“Older Massive Hotel That's Well Maintained” 4 of 5 stars

Galt House Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   140 North Fourth Street, Louisville, KY 40202   |
Ranked #30 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Warren, MI
“Older Massive Hotel That's Well Maintained”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have a soft spot for grand old hotels such as the Galt House. Although older and slightly dated I did enjoy my stay.

Check-in was friendly and I was placed in my room on the 12th floor. The public areas are a bit dated but very clean.

The room was also very clean but certain areas really did show the age of the hotel. The carpet was older but clean, the HVAC area of the room was very 1970'ish but did work satisfactorily. The flat screen tv was nice, the beds comfortable, and the bathroom clean.

The high speed internet wasn't very fast but was reliable albeit slow during my two days there.

I did order room service one night. My opinion of the food was that it was average but like most room service orders, overpriced.

Overall I was quite satisfied with my stay at the Galt House and look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your candid feedback about the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
Whitesburg, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Galt House for an awards ceremony. The check-in process was easy and a very friendly bell hop promptly helped with out bags and escorted us to our room in the Rivue tower. I booked the room thought a discount website so we ended up with double beds which was fine. The room was spacious and very clean.

Following the awards ceremony we stopped by the deli which is open 24/7 for a Coke. For me this was huge because there have been so many times I've been hungry in a strange city with no where to go, very nice amenity. Check-out process was easy. The only drawback of this hotel in my opinion are the elevator waits (which I understand) is due to its size and average number of guests.

Overall a great experience, would return if in the area again. Plus I got a great deal though my beloved discount website!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you had a successful awards ceremony!
Portland, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed there for 4 nights in March 2014. I was there for a conference. I am a government employee so I got a government-rate room. The room was not very clean. I could see that the previous occupants had eaten pizza there - I found a piece of pepperoni on the carpet, pizza sauce on the walls and floors. It kind of looked like toddlers had been eating pizza there. The bathroom was clean, except for a little pizza or some sort of red stain on the door frame. It didn't look like they vacuumed my room before I arrived or during my stay. At least they didn't get into the corners at all because there was a receipt on the floor by the window that didn't move during my stay. The hotel is located next to a freeway so there was freeway noise all night - the semis never stopped running. There was no paper recycling. The fitness center was nice. The Rivue hotel on the top floor is pretty cool-it rotates once every 30 minutes so you get a panoramic view of the Ohio River and Louisville. The hotel is conveniently located to downtown Louisville. There's a skywalk to the convention center and other hotels, which is handy. The first waitress who served me in the Magnolia Cafe was good- she brought me a selection of teas. The waitresses I had later didn't seem to understand the difference between decaf and caffeinated tea.

Room Tip: Get a room with a river view. All the rooms probably have the same amount of freeway noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We will make sure our housekeeping department sees your notes. We appreciate you staying with us and hope you'll visit us again.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Great location if you are looking to walk to several area locations. You can catch a cab to Churchill downs for fairly cheap. Friendly staff & I had an issue with my bill that was quickly resolved. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us. We hope you had a great time in Louisville and that you'll visit us again next time you're in town.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The service and staff at this hotel are very helpful and accommodating. Upon check-in, the person checking me in told me they had moved me to a nicer room, one with a view. She was spot on with the view, which was a really nice view of the river, and the interstate. Sleeping became a challenge because I could hear the trucks barreling down the highway all night, to include the "clunk clunk" noises they made as they hit the joints.

Room was clean and spacious, but dingy, out of date and had a very heavy paint smell. If you use the heat, or a/c, the system sounds like a jet engine taking off. I would be fine with everything except the paint smell!

Great location, easy to walk to a lot of things.

Room Tip: Avoid a room with a river view-this also means a highway view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback.
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I don't have any complaints about the Galt house other than the fact that it looks like an older hotel. My room was spacious and clean. Better yet, I didn't hear anything above or beside me which is a plus in my book.

Pros:
The bar/lounge area that is in the elevated crossway between buildings.
Being able to get to 4th street live area without going outside (by using the elevated crosswalks)
Thick towels in the rooms

Cons:
Desk/night stands were showing their age...but that is just a cosmetic thing.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us! We appreciate all your feedback and hope to see you again next time you're in Louisville.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

It certainly is a grand hotel with helpful and friendly service. During our stay, the ventilation was not working in the rooms and walking into our room was an unpleasant experience every time.
The first room in our suit, the living room, had no window and was poorly lit. Past the living room, a hallway lead to the bathroom and bedroom with a sealed window. The window offered a nice view of the highway and the river beyond. Though there was no fresh air in the room, there certainly was s a lot of highway noise coming through the window. According to the maintenance dept. the bathroom exhaust fans are currently not working in the entire hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and will make sure maintenance is addressing the issue.

Been to Galt House Hotel? Share your experiences!