“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Loved my suite which included two flat-screen TVs, plenty of seating in the 'family room', and even a couple of interior doors that could be closed off at each end of the hallway connecting the family room and the bed room for privacy/sound. My only complaint was that we only had two drinking glasses.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I recently had to stay at this hotel for work during a convention in Louisville, and it might rank up there as one of the ickiest hotels I've ever stayed at. To me, it's comparable to a Super 8 or Holiday Inn Express. The rooms look like they haven't been updated since 1975, and they feel damp and dingy. You would think from the outside that this would be a good hotel...or at least decent, like a Hilton Garden Inn. It's not.

As soon as I walked into the hotel room, it just felt gross. So gross, in fact, that I was hesitant to put my luggage on the floor. It's not that it wasn't clean...it was. It just felt dirty.

What's crazy is that the price was only a few dollars cheaper than the 21C hotel...a really cool hotel that is also downtown. I highly suggest you stay there or at a neighboring Hilton or Marriott over the Galt House.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Olney, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I apologize to everyone as I should have written this review eariler. I stayed at The Galt House for a conference in May 2011. It was the week before my wedding and I was there on a business trip. I started noticing bites ALL over my body after my third night there. WELL I got home on Friday May 19th -- opened up my laptop (which I had charging on one of the beds in my room) to find a bed bug crawl right out of the key board. I immediately googled Beg Bug pictures and sure enough it was a bed bug!!! The next few days more bites were appearing and I was freaking out because I was getting married 6 days later. I later learned that it can take up to three days for bites to appear which is why I did not notice the bites until my third night's stay at the Galt House. When I called the Galt House they were everything BUT helpful. I will never stay there again and advise everyone else to do the same. Since I found a bed bug in my home I had throw out my suit case, purse, north face back pack, I had to put everything in my room in plastic bags and my dad had to spray the entire house. Not exactly what I imagined doing the week before my wedding. We had to rush to get all the wedding favors and other wedding things out of the house. Of course I killed the bed bug right away and flushed it -- if I had kept it I would have had a major law suit. Either way -- NEVER stay at the Galt house! I seriously had bites all over my body -- including one on my eyelid -- so gross they were crawling all over me in my sleep! I check the beds EVERYWHERE I go now! Not only that bed bug bites are acutally really painful. I had to go to the doctor and they but me on steroids -- they said i really needed to be on the oral pills but since it was days before my wedding (and they didnt want me to gain water weight) they gave me a topical cream. If you look at some of my wedding pictures you can still see some of the bites on my arm -- Thank you Galt House...now I will remember staying with you all everytime I look at my wedding pictures!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
GaltCustomerCare, Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Unfortunately, bed bug hysteria has become very common in the United States. The Galt House Hotel has always been and continues to be very proactive with pest management inspections and preventative maintenance. In this particular case, we had a Nationally-recognized pest-control firm, OPC Pest Control, immediately inspect the room after the report of bed bugs. OPC confirmed, without a doubt, that there were no bed bugs present in the room. In fact, no pests were found in the room at all.

The guest had found a pest in her laptop after arriving home, which she may have picked up during her travels from any of the locations she visited after staying with us. We relayed the findings of our pest control company to the guest and fully refunded the room charges, even offering to further compensate for future cleaning services at her home. The guest said she would take necessary actions at home and send us any receipts. We have not heard anything from this guest until this online posting.

We acted in a spirit of generosity, knowing that the guest may have found a pest, for which we were apologetic, but not knowing whether this pest was from our facility. Anonymously addressing these issues online, without the ability for a two-way dialogue, is cowardly and should alert all readers to the lack of validity of these claims.

For our future guests, it is important to know that, as stated by the American Hotel & Lodging Association, bed bugs are not a symptom of hotel cleanliness or sanitation. Bed bugs are brought into hotels by guests and do not transmit any human disease. The trained and knowledgeable Housekeeping staff at the Galt House Hotel is one of the best lines of defense along with our regular inspections. We pride ourselves on keeping our teams equipped with the knowledge, training, and tools needed to identify and address any issues, and we regularly review our Housekeeping standards and procedures to ensure that each guest enjoys a safe, clean and comfortable environment in our hotel. The aforementioned OPC Pest Control company provides inspections, treatments and educational programs to address this difficult issue. They also offer multiple in-service programs to educate facility staff in identifying bed bug activity. If evidence of bed bugs is found or reported in a guest room, we take swift action. The guest room is immediately removed from service, treated and left vacant for approximately two weeks to allow for additional inspections and/or treatment. While no hotel can claim a pest-free environment, the Galt House Hotel does everything in its power to make our guests as comfortable as possible and will continue to do so. We encourage all of our guests to report any alleged incidents to us promptly so we can quickly address the situation.

If you have questions about bed bugs regarding your upcoming stay, please do not hesitate to talk with us directly by emailing customercare@galthouse.com or calling 502.589.5200 and asking for the Operations Manager.

Slater Coe | Operations Manager | Galt House Hotel | W – 502.568.4265 | scoe@galthotel.com
Danville, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

We have stayed at the Galt on numerous occasions and have never had a bad experience. It is always clean, the staff is always friendly and it is convenient to everything we like to do! Louisville is a very fun city with lots of different types of activities. It seems there is always something to do!

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Clean, friendly and very good price for what you get.

Terre Haute, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Average room, small bed pillows, no guides in room to Louisville's attractions, no newspaper in the morning, no quick checkout and general signs of wear in the room. Good view of the river however...I'll give them that. Definitely not anything above a 3-star rating, Bourbon bar or not.

Room Tip: Ask for a River view as high as you can get to help dampen the noise of the highway.
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

This is such a unique family owned hotel in the heart of Louisville. It is a must stay if you are in the area. My friends and I stay there every time we go to Louisville. It is well known and well liked by everyone I know. It is in the heart of downtown with beautiful views. It is close to restaurants, museums and nightlight! There is a free trolley that you can take from the hotel to Fourth Street Live where there are lots of restaurants and bars. You must splurge on the suite if you stay at this hotel- it is so spacious and comfortable and only a few dollars more.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Galt House Hotel? Share your experiences!