“Enjoyed my stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 95 hotels in Louisville
Wardensville, WV
“Enjoyed my stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed during the AP grading conference on the 4th floor. Very nice, comfortable room. The view outside of my window was of the parking garage. I enjoyed the two aviaries on site and the birds to observe. The swimming pool is outside and small. The sundries in the room were imported from China, and the towels were imported from Pakistan, a little bit of a bummer for me, as I prefer American-made products. The TV stations selection was outstanding. There is a large charge to use the internet in the business office. Really appreciate the above ground indoor sidewalk connecting me to other places. Would suggest the hotel stocking box fans to assist with guests who need "white noise" to sleep and also securing front desk additional help to check guests in and out when a large conference is coming in. The small restaurant in the connecting section had a "C" sanitary rating, but when I ate there the food was good.

1,565 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Dupo, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The Galt House is a great hotel. I have stayed in this hotel for eight days each of the past five years and continue to be impressed. The hotel is clean, the staff is friendly, and the view of the riverfront is amazing. The location to downtown Louisville is very convenient. I had room service one night and the meal was fast and the food was much better quality than I suspected. The elevators did take a while but that can be expected trying to cover 25 floors. Overall, I had a great experience and will be back next year!

Hazard, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I cannot say enough good things about my 06/2014 stay at the Galt House. I arrived late at 9pm. I had specifically requested a room away from the highway due to noise. Because of my late arrival, the only rooms left were by the highway. The front desk staff apologized for having no rooms left on the other end but more than made up for it by giving me a free upgrade to a double suite on the 14th floor. The room was massive with separate bedrooms on opposite ends of a 50x50 living room and dining room. I had my choice of bedrooms with 2 queens or one king and private baths with each. I had a private balcony to enjoy.
When I realized I had forgotten some items I asked the front desk to direct me to the closest store. Instead, they immediately obtained the items I needed and got them to me at no expense. The doormen were just as helpful as the front desk with directions and service.
The highway noise isn't bad at all on the 14th floor. I suppose you just have to be up and away from it.
I have nothing bad to say at all. If I were trying to be picky, I suppose I would say the biggest concern of my stay was the parking garage which is listed for 6'7" as you enter but I think only 6'4" as you exit. It felt like my Rubicon was clearing the concrete beams and lamps which stuck down from the ceiling by millimeters. It really felt tight in a Jeep. A bigger SUV like a Yukon, Suburban or even a few of the smaller but taller ones wouldn't be able to fit.

Room Tip: Highway noise is terrible at lower floors on that end of the hotel but up over the highway level was...
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I spent eight days here while at a conference
The plusses...
great location, staff, comfortable beds, amenities, plenty of room in suites, bathrooms are large and accommodating, in room frig and sink are a huge plus
The downside...
furniture is dated and looks dirty even though it is clean, elevators can take a long time to come, no free transportation to airport or surrounding sites, wifi moves at a snail pace, noisy - you can hear other rooms and toilets flushing - had a lot of trouble sleeping
I haven't been to the spa but the prices put me into shock
I would recommend it at the right price

Room Tip: I have heard that rooms on the second floor are preferable - you don't need to use the elevator...
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This was the second time I stayed at the Galt House for a conference I attend each year. Always like staying there. Clean rooms, friendly staff, exercise room has one of the best views in Louisville and I had no problems during the duration of my stay. Hope I get to stay there next year.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The Galt House has a prime location on the Ohio River, and I'm sure at one time it was a real jewel. However, she's looking haggard, and needs a facelift. The rooms are comfortable, but the amenities could use a little sprucing up.

Also, it's tacky for a luxury hotel, to charge for a cup of coffee in the lobby.

Room Tip: Tell them you absolutely do not want a view of the Yum Center parking garage. Besides the obvious, t...
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We were in town for a conference with several thousand people, so I thought they would ready for us. It took forever to checkin and check out. They seemed frazzled. Unlike at the Hyatt, where several colleagues were staying the Galt doesn't have a chef downstairs who cooks up little bites and drinks before dinner nor do they have staff outside in the lobby positioned to answer questions or direct you/ help with the elevators, which are slow and full. Our room was nice, however it faced a parking garage, as in I could see people and make direct eye contact while getting dressed while they got in their cars. Parking is pretty cheap but the parking attendant was pretty rude. The beds are excellent. The housekeeper wanted a tip on the third day of our stay, as she as making swans out of our towels. There was a broken dresser drawer handle and there was only one trash can with no liner, that situated in the bathroom. Nth best thing about Galt house was the little convenience snack shop where they sell Graeter's ice cream. The cashier was really nice. The other stores that had tourist items were rarely open. The pool is outside and has a view of the river and highway.

Room Tip: Ask to not face the parking garage
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Galt House Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!