“The Dirtiest Room Ive Stayed In” 1 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Lexington
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1920 Stanton Way, Lexington, KY 40511   |
Ranked #32 of 64 Hotels in Lexington
Detroit, Michigan
“The Dirtiest Room Ive Stayed In”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Im not saying all the rooms are filthy but the one I stayed in was gross. I dont think the sheets were even changed. I would recommend that you DON'T stay here.

I realize that cleanliness is all dependent on the housekeeper so maybe it was a fluke? I worked as a housekeeper at a Fairfield and Residence Inn for about 7 months when I was 18 and while I cleaned the rooms to perfection I worked with a guy whom I actually caught not changing the sheets of the rooms. Im glad I had this crappy career experience because it made me aware of certain things - like how, for example, the coverlet/ top blanket is rarely changed on hotel beds. (only when it has a visible stain).

I was passing through on a trip and read that this hotel was clean and low cost. Normally Im a hotel snob and only stay in 3 star hotels if I just want somewhere to sleep and shower and 4 star hotels if Im on a vacation but I was alone and not thrilled about spending the money on the trip I was on anyway (10 hour drive to visit a relative) so I decided to stay here. I hadnt even planned on spending the night in a hotel but I got a late start driving and I was dead tired. I rely on Trip Advisor to decide which hotels to stay in and Ive never made a bad choice based on the reviews but I didnt have my computer and was trying to use my non-smart phone to read reviews whilst sleep deprived. I picked this one after reading a few reviews that it was "clean." I figured it would probably be depressingly outdated and cheaply decorated but it never occured it me it would just be DIRTY.

On the way to the room there were dark carpet stains by the stairs and it smelled like urine. When I opened my room it smelled like stale cigarette smoke. It felt like there wasnt enough oxygen in the room and of course the windows wouldnt open. It was bad. Im no prima donna and Im not one of those women that complains about overwhelming cologne or something but this smell was sickening and really uncomfortable. I thought okay...strike one.

I always hate it when people take pictures of tiny blemishes on the furniture and walls and act like it is the end of the world but this place didnt have tiny blemishes it had huge marks all over. There were marks on the walls everywhere - the doors - the a/c unit. It was badly in need of a thorough scrubbing and paint job.

I looked over the beds - they seemed ok at first glance - neatly made up. I pulled back the sheets of one of the double beds and - i kid you not - there was a tiny bead on a wire from what looked like cheap costume jewelry between the sheets up by the pillows. Now there are two explanations - either the sheets werent changed or it was from the house keeper. Normally earring beads dont just randomly fall off whilst you are wearing them so Im pretty sure a woman slept there and the sheets had not been changed. On both beds I found a couple hairs in between the sheets - now being an optimist I could say that is from the laundry but realistically I think it was from the previous guest.

There was a stale smell I noticed - like dirty laundry with a bunch of gym socks. I found it was coming from the capret by the bed. I bent down to verify the smell was the carpet and there was a stain I saw on the bed skirt of the bed I found the bead on. I will say it was a semen stain and I know that anyone reading this will think ("yeah right - how do you know?") For the same reason you see any stain and can tell what it is. If you saw a ketchup stain on the bed skirt you would know too. It doesnt help that this hotel is right off the highway and cheap which makes it likely to be used with prostitutes. There was in fact a semen satin on the bed skirt - trust me.

I have no idea how dirty tthe carpet was - hotel carpet is designed to hide stains and dirt. I would bet by the smell that if the carpet had began as white it would be brown.

Due to my confident concllusion that the sheets had probably not been changed I went to the office to ask the woman for a few flat sheets and pillow cases. She acted irritated slightly - I understand since it was like 4 in the morning and she said she had to walk to another building to get them. I worked in customer service for 15 years and would have walked backwards on my hands to get the sheets for a guest but I dont hold others to the standards of service I gladly gave so I told her not to bother. She seemed to feel bad and did want to help me so she looked in the office behind her and found a blanket that she offered me. She actually seemed very sweet at that point and I took it knowing it would probably be filthy. It was. I didnt use it.

To sleep I took a few pieces of my clean laundry and fashioned a pillow case out of it and just peeled back the top blankets and bit the bullet with the sheets. It is hard to fall asleep with stale smoky air in a dirty bed in a foreign city but eventually I did.

The bathroom was just as great. Hairs on the floor, on the sink (head hairs as well as what looked like beard trimmings) and in the shower. This is unacceptable. When I was housekeeping we were taught to make certain there were no hairs visible anywhere. There had to be 10 or more on the bathroom floor, sink, and shower alone. The toiletries were fine and the toilet paper on the holder by the toilet was folded into that little "v" to make people think the room had actually been cleaned. The shower curtain was dirty and hideous - it was bright orange and had some cheesy phrase like "have a great morning, sunshine" or something printed on it. I dont care about a dirty shower curtain - that is the least of my worries.

HA HA HA HA - you want some coffee in the morning? Sure. but not out of the cheap one cup coffee maker that had a thick layer of matted on dust all over it.

I ate breakfast in the lobby - a lot of the breakfast seemed to be already put away which was weird to me because it was 10 am. I suppose that must be late for most. There were still muffins. cereal, millk, coffee, fruit, and boiled eggs. It was ok - I sat and watched whatever was on tv and the woman tending to the breakfast area was friendly and chatting away about the show. There was some guy sweeping who seemed to spent an insane amount of time doing it. After About 10-15 minutes of him sweeping this 15 by 15 foot room I was in I kind of thought "what the hell is taking him so long?" I suppose he must have been trying to milke the clock - I dont know. It would take anyone 2 minutes to sweeo a room that size. It was weird.

I usually wear flip flops in public showers and forgot mine - this is the last place I wanted to put my bare feet so I threw a small towel down (as if that saved me from any living microorganisms or bodily waste that was festering on the shower floor).

I normally leave a tip of 5 dollars for a housekeeper in the morning but I left no tiip and ripped all the sheets off both beds. I thought about taking off the bedskirt with the semen stain but I would have done it only with gloves. I wanted to take pictures but I didnt have my camera with me.

Earlier I said it is the housekeeper's fault if a room isnt cleaned but really it is the management's fault for not making sure the rooms are being cleaned. I cannot imagine why anyone would say this was a clean hotel. I would not stay there again if someone paid me to.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our greeting at check in was "Why are you bothering me" attitude. Sort of slovenly. I got 2 rooms: one for my wife and me and one for my daughter and her family. Our rooms were in an alcove with 3 other rooms. We were barely settled when several dogs started barking. A call to the front desk got a "can't do anything about it" response "unless you want to move." There were 2 dogs in the room and there were no people in the room according to the front desk. I was standing in the hall in front of the room when a woman with another dog walked to the room where the other dogs were barking. I told to keep the dogs quiet or I'd call the police. Another woman entered the room which was reeking with smoke although this is supposed to be a non-smoking section.
My daughter later learned that the dog ladies and their dogs were moved to another room. Good luck to their neighbors!
The shower/tub has mold around part of the seam where the wall meets the tub. The inside of the toilet door has mold on the door panels.
Stay away from this price.

Room Tip: Try the Fairfield across the street or one of the other nearby hotels -it would be worth a few bucks...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Saginaw, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had made reservations 3 weeks ahead of stay and even called the week of and verifed we were told we had a moved on upper level, kig bed and smoking. But when we got there, on time, we were told there weren't any smoking rooms avaible and the person at desk laughed when I told her we had reserved a smoking room and not on upper floor it was right next to POOL! the room itself was not to bad if it had been a 50 dollar a night room, WILL NOT EVER USE LA QUINTA ANYWHERE AGAIN!!!!!!
BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stop through once a year as a halfway point to rest from summer trips and always have a pleasent experience. Ms Wilma always makes me and my kids safe by keeping our room location close to the front desk. Price is always right! No hidden surprises.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The Staff was very friendly and accomidating. We were searching for a place to stay after being on the road for over fifteen hours. The fact that we also had our dog (who weighs 70+ pounds) with us did not make our search easy. We were extremely tired and a little frusrated trying to find a place that was affordable and would also take our pet. When wr called LaQuinta Inn and they had a room available, we were very relieved. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room had everything we needed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Cheyenne, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed at the Lexington La Quinta 28 May 2013-2 Jun 2013. Overall, the hotel was fine, and very reasonable priced, especially for a last minute trip.

The hotel is away from the city center, and but very convenient to the highways. I did note a mold problem in the bathroom, and have seen it in every hotel I have stayed at in Lexington.

I would consider staying again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to La Quinta Inn Lexington? Share your experiences!