“Beautiful hotel for a spring break getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Galt House Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   140 North Fourth Street, Louisville, KY 40202   |
Ranked #30 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
ohio
“Beautiful hotel for a spring break getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

My 21 yr old daughter & I came to Louisville for a few days during her spring break just to get away. Had never been here before. I did a lot of searching before deciding on the Galt hotel. Most of the reviews seemed good, a couple negative. But we had a magnificant time. The hotel is chic and modern, yet still has historical aspects. It is one of the oldest hotels in the city and is right on the river. I booked through expedia and got a good price compared to the hotels website....$133.00 compared to $185.00.(taxes included) We had two double beds and I asked to be water view and upper floor. We had a perfect view of the river and the city and we were on the 23rd floor! The room had two double beds and was very roomy and nicely furnished. Very clean and super comfortable beds. The bathroom was small but there was two separate sink areas, which was nice for two women!! No complaints at all.
There are a lot of lovely sitting areas and restaurants in the hotel. One of our favorite times was sitting in the conservatory bar, which is all glass with great views of the river and the city. We wanted to have a bourbon since that is one of the things Kentucky is known for. We are not real heavy drinkers so we weren't sure what to order, but the young lady bartender was so helpful. She suggested a Four Roses bourbon since Ky. and NY are the only places you can get it. She gave it to us with a little ice and our pepsi on the side, indicating that this is how Kentuckians drink this particular brand because it is supposed to be smooth, so you sip the bourbon followed with a sip of pepsi. It was very smooth and was a fun thing to do.(we only had one)The drink and pepsi were about $8.00 a piece. The bar is a fish tank so your drinks set on top of the glass with the fish swimming underneath! Really cool! Never seen anything like it . Really pretty at night.
We will definitely stay here again the next time we come to Louisville.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I was here for a conference, and I must say, this hotel is amazing. First of all, it's HUGE and perfect for the kind of conference I was attending. Also, the rooms were very nice and clean. We had a lot of down time during the conference and were happy to find that you could really just walk to all the night life!

It was fun, safe, secure, and clean! 5 stars!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

You can expect a nice room, very spacious, clean, quiet, and the staff was excellent. I'm a people person, so I really enjoy being greeted by friendly staff. The room had excellent amenities. Very clean. An excellent location in a very safe part of town. I would reccomend others to stay here. The price and quality were both excellent.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I got a lot of advice from co-workers before staying here and assumed that the hotel wasn't appreciated for being unique. Maybe if the rooms were cordoned off and put into a museum, I would like it more than having to actually sleep in them. Dingy, dark, and strange. Like something out of a low-budget movie.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

Fairly large room, right in the heart of downtown. Nice facilities. Attentive staff.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
cincinnati, ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

I stayed here several times as a kid and thought it was great so I was very excited to stay here with my fiance for a Valentines weekend, what a wreck!
At check in I was greeted by a straight faced man who would be better suited working in a morgue. I asked him about the shuttle service to the casino and he instructed me to look at the poster in the lobby instead of answering me , I guess he was to busy with planning a funeral.
The Cafe Mahgnoliea or whatever it's called was laughable. Our server greeted us, after several minutes of waiting , with a story of how she had just got there and we were her first table and she wasn't ready. As the meal progressed I came to think we were her first table ever. No knowledge of the menu or specials. I ordered the Porterhouse that I had to ask her about, when it came out I saw that maybe there was a reason she hadn't told me about it. This "Porterhouse" looked similar to the steak I had had years ago at a Waffle House but the quality wasn't near as good and my baked potato was nice and cool. Are conversation during dinner was interrupted by another server changing out our table condiments while explaining he has to do it once a week. A manager came by to see how things were but I realized she didn't really care as she was walking away as she said it. What a horrible dining experience.
Our room was as noisy as could be. Every time anyone in our vicinity flushed we heard it. The noises from the outside street were as if the window was open.
The cherry on top was at check out when we were greeted by another morgue worker told us our total with a straight face and held out her hand for payment. No thank you's or how was your stay. Oh and not to mention I was charged .75 for a phone call made to an in house restaurant.
I went to there web site to write them a complaint but there was no place to do it.
A couple of weeks ago I stayed at the La Quinta in Cleveland and had a quieter room, friendlier staff and a free continental breakfast that shamed the poor excuse of dining at Cafe Mangie at half the price of the Galt House.
What a let down!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

Beautiful river view. Lovely. Nice location, access to ped way. Good restaurants, several museums within walking distance.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Galt House Hotel? Share your experiences!