall, front desk service was sufficient, although not particularly friendly.
The shower was only luke warm (too cold really) with the knob turned all the way to "hot". It seemed normal (sufficiently hot) the other 2 mornings I stayed at this hotel. But I would not expect a new facility to have hot water problems.
There was no remote control for the TV. I informed the front desk in the morning, and there was a remote when I got back to the room later in the day. But this one didn't work. The LED on the remote did not light at all when the buttons were pushed. So I suspect they gave me one with dead batteries. I was pretty busy with work most of my stay, so I basically gave up on getting a working remote. Not a huge deal really, but you would think the person would check that the device worked before leaving it.
You can have breakfast included with some packages. But I didn't get it for my government per diem rate. Breakfast is served in the attached restaurant. Its pricey if you don't have it included with your stay ($12). But being a buffet, I at least figured it would be a convenient, quick choice before having to run off to my work day. I was wrong, as I was left waiting to be seated for over 10 minutes (a manager-looking employee told me that someone would be there to help my "right away"). I decided to seat myself, and helped myself to the buffet. I asked the only server there for coffee (once she finally showed up), which did not arrive for over 20 minutes. When it arrived, it was much too hot to drink, and I really had to go to work. The server did not pay any more attention to me, so I had to hunt her down to pay for the meal. The whole experience was agonizingly slow, and pretty terrible really. The same restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, and looks like a modern, decent looking bar/grill type place. But if the dinner service is anything like the breakfast, I'd stay far away.
The hotel has a good location at least, very close to the airport and very close to the highway, and a decent number of restaurants. There is some air traffic during the night, due to around-the-clock operations by UPS (which as a huge presence here). But I actually didn't find the aircraft noise obtrusive, and it didn't wake me up at all. A short drive from here, you will see homes with bars over the windows and doors, which would lead me to believe that the area is not the safest place to be. Just something to keep in mind, as personal safety should always be a consideration.
To sum it up, overall the condition of the facility was good, and location is convenient. But the overall service and other quirks made from a pretty average, or even below-average stay. I'll likely try a different hotel the next time I have to be in the area.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Airport South Hotel
- Holiday Inn Airport South Hotel Louisville
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Warm Welcome A new signature arrival will welcome you to the property including new lighting, to guide your way, landscaping & design features that create an energized & branded sense of welcome that is universally recognizable. Customized music & scent selections engage guests in a full sensory experience. New Service Promise: A Best-in-Class service culture Stay Real to further ensure the team develops the behaviors & skills to serve guests so they feel like individuals & not numbers; genuine people delivering real service. We are Louisville s Newest Holiday Inn located at the airport (SDF). Located off of I-65 at Fern Valley Rd., exit 128. Stay with us; park & fly with us to Louisville International Airport in our 24-hour complimentary shuttle service. Our full-service facility will take care of all your needs & exceed your expectations! See a different game in the Sporting News Grill, a sports themed restaurant to provide the perfect place to connect, dine & catch your favorite team in action during a stay at the Holiday Inn Louisville Airport. Close to where you need to be Minutes away from; Louisville International Airport (SDF), UPS World Hub, FedEx, Ford, GE & the other many companies in the area. Also, enjoy the many attractions in Louisville; Fair & Expo Center, Six Flags, University of Louisville, & of course, home of the fastest two-minutes in sports; Churchill Downs Kentucky Derby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, Expedia, Otel, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Airport South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.