“Galt House is ABSOLUTELY the BEST...we come here every year!!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Galt House Hotel to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   140 North Fourth Street, Louisville, KY 40202   |
Ranked #27 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Arlington, Texas
“Galt House is ABSOLUTELY the BEST...we come here every year!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Galt House is one of the BEST downtown Hotels in the country when comparing facilities, staff, amenities, character, location, and history. The entire Staff, from Reservations, Front Desk, Bellmen, Security, Housekeeping is very well trained and managed. They conduct themselves professionally at all times. The facilities...well, they are GREAT!! Rooms are spacious, and very clean. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are well designed, well expect for one small detail...you cannot reach a bath towel from the shower!! :) The food in the restaurants is very good quality, and reasonably priced. The Exercise Room is a 360 view of the Ohio River and Downtown. Walking distance to several features - restaurants, shopping, entertainment and museums (Louisville Bat Factory, Ali, art, etc.). We have returned to Louisville to attend the National Street Rod Nationals (NSRA) for fourteen years (12 years at the Galt House - took us a couple of times here before we discovered it..but now we tell everyone!!)

Room Tip: The King or Double Queen Suite is the best room...almost like staying at home.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
GaltCustomerCare, Customer CARE at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2011
Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for the wonderful review regarding your most recent stay at the Galt House Hotel. We are proud to read that our staff provided an enjoyable stay experience for you and your guest. We hope you will consider the Galt House Hotel for future visits to the Louisville area.

Customer CARE Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
Russell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Fantastic place to stay, great breakfast buffet at Cafe Magnolia. If you like Kentucky Bourbon you have to go to Jockey Silks. Excellent & knowledgeable staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your most recent visit to the Galt House Hotel and for taking the time to share your stay experience with us. We hope you will consider the Galt House Hotel for any future visit to the Lousivllle area.

Customer CARE
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I met a friend of mine here...after not seeing each other for 20 years. We had a blast! The room was very spacious, clean and quiet. There were three weddings, a convention, family reunions going on...and we never were bothered by any of them. The room was very reasonable for the size, we had a suite. Tons to do in the hotel itself, and 4th street is just a couple of blocks away. Wonderful getaway weekend! Will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Meridian, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I was in Louisville for a convention and upon arriving at the airport for my flight home, Delta was oversold and needed volunteers to stay until the next morning. Since it was a Friday evening and I didn't have work the next day, I volunteered.
Delta provided me with one night's stay at the Galt House in downtown Louisville, transportation to and from the hotel, and meal vouchers. I was ecstatic.

When I arrived at the Galt House, it was crowded. There is a gigantic lobby with several lines waiting to check-in. Everyone from families (circus was in town) to college students bringing coolers full of beer to there rooms. When I finally reached the front desk, they told me Delta had booked an executive suite and handed me my keys.

The hotel is broke into two towers. One tower consists of hotel rooms and the other is suites and possibly residences. When I opened my door, my jaw dropped at the size of my room. The main room was bigger than most hotel suites alone. There was two couches forming an "L" with a giant television. An entire kitchen table next to a wet bar. Down a long hallway was the bedroom with a giant king size bed and a view overlooking the river.

I went to dinner and had drinks and returned around 1:15am. The lobby was still crowded with late night people milling around.

Overall, the hotel was perfect. It was way more than I could have expected for free.

I took a cab to and from the airport with my vouchers (around $20 each way), so I didn't see what options were available for parking.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I had such high hopes for this hotel, but was completely let down. This hotel has definetly had better days. It is obvious that at one time this place was a wonderful. And it has really big potential to be great again, but it needs some major improvements. First of all the biggest issue is by far cleanliness. All of the carpets and furnishings are very stained and dirty. The next biggest issue is the hotel room doors. They slam shut no matter how gently you try to close them. Therefore we were not able to go to sleep until about 4:00 a.m. when everyone was in. There is also no soundproofing whatsoever. We could hear everything in the hallways and when any toilet flushed on our floor. The pool area has also seen much better days. It is not clean and the pool furniture is old and needs replacing.
The hotel room itself was ok. It did look like there was some new pictures and wallpaper. But the beds were the older cheaper style pillow top beds that are pretty hard. And the pillows could not have been smaller. The room itself was also dirty. The furnishings had not been cleaned, there was crumbs on the tables and the floor. The bathroom was also disgusting with hair all over.
One more thing to mention is that the parking was $12. The parking garage is a nightmare though with terrible signage and long walks. I would highly recommend valet parking for $18.
There is a couple of things that made this hotel a 2* instead of a 1* in my opinion. That is the location of the hotel and the views. It is right on the river and it is an easy walk to the KFC Yum center and the 4th Street Live areas.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverview.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
galt140, Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Galt House Hotel on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Louisville.I had a chance to review the survey that you recently completed. I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate our all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.
Valparaiso, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Stayed here over the weekend in room 1711 for four nights.. Beautiful river view from room. Downtown location is great! Conveniet to walk to local restaurants and 4th Street Live. I enjoyed the area very much. Trolley right outside the front door to take you to Museums and Art attractions.

The room was very quiet. No hallway noise or noise from your neighbors next door. No floor stomping from above and we were right next to the ice machine and elevator and there was no noise from the use of them. Planes would fly overhead, but you could not hear the engine noise. No housekeeping noise up and down the hallway.

The room needed a thorough dusting. I could not put anything in the drawers because they were not clean. Drawers would also not stay shut, just kept rolling open. No attention to detail in the housekeeping area. Beds are short sheeted and the sheets have a plastic-paper feel. The gold bedspreads are very outdated and the black side is pilly. Shower curtain off the hooks. No clean glasses one day. No bath matt, had to use hand towel. Tired borwn carpet and black & white pictures. An inch wide strip of dust around the perimiter of the room where the vaccuum couldn't reach and evidently no one has used a crevice tool on it lately. No pizazz in the decor. This place could be a real gem very easily. New bedding with fitted sheets and comforters would add so much!

Room Tip: Odd number rooms have the best view. example 1711
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Indy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed at the Galt House as part of a package deal. Our daughter was attending a concert at the Yum Arena so we booked the package at the "special" package rate. Realized after booking that it would have been cheaper to not do the package and pay for parking separately....check prices carefully when booking!
Check in was quick and efficient. Desk personnel was cordial; answered questions. No problems.
We had a suite on the renovated area of the Galt House. The room was a nice size but a bit dark. We had a lovely view of the roof and parking garage next door; maybe blocking the view was why the curtains were so heavy? Plumbing in the hotel was VERY loud. We could hear our neighbors flushing their toilet while in the bedroom of our room.
We ate at the Magnolia cafe and were not impressed. Sandwiches were overpriced and not good. Staff acted like they had better things to do, even though it was not at all busy when we were there.
Our kids ordered a pizza from room service and were happy with what they got. Arrived quickly.
One pro for the hotel-the concert was cancelled. Taylor Swift became ill and the concert was cancelled very late. We had relatives staying in the hotel that night who opted to check out after learning the concert was cancelled. The hotel gave them a prorated refund, which they were not obligated to do.
I probably wouldn't stay here again. Although I consider the price reasonable, I think there are better alternatives in the area. It wasn't a bad stay; it just was okay.

Room Tip: Request the renovated part of the building with a view!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Galt House Hotel? Share your experiences!