“New facility, but too many quirks to make it a pleasurable stay” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #56 of 96 hotels in Louisville
Boston, MA
“New facility, but too many quirks to make it a pleasurable stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The building itself appears very new. Which would normally lead to a good stay, as at least in my opinion, the condition of the facility and guest rooms is a large portion of the experience. The exterior of the building was very good. The lobby, while a bit barren, was decent. The rooms were pretty nice as well, including a good sized flat screen TV, and good quality bed and bedding. From there it went a bit downhill.

The room had a faint cigarette smell, and I realized there were ashtrays and that they had given me a smoking room (despite having specifically booked non-smoking). Given, it seemed like a very busy period in the area, with most other hotels booked full (probably lucky to get a room at all). And I assume that smoking rooms are more common in this part of the country than I'm used to. But they at least could have informed me of what I was getting. Overall, front desk service was sufficient, although not particularly friendly.

The shower was only luke warm (too cold really) with the knob turned all the way to "hot". It seemed normal (sufficiently hot) the other 2 mornings I stayed at this hotel. But I would not expect a new facility to have hot water problems.

There was no remote control for the TV. I informed the front desk in the morning, and there was a remote when I got back to the room later in the day. But this one didn't work. The LED on the remote did not light at all when the buttons were pushed. So I suspect they gave me one with dead batteries. I was pretty busy with work most of my stay, so I basically gave up on getting a working remote. Not a huge deal really, but you would think the person would check that the device worked before leaving it.

You can have breakfast included with some packages. But I didn't get it for my government per diem rate. Breakfast is served in the attached restaurant. Its pricey if you don't have it included with your stay ($12). But being a buffet, I at least figured it would be a convenient, quick choice before having to run off to my work day. I was wrong, as I was left waiting to be seated for over 10 minutes (a manager-looking employee told me that someone would be there to help my "right away"). I decided to seat myself, and helped myself to the buffet. I asked the only server there for coffee (once she finally showed up), which did not arrive for over 20 minutes. When it arrived, it was much too hot to drink, and I really had to go to work. The server did not pay any more attention to me, so I had to hunt her down to pay for the meal. The whole experience was agonizingly slow, and pretty terrible really. The same restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, and looks like a modern, decent looking bar/grill type place. But if the dinner service is anything like the breakfast, I'd stay far away.

The hotel has a good location at least, very close to the airport and very close to the highway, and a decent number of restaurants. There is some air traffic during the night, due to around-the-clock operations by UPS (which as a huge presence here). But I actually didn't find the aircraft noise obtrusive, and it didn't wake me up at all. A short drive from here, you will see homes with bars over the windows and doors, which would lead me to believe that the area is not the safest place to be. Just something to keep in mind, as personal safety should always be a consideration.

To sum it up, overall the condition of the facility was good, and location is convenient. But the overall service and other quirks made from a pretty average, or even below-average stay. I'll likely try a different hotel the next time I have to be in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear dcmark73,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am glad that the you found the room to be nice. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects during your stay. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was perfect for our New Year's Eve plans. The front desk staff was very nice and the rooms were clean. I was very disappointed in the way the clean staff behave. Check out is not till noon. Before 8:30 am housekeeping lightly knocked on our door and proceeded to walk in. Thankfully my husband had the bathroom door open. The house keeper apologized but still woke me up. An hour and a half later he almost entered our room again and told my husband the room needed cleaning. Finally at approximately 10:30 we loaded out belonging on a cart and house keeping entered the room while we were waiting in the elevator. I probably will not stay that this particular hotel again for that reason. There is a very nice Comfort Suites next door that doesn't have harassing housekeeping.

• Stayed December 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Countrygirl1995,

Many thanks for your feedback of our property. I am happy that you found our reception staff amiable and location convenient. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced brought by the housekeeping staff. I understand the discomfort that this caused you and I appreciate you letting us know about this issue as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Despite your disappointment, I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Evansville, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Very affordable and for a 3 star hotel, it certainly exceeded my expectations. My only complaint is that the bed was noisy, and if you are a light sleeper, you will probably wake up each time you roll over. It is also within walking distance of several nearby restaurants, which was a plus.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Blmule6523,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. Thanks you for telling us your concerns about the bed in your room. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We appreciate all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you for staying with us. We hope you will consider us again in the future.

Newburgh, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I needed a hotel to just stay overnight and then catch an early flight the next morning. I was hoping to leave my car here to avoid airport fees. Upon entering my room for the evening, I had a difficult time regulating the room temp. The other problem was a smell that I could not figure out what it was. It was the smell of something new, like new carpeting but the carpet was not new. The window did not open for fresh air. I ended up not sleeping well and waking with a horrible headache the next morning. In addition, I was not comfortable in leaving my car on property as the area was a bit sketchy. So I ended up with a restless night and paid for my car at the airport afterall. Next time I will pay a bit more and stay at the Marriott.

Room Tip: This hotel allows smoking on the upper floors
Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was at Holiday Inn Airport South for couple of days last week. Ideal for short stay business trips. Very close to the Louisville Airport. Their breakfast spread was good. I was amazed by the waitress at the cafe. We were four of us on business travel. She remembered during the next day buffet what exactly each of us had asked for the previous day for breakfast. A fairly clean and well maintained hotel. The downside is that there are no water bottles in rooms. However, we can request for the same at the reception. Few good Mexican restaurants around this hotel. Worth a try.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear ARKMR,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all your feedback. We are so glad that we could accommodate your business needs. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We will pass your great comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you for your time. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I really liked this spot. We arrived at the airport late at night and quickly found this place one exit down on 65. The staff was very nice. The room was large, comfortable and clean. It was a good night's sleep. If you're in this area, look no further! I stayed at another nearby hotel and it was horrible! This place is nice and safe.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Skye21,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments about the hotel. We strive as hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We are so glad that we could accommodate you. Thank you so much for this review. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Cypress, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Fairly clean property. Upon checking in I was not greated as a Priority Club member or offered an upgrade despite having suites available. There was artwork missing from the walls in the room that I checked into. It seems as though they are getting comfortable with the business they automaticly get from Ford or GE that they don't really care about the guest who stays less frequently. The room was fairly clean, but the housekeepers need help. The wall need some paint touch up and the entire 4th floor has a smokey smell. Probably will not stay here again. For a $145 per night I am really let down!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Airport South? Share your experiences!