“Kentucky Blue Grass Charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Swann's Nest Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lexington
Swann's Nest Bed and Breakfast
You added Swann's Nest Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
3463 Rosalie road, Lexington, KY 40510   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Lexington B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Spokane, Washington
“Kentucky Blue Grass Charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was our first visit to Kentucky and found the location convenient to our Bourbon Festival itinerary. The property was stunning and charming as mentioned by other reviewers. Jason and Rosalie were most welcoming and provided us with helpful suggestions for touring the area. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable, with a balcony overlooking the garden. We found it most restful. While we did not smell cigarette smoke in our room, the couple we traveled with did notice a stale smoke smell in theirs. We thoroughly enjoyed the horse farm and Jason's enthusiastic tales, and appreciated him allowing us to tag along during the early morning feeding rounds. Afterwards, he offered us a variety of options for breakfast. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Vallejo, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Superb property located just outside downtown Lexington so one is close to the action of the city but removed from the noise and pace. Rosalie and Jason proved great hosts and one felt immediately comfortable. The horses grazing over the 15 acres lending a perfect backdrop to what one would expect from a working horse farm and candidly I can't imagine a nicer setting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hilliard, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The property was inviting and beautiful. It nestled in the middle of a horse farm but no smell of horses present. We saw horses and ponies grazing on the hills. One evening, we heard the horses running and playing. COOL. We met up w/our friends who also stay here. We weren't the only guests there but it never felt crowded. Rosalie was very friendly and funny. She's a joy to chat with. My husband and I slept like a babies (and he's super picky about beds!!). Other reviews stated they could smell cigarette smoke inside. Me, my husband, and our friends don't smoke and we didn't smell a thing inside. All smoking was done outside. Yes, the breakfast was like a hotel's continental breakfast but I knew it would be from the website. However, Rosalie offered to make us eggs each morning (any way we wanted them) and had a home baked breakfast casserole available on Sunday. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I'll start with the pros of the Swann's Nest B&B:
- The setting is gorgeous. It sits on a horse farm in rolling hills, has a lovely garden, and a beautiful and quiet front yard.
- The rooms were well-appointed and clean.
- Rosalie was nice and welcoming.
- The location was out of the city but a very convenient drive to Lexington and the surrounding area.
- The breakfast was fine but not much different than a hotel's continental breakfast.

The cons:
- I didn't read the previous reviews closely enough and was surprised to find the indoor smoking. While the occupants didn't seem to smoke inside anymore, the entire house had a stale smoke smell that wasn't pleasant (especially with my asthma).
- Our room was advertised as having a king-sized bed. While the frame was a king, the bed itself was two twin mattresses on the king-sized frame. This wasn't a huge deal, but was not as expected.
- The TV in the kitchen/dining area was central to the whole house. On one of our two nights, the TV was blaring (and I mean loudly, even with our room door closed) until 11 pm. On the second night, it was turned off at 10, which was better. However, since the TV was on the entire time we were there, it made the common spaces much less appealing. We were hoping to spend some quiet time reading but were forced to either hole up in our room or flee the house because of the noise level.

While I've stayed in worse places, I'm not sure this place was worth the money. I think a non-smoking room at a decent hotel would've been more relaxing, if less aesthetically appealing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The surrounding area was beautiful and rooms were extremely large and very clean, however they didn't have a cozy-b&b feel to them. It might have well as been a hotel. Although Rosalie was welcoming, the personal clutter around the kitchen made me feel like I was staying at a distant relative's home, not professional lodging. We even felt like we had to tiptoe in the house to get a glass of wine at night as if we were swiping it from the liquor cabinet. I didn't bother with what they had available for breakfast (store bought pastries in the plastic packaging). Although lovely from the outside, I wouldn't recommend this place to friends as it wasn't worth the price. (Oh, and she chain-smokes inside - gross!)

Room Tip: Avoid the main house if you are sensitive to smoking indoors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The grounds and home of this B & B were beautiful, in the middle of horse country. In fact, the inn is part of the Cygnet Horse Farm, with horses on the property. You feel like you're miles from nowhere, but still close to all the Lexington action. It was amazingly quiet and comfortable; we had a terrace overlooking the beautiful gardens below.

The breakfast service was minimal. It was sufficient, but not what is typical of a B & B. Think of it as a B & DIYCB (Do-it-yourself continental breakfast).

If you are a stickler for security you may have a problem. We were not offered a key for our room, and when we inquired were told that they never use them. It didn't matter; the lock on the door to our terrace didn't work anyway.

Looking for a comfortable, lovely, quiet place to stay? This is it. But leave your valuables elsewhere and adjust your breakfast expectations accordingly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Central City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Rosalie and Jason really made our stay comfortable, both materially and personally. The house and grounds are magnificent and they really put us at ease. I knew very little about horses but after Jason's tour now feel like an expert in thoroughbred horse racing and now consider myself a fan of the sport. Keeneland, right next door, is a great place to visit. There was only training going on during our stay but the riders seem to welcome spectators. Many of them said hi to us as they entered. Rosalie is very approachable and knowledgeable about the area. She welcomed us into her home and it kind of felt like we were staying at a relative's house instead of a B and B, comfortable, friendly, and respectful. My son and I enjoyed walking around the grounds, admiring the garden and looking at the horses and scenery. I enjoyed talking with Rosalie about things to do in the area and also about her Kentucky Derby experiences. As far as the comments in other reviews about the smoke smell, I was apprehensive, as I am sensitive to that, but it was not evident. We had a great time with great memories.

Room Tip: I think we were in the smallest room but it was still spacious.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Swann's Nest Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!