“A value proposition” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Haverhill
“A value proposition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for". For my needs, this hotel worked well, as I was happy to spend one-half the cost of the fancier hotels just a block or so away. For others who are more sensitive to cleanliness and extra services, there are perhaps better choices.

On the plus side, this hotel's location is excellent, and really the only budget option in downtown Louisville. While it's unusual to find a downtown hotel with exterior corridors, I did not feel unsafe here, nor was it loud as you may expect. The bed and bathroom seemed clean.

On the down side, the carpet was absolutely disgustingly filthy. Even worse was the stained chair, which in addition to looking gross was actually broken, could not sit in it and the arm was falling off.

Interestingly as I was leaving, I noticed some employees moving pallets of what looked like new chairs across the parking lot, so perhaps that issue will be taken care of shortly. If they also deep clean or replace the carpets I would give this hotel a thumbs up to anyone.

So, would I stay here again? Yes, because of the excellent overall value for the location I would, but until a couple of improvements are made I'd only recommend to more adventuresome and budget conscious travelers...bring your slippers and enjoy downtown Louisville for half the price!

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Pete P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
We appreciate hearing from our guests. The feedback you provide helps us continually adapt and improve our services. For your concerns of carpet, you will be happy to know that all rooms carpet has been washed in the week of August 4th, 2014. Also, you did guess right about replacing chair. We are changing our chair in all rooms right now. Thank you for your review and your stay at the Econo Lodge Downtown, hope we will have the opportunity to see you again in the future!

Pete Patel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed at the Econo Lodge in downtown Louisville for 2 nights and found it to be the best value around. My room was clean and quiet, the bed was comfortable, and the towels were excellent. The light breakfast was good too. Staff members were exceptionally helpful and the hotel was very conveniently located near the convention center. I'd definitely stay here again next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: My 3rd floor room was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Pete P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Mr. Jeff,

What a kind review of our hotel! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and we would love to have you stay with us again!

Once again thanks a lot for staying with us.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Nice room. Parking is five dollars a day. Room was clean. A little small but not crazy tiny. Nice view of the city. We heard no traffic noise on the Monday night we were there. Breakfast was blah but it's included and you can find
something. Service was a bit slow but it was fine. I would stay again and recommend it since it was so affordable and in a great location.

• Stayed July 2014
Pete P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We truly appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and are happy to hear that you enjoy staying with us. It's guest like you that make our jobs so fun! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I do not travel a lot, but my stay at Econolodge in Louisville made me write review about my stay. Wonderful staff, great location and clean rooms. Rooms are small but clean and not fancy but have everything what you need for your stay. Also the rates are best in downtown compering other hotels in downtown. Since I don't travel a lot, all I look for clean and comfortable rooms and this Econolodge has everything you need! Micro and fridge in rooms are bonus. Free Wi-fi worked great. They charge $5 for parking, but when I was searching around, I show that other hotels in the are charge from $9 to $22 per day. So, very comparative for parking as well. fourth street live is only two blocks away which is a main entertainment street. Staff answered all my questions and gave me good recommendation for restaurant. The water front park is few blocks away which is a great area for morning walk. I can go on and on, but if you are looking for clean and comfortable rooms with very reasonable price, this is the hotel!!! Great Job staff!!!

Room Tip: try to get rooms facing liberty street but not above the lobby
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Pete P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
We were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We strive to provide each guest with a great experience and thank you for letting us know you had one. We look forward to earning your business again in the future!
Overland Park, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Arrived on Thursay, June 19, 2014, without a reservation. Asked for two nights and was told that since there was no discount for two nights, we should pay for one and if we decided to stay a second night, we could come down to the front desk and pay for it the next morning. At 7:30 the next morning when I tried to pay for a second night, I was told the hotel was sold out and to check out by 11:00am. The manager spoke to me like I was an idiot when I explained what I was told, pretty much saying "too bad!". Another customer behind me experienced the same thing and he, too, was told the same thing by the manager. I called a reputable, "much more expensive" hotel in the area, and explained the situation and we were given a king suite for Friday AND Saturday night at such an unbelievable rate! I turned my key in to the Econo Lodge manager and told him that this must have been a blessing in disguise. At the better hotel, we didn't have to walk passed what I swear was a hooker and her john. Nor, did we have to hear the pizza shop employees partying in the hotel lot all night. At the better hotel, we had an ice machine on our floor that worked and our suite was not hot and stuffy, like at the Econo Lodge. I won't make the mistake of choosing this hotel again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time out to share your observations regarding your stay, I deeply apologize for the problems you encountered at our hotel, We take pride on having very high guest satisfaction scores, I am disappointed you did not receive this level of service. In our general practice, we do make sure to provide information for 2nd day availability when guests ask for possibly extending stay for 2nd night. We will take your experience for training purpose and will make sure that won't happen to any other guest in the future. Please give us another chance to remedy your stay with us!
Marietta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We picked here because it was downtown, and in walking distance of most of the night life. Thankfully only stayed one night.
The guy at check in was rude, and unhelpful. Told us our room was "over there" and just pointed at a general direction that was actually the wrong side of the building.
The room was pretty small. It was clean, but had a really musty smell lingering. Almost like mold or something. Also, our room was facing the road, and we could hear every car that went by. Luckily I'm a heavy sleeper, so it wasn't too bad once I got top sleep, but it did take me a lot longer than normal.
The breakfast was terrible. The bagels and muffins were stale...

I know it's the econo lodge and I didn't have too high of expectations for it, but this was ridiculous. I would suggest paying a little more money and staying somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Pete P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property. Our goal here at Econo Lodge downtown is to always serve our guests. I would like to personally apologize to you for the issues you encountered during your stay with us. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to exceed your expectations in that area. We have taken your feedback to heart and I have reviewed your comments with each of my staff members to ensure this does not happen again in the future. It is our hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Thank you again for your time.

Best Regards,

Pete Patel
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Spent 2 nights here on business: convenient to work at medical center. Room was clean, the rate was good and the staff welcoming. Breakfast included that was adequate; I was taken back a little that they charge for parking, however.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Pete P, General Manager at Econo Lodge Downtown, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your stay. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope you will come back soon.

Been to Econo Lodge Downtown? Share your experiences!