“Great pool & location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Breckinridge Inn

You added Breckinridge Inn to your Saves list
Breckinridge Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2800 Breckinridge Lane, Louisville, KY 40220 (East Louisville)   |
Ranked #58 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Cartersville, Georgia USA
“Great pool & location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights this trip and have stayed for weekend trips in the past. The indoor pool is great even if it gets crowded sometimes on the weekend evenings. It is large and they always have a lane reserved for swimming laps. There is always one or two lifeguards on duty to keep thing in order. There is also a large hot tub and the dressing room has a large steam room. Upstairs there is a small gym area with dumbbells, tread mills, rowing machine and some old but well kept weight machines. Outside there is a large outdoor pool. This can get crowded on the summer weekends since locals buy memberships in the gym & pool. They get chairs early and stay for a long time, ordering pizza, etc.

Rooms are fine. They were renovated a year ago and while not a fancy hotel, they are just fine. Plenty of TV channels including HBO. We were down near the pool and the wifi had very good reception. Breakfast is just so so. 3 kinds of cereal, bagels, toast and sugars things, no fruit, peanut butter or eggs.

There is a sports bar in the basement below reception but you can't hear any noise from it in the hotel. I haven't been in it but judging from the number of cars on Friday and Saturday nights out front, it is very popular.

Plenty of restaruants either way up or down Breckinridge Dr. St. Matthews Mall and Oxmoor Malls 5 min. away.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Louisville, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Date: December 30, 2008

I use to be a travel agent for ten years and this is my view on the hotel.

The hotel, although old, was clean and the staff was very helpful and friendly. The décor in the standard small room was traditional and had two double beds, cable TV, coffee maker, desk with chair, iron and iron board, and a leather recliner. The bathroom has a blow dryer and a heating unit in the ceiling that you could turn on to avoid getting cold. If you want a small refrigerator, you had to pay additional $15.00 dollars. The room, we had, did not have any comforters on top of the sheets, just a small piece of material at the edge of the bed, so if you get cold easily, crank up the heat. Our room was located near the pool area, and we had no sound issues. We never heard our friends TV or anyone outside of our room.

The hotel amenities included a clean and heated indoor pool with lap lanes, Olympic outdoor pool (closed for the winter), hot tub, men and women showers with sauna, steam room, and lockers, and a small fitness room upstairs. The hot tub was closed due to a new Kentucky law that went into effect on December 18, so please call ahead to see if it is working. They have a lifeguard on duty at all times. FYI - The pool is only open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Most pools stay open longer.

A continental breakfast buffet was included in the price. They have muffins, bagels, toast, doughnuts, three different cereals, milk, juice, coffee, and water. Their web site said, “fresh fruit,” however, there was none to be found. If you are wanting a hot breakfast, there is a McDonald’s, Waffle House, or Denny’s nearby.

My family and friends decided to stay at the hotel to celebrate New Year’s Eve and had a wonderful time. We enjoyed listening to Jerry Green and Friends. All of us were worried that it would be all old songs, but the band played all types of music. Nevertheless, I do think the coordinator could make some improvements.

First, when serving the hors d’oeuvres from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., play some soft or fun music, so people can dance or have something to listen to and not get bored. In addition, the location of the hor d’oeuvres should be in a completely different place (not on the dance floor). Second, I understand that the hotel wants to make money, but you need to limit how many people are in this small room. I felt sorry for the people that were located in the back areas, they could not see the band playing and even though we were very lucky to be right next to the dance floor, I felt like a sardine because there was too many people. If there were a fire, we would have been in trouble. Third, for the price of the room and party, I felt the drinks could have been priced a little lower.

Check in time is 3 p.m. and check out at 12 p.m. but because it was New Year’s Day, we were able to check out at 3 p.m.

The evening we check in, we found out that there were two cars that were broken into the night before, one car on each side of the building. I have two suggestions. First, never leave anything in your car that someone might want, when staying at any hotel. Second, park in the front of the building were there is plenty of light.

AAA rates this hotel as a three-diamond hotel. I have to agree with them.

• Liked — The pool area.
  • Stayed December 2008
Clyde, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

I got married in October 2008 and stayed at this hotel coming from out of town. It looked nice so I encouraged our guests to stay here as well. I have never been so humiliated in my life. The place was dirty from top to bottom. The desk clerks were horribly rude and good luck getting a good nights rest. The lounge in the basement of the hotel was so loud that we could hear it all the way up to the 2nd floor even at 2 in the morning. Not to mention the lounge patrons were less then savory. Just a bunch of drunk fools being loud and disturbing the whole establishment. Don't get me wrong, I'm 32 years old and I love a good party, but enough is enough. I would not recommend this place to anybody. The place needs a huge over-haul and management needs to get a grip on their staff. I will never stay here again and I strongly recommend future guests pay a little more and stay somewhere else...or in this case you could even pay less and get 100% better service and lodging.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything..very unsatisfied.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Southeast Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

My wife and I wanted a nice weekend getaway in Louisville, so we chose the Breckinridge Inn. We got a really great rate on their website.

Our room was very spacious. The room had a king size bed, a couch, an office table, a microwave and mini fridge and still had plenty of floor space to walk around. The room was very clean. We look under the cushions, under the mattress pad, under the bed, in and behind the furniture etc. when we stay somewhere and this room passed our inspection with flying colors. There were absolutely no mystery stains on the mattress at all or any visible dirt anywhere. All furniture was in good repair, the bed was comfortable and the TV had a large selection of channels to choose from. The noise level was about average with other hotels and certainly was not a problem. The wireless internet was easy to connect to but the speed was a little slower than average. It was still fast enough to surf the web with no major problems.

The only thing that could have been better was the towels and washcloths could have been a bit softer. They were very clean, but just a little on the rough side. A big fluffy towel is always a plus. It wasn't enough to be a problem, but fluffy towels would have pushed my overall review up to a five instead of a four.

My wife and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — Large, very clean room, nice furniture, mini fridge and microwave
  • Disliked — Rough towels and wash cloths
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Farmington, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

Stayed three nights for a basketball camp. Rooms were clean. Staff was friendly. Price was right.
The continental breakfast was limited but good enough to grab some cereal or a bagel before heading out for the day.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Lexington, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

We found the Breckenridge Inn to be a great value for what you got. It was nestled in a quiet residential neighborhood right off the interstate. It is a little old but very clean and quiet. We loooked online and found a great internet rate. When I called the property they said they would honor that rate directly. So, our room was very cheap to get an indoor pool with a lifeguard! It was great for a one nights stay with a toddler. Would highly recommend this hotel if you don't mind a little "old."

• Liked — the indoor pool
  • Disliked — the free continental breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vernon Hills
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

Don't stay here.

We spent four nights here and never a got a single good night's sleep.

The biggest problem is noise. The walls are paper thin. We filed noise complaints on two out of the four nights and the other two nights we could still hear the televisions next door and people outside. (I certainly would not recommend getting intimate unless you want neighbors to know what you are up too.)

The second problem is the mattress is nearly as hard as the floor. I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm not. Your really have to like firm to like the beds here.

At one time, this was probably a really nice hotel. The location is good and the price is decent, so it is a shame that this hotel is so bad.

Spend a few extra dollars a night and go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Breckinridge Inn? Share your experiences!