“Over-rated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Ray822
“Over-rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

The rooms are noise machines; the walls are thin and you can hear most conversations in adjoining suites. You can hear people flushing their toilets all night. The Internet was down for almost an entire afternoon my first day. Housekeeping sometimes doesn't show up until 6 pm. They charge you about $5 a day to use their gym. AND they charge you $12 extra to park your car!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
Temple Terrace, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

We stayed at the Galt House (along with our thirty dearest friends) during the weekend of our son's wedding. The rooms were excellent and the suites were a great value for the difference in cost. The staff of the hotel were friendly and helpful; planning a rehearsal dinner and brunch at the hotel were easily done. The brunch at Rivue was amazing; our guests are still talking about it. The amenities were first-rate; our guests enjoyed the views and equipment at the health club and the third floor Conservatory was a natural gathering spot. We could walk to all the downtown tourist spots with ease. Even the valet parking was quick and efficient. The only negative was the slowness of the elevators in the Rivue Tower (those in the Suite Tower were fine).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

This isdefinately the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. The room was small and cold. It smelled of smoke even though it was a no smoking room (sign on the inside of the door). It looked as if the room had not been cleaned in several years! The staff were rude and unhelpfu and just didn't care.I stayed one night and then moved to a better hotel. Whatever you do, don't stay in this hotel. it is a shocking waste of space. i guess, sometimes you get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Cocolicious32
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

When I reserved the room , I was told that I would have a roll out bed, late check out for both days, I could take some of my wedding pictures at the Rivue Restaurant, my room for Sunday night would be the romance on the river package (The Honeymoon Suite). These are the things that sold me on The Galt House. And none of the above happened not to mention before I checked in no one told me that there would be a Beatles Festival going on and there would be music all hours of the night. I think I talked to guest services longer that I slept in those two days. On Sunday, myself and my bridesmaid where supposed to be able to take our pictures in the restaurant. We ended up having to talk to the manager Thad (I believe that's his name) because he had no idea we were told we could do so. We ended up having to rush through the pictures because we were on limited time and it took some time for Thad to be able to ok it situation. After my wedding I wanted to surprise my husband with a very nice room, like the website shows, and we just got a regular old room. No champagne, no roses, no breakfast, no free parking...nothing. I was sooooooo upset, the day before my biggest day of my life I am supposed to be relaxed and stress free. But The Galt House pretty much made my honeymoon night and the night before my wedding a stressful disaster.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

OK, so the construction is not their fault. However, they could have advised me that my window would be facing a huge project underway next door. Cranes and bulldozers started at 6:00AM.

As for the hotel, my room was supposedly nonsmoking but there was a very stale, damp odor to it the whole time. I was in the suite tower and my room was huge, but it also made me wonder how a housekeeper could possibly do a thorough job of cleaning it, especially the shower, which was gigantic. I swear it was the biggest one I've ever seen in my life. Would have been great except that the water didn't drain well and there was very little shower pressure. I also kept wondering how clean the whole thing was.

Other than that, the bar is really cool overlooking the river, but THE SERVICE STUNK! One evening we sat down at a table and were acknowledged with a "head bob" from the waiter, but then he proceeding to organize all of his days receipts and never came to take our order. We got drinks from the bar and consumed them and he still never came to our table.

All in all, this was a very mediocre hotel but it is huge. I'm sure many people stay there because of a convention (hotel has tons of meeting space!), but I would find somewhere newer to stay next time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Some updates have been made recently but only about another $100 million can make a big enough difference. Definately not a hotel for business travel by anyone who regularly travels other major cities on business. Leisure travelers may find it passable, even O.K. You can see the signs of lots of hard partying. Wear and tear everywhere. The entire place smells of mold covered up with tons of air fresheners. My suite was large but very odd, much like the hotel in general. It's locally owned so the staff haven't received the standard corporate hospitality training.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

This has been home base for myself and others during the Derby Half Marathon/Marathon weekend for the past couple of years. The rooms are average and clean, customer service is great (they moved us the night before a race after we realized our room was next to a prom party with DJ) and the size of the hotel handles large crowds well. One year they even had water bottles out for runners checking in. Perfect location as the race's host hotel, as it's walking distance to the expo and packet pickup as well as the starting line shuttle stops. A plus when it's early race day. A short drive from restaurants on Bardstown Road, but close to some downtown eateries and the riverfront.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends

Been to Galt House Hotel? Share your experiences!