“A Revolutionary, educational experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Locust Grove

Locust Grove
561 Blankenbaker Lane, Louisville, KY 40207 (East Louisville)
502 897 9845
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 61 Attractions in Louisville
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1790, Locust Grove is the former home of the founder of Louisville.
Louisville, Kentucky
8 attraction reviews
“A Revolutionary, educational experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

I have always enjoyed Locust Grove, it's very peaceful and the grounds are well kept. The house is undergoing renovations and well worth checking out. I really liked what I saw regarding the work done. It is more welcoming than most historic homes, it conveys a more lived in feel. The staff is very informative and eager to answer any questions you may have, they really seem to love what they do. There are plenty of out building to explore on the grounds. The gardens are very nice, I particularly enjoy the lilacs and the herbs. I love visiting when the have the Reenactors on the grounds (generally in April and October) they add so much to the visit. Your average reenactor can teach you more about the history of that period than most college professors. The gift shop carries alot of items for children, but a good selection of books, and lovely items for the home also.

louisville
“Locust Grove- educational & fun”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

Locust Grove has a terrific hands on museum that walks children (and adults) through the lives of children during the pioneer days. They learn about what chores they would do each day and are able to interact with the exhibit which adds to their learning 10 fold. The grounds and home are beautiful- but the woman behind the counter was very rude and physically headed for him when my son picked up a pop-gun in the gift shop (it had a sticker on it that said "try me") I was standing right with my child and I would have bought the toy for him, but not after that experience. It was unfortunate that after such a nice time in the actual museum, a member of the staff put a real damper on the day for us. i'd give it a better rating if they trained a friendlier staff!