“Good for what it is” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 95 hotels in Louisville
Beattyville, Kentucky
“Good for what it is”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

First off, I have to state that I hate convention-type hotels located in downtown areas. It's not convenient at all to jump in the car and head out to shop, eat, or do anything else. This is especially true of downtown Louisville. I am not a fan of downtowns; I prefer suburbs or facilities out near the interstates for their ease of access and proximity to amenities. I'd rather drive to a Five Guys or a Cracker Barrel than walk to an Old Spaghetti Factory or Hard Rock Cafe. So I already approach this with a jaded eye, having attended many work-related events at three hotels in downtown Louisville over the past several years.

As for the facility itself, it is what it is. Clean, comfortable. I have always stayed in the Suite Tower because those rooms have refrigerators, but I visited a co-workers room in the Rivue Tower this time to help her carry her luggage in, and it appeared to be a standard hotel room, also clean and comfortable.

Myself, I would not stay here on my own dime because of the location and the price. I balk at playing more than $80 a night for a room at a place that has free wi-fi and a free hot breakfast.

Speaking of wi-fi, you have to pay extra to use it in your room and the signal strength is terrible. They advertise free wi-fi in the public areas but this is not true; I could not connect to it on three separate devices.

The in-house restaurants are very expensive for average food. Parking is $12 a night and is not convenient at all.

This kind of my facility is not my cup of tea. It's OK for what it is, but I would never stay here if not on business with someone else paying the bill.

Room Tip: If staying in the Suite Tower, park in the first garage on the right near the entrance to the hotel...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
We're sorry the location of your conference was not one that pleased you. We appreciate your staying with us, and hope you were able to enjoy Louisville while you were downtown.

1,452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is my second stay at this hotel.
This is an old and dated hotel. Great location and cheap parking.
We were in the tower across the street formt he Main Lobby. The first floor had a sewer smell.
Room was not clean. I took pics. WIres hanging from wall lights, rust stains on towels and pillow cases. lights missing switches.
We booked through Hotwire. I called Hotwire immediatley upon finding out the name of the hotel as I paid for and requested a 4 star. This is definetly not a 4 star. It's a 3. Agent told me they reviewed it on Sept 8, 2012 and that is their rating. Agent told me to go check in and if I didn't like the room to call Hotwire. We checked in and mentioned tot he desk clerk that our last stay wasn't very good.
We went to our room then called Hotwire. Agent was kurt and asked if the room was "clean and safe" It was nto clean but I felt it was safe. Agent told me that's all they gurantee.. I then spoke with a supervisor. Same song and dance. Hotwire really is not in to customer service. This was the first time I've had an issue and I was very disppointed on the lack of interest.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel and don't use Hotwire
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are sorry that your stay did not meet expectations. We value your feedback, and will forward it to the appropriate departments. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for jefferson county fire school. We stayed here last year and that we remodeling and didn't tell us and gave us a half butt, dirty room and refused to move us. I swore I would never be back. Well decided to stay this year only because of the location with classes. Room was ok, but got a double instead of a single. Bathroom was dirty. And our floor was so loud we couldn't hardly sleep. I invested over 400 dollars over the weekend and to make it better - came home with bed bug bites! I've had my home inspected and was completely clean but went ahead and trashed my suitcase and some of my clothes just to make sure you don't infest my home and family. I am horribly disappointed and will never be back! I should stayed at your competitor instead. I feel disgusted that I wasted my hard earned money on such a horrible experience. Shame!!!

• Stayed September 2012
We are so sorry to hear about this problem. We do not see that you made a report to us, and we'd like to investigate further. Please contact us at customercare@galthotel.com with more details so that we can get to the bottom of this. We take a proactive stance on bed bugs and work hard to keep our building free of them. Thank you.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight to attend a concert at Freedom Hall. We did NYOP on Priceline and got it for a fantastic price. Our room was a little outdated but everything was clean and functional. The check-in process was super fast and all the employees we encountered were courteous. It is an easy walk to Fourth Street. We would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor. They have nicer views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We are glad you stayed with us and are so happy to be a part of your fun night out! Thank you!
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Right on the river in downtown Louisville (gorgeous view!), this place was just what I was looking for to get for a night while it town for my Bachelorette party. Within walking distance to 4th Street Live! it was perfect. We got a suite and it was super spacious. Everything we needed was there. Everything about the room was clean, except for a couple hairs found on one of the beds. A little pricey, but worth it if you are needing to stay a couple of days and be downtown.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us! We're glad you had a great time at your Bachelorette party! Best wishes for a very happy marriage!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Galt House Hotel for one night this past weekend while in town for a concert downtown. I picked it because of it's prime location and decent reviews. Boy, was I wrong. The lobby of the hotel smelled BADLY of horses and garbage. That would have been easily overlooked if it weren't for the outdated and filthiness of our bedroom. The comforter was stained and old, the bed was rock solid and the sheets were so stif. I was nervous to sleep in the bed for fear of unwashed linens.

The only redeaming quality was the hotel's proximity to downtown.

We almost had to switch hotels last-minute because it was so bad. If we hadn't been running late for the concert, I would have most definitely left.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so sorry to hear that your stay did not meet expectations. We value your feedback and thank you for staying with us.
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is well taken care of and in an excellent location in downtown Louisville, within walking distance of restaurants, bars, and attractions. In fact, we did not use our car once during our three-night stay! The rooms are spacious, updated, and clean. The staff is friendly, and the amenities are top notch. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the Magnolia Grill.

Internet access, unfortunately, is nearly impossible to get in this hotel. We paid the $5.95/night fee for in-room wifi, and it was sporadic at best. In common areas, we could not pick up the free wifi on our laptop, iPhones, and iPads. I heard the front desk fielding questions about this a few times during our stay. The hotel was hosting several conferences while we were there, and it is frustrating for businesspeople/conference attendees not to be able to gain consistent Internet access, even when paying for it.

Other than the lack of wifi, this hotel is great, and we look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
We thank you for staying with us and are thrilled to hear you had a great time being in the Heart of Louisville. We apologize for the wifi problems, and actually have a team trying to figure out the problem, and then to fix it. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Galt House Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!