“Comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Lexington
Owensboro, KY
“Comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This property has been here for many years. Yes, it could be renovated in the next few years, but it still does the job. The rooms are fine and the hotel is great for conferences. Nice breakfast buffet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Beautiful suburban area of Lexington - just like you imagine a postcard would look like of rolling green hills, white fences and thorough-bred horses.

Great king memory-foam beds, I slept very well in this quiet area known as Griffin Gate.

Nice bar and had a great steak at the restaurant - perfect hotel choice for business or pleasure when in the Lexington area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The Marriot Griffing Gate Resort has been a premier property for many years, however my last visit was very disappointing. The property is undergoing some refurbishng and many of the updates are much needed. Lovely new carpeting, fresh paint, new bathroom mirrors etc. However, the management has replaced the traditional mattresses with foam ( aka) tempur pedic. At first the mattress felt very hard, but when you finally were able to climb into bed, the foam slowly sank much like quicksand until you had created a crater from which there seemed to be no escape. I awoke every hour all night trying to climb out of the hole and change position. As the week wore on, I got less and less sleep. In addition, the temperature control in our room appeared to have a mind of it's own. No matter what temperature was selected, the room temperature vascillated wildly from hot to cold. Many of my associates who were attending the same meeting had similar experiences. Another had to change rooms because at first there was not cold water, only scalding hot water, then no hot water at all! Sadly, for all the efforts at improvement, they really missed the mark on this one

Room Tip: Ask if there are rooms with no foam mattresses unless you are truly a fan of this type of mattress.
Lafayette, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This property is far enough out of downtown Lexington to let you relax, yet close enough to quickly arrive at any city destination. It is in the process of renovating all of its guest rooms. We stayed in a newly renovated room and it was very comfortable. The bathroom is on the small side, but i appreciated the new "memory foam" mattress. The staff is very accommodating, even of last-minute requests. Prices in restaurant are typical for this type of property. We're looking forward to returning here in July and again in September. Lack of shuttle to & from airport or downtown locations is a drawback, as is lack of free wi-fi internet access.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the ground floor, with small patios overlooking the golf course.
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here on a last minute's decision after Christmas. The holiday lights were still on the grounds and it was simply beautiful when we drove up to the property in the dark. The stonework everywhere is just gorgeous. Since it was a quiet time of the year, there was a room for a free upgrade. Oh my gosh, the Marriott Temperpedic beds are the ultimate in sleep comfort. We ended up buying a bed! Never regretted it. This is a wonderful Marriott property not to be missed if you're in the Lexington area!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Marrott Griffin Gate for business. I stay here annually for a conference. I needed help with my bags but one bellman was helping someone else and the other one was watching the Superbowl. The rooms overall are quite nice in a beautiful area of Kentucky set well off the road so a beautiful view of the grounds. The bathrooms are very small, but typical for an older hotel. The hotel does update the furnishing every few years and has many nice areas to sit and relax.. In fact, they are currently renovating. I got to see both an updated room and non-renovated room. I was first put in a room with 2 double beds ( I had requested king) on the 1st floor which resembled a dungeon. The light was not working when I entered the room so I could barely see until I poked around trying to find a lamp. I then went to the window to see the view. NO view except for a concrete wall with a peek of shrubbery toward the top. Tried to call the desk, but no one answered. Lugged my bags back to the desk and requested a different room which they quickly accomadated. I got the bellman who was helping the other person that time as the other guy was still watching the Superbowl.This room was newly renovated with nice furnishings and extremely nice black lamps with many outlets in the base and a fantastic reading lamp attached. Loved the lamp! The bathroom lighting is MUCH improved with lighting all around behind the mirror!!! Great TV with an excellent picture and wide range of channels. Rooms and bathrooms are very clean. Now for the bed. Marriott has Temprepedic mattresses which are like sleeping on a rock to me. It is difficult to turn or get out of the bed, they are so firm. Since the new rooms have new mattresses, these were especially HARD! I have a sleep number bed at home, so this mattress was a board compared. I slept very little the two nights I was there. The staff except for the bellman, or lack of bellman, were great. As I left, I needed help with my bags and no bellman in sight again. He mysteriously appeared when I re-entered the hotel after dragging my bags to the car. I did get free internet as a Marriott Rewards member which would have otherwise been $12.95 a day. Overall this is a very nice, clean, consistent hotel. Get rid of the mattresses and hire some bellman that are not watching the Superbowl or hiding and it would be grand!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the grounds. Also, ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GriffinGate, Manager at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for the very thoughtful review, Slm1206. We certainly appreciate all of our compliments regarding our newly renovated rooms. All of our rooms will be completed in just a few short weeks ahead!

I would like to apologize for the less than exemplary service you experienced from our team. We take great pride in providing outstanding service and I'm sorry you did not experience this. We will follow up on your feedback and make this an important "teachable moment" with our team.

We appreciate your feedback also regarding our new Tempur-Pedic Contour Select beds. We understand the importance a good night's rest. The great folks at Tempur-Pedic - along with several of our guests who own Tempur-Pedic mattresses - have assured us that in a very short amount of time these new mattresses will fully "break-in" and not feel as firm as what you experienced. In the meantime, our team has begun offering additional pillow-type type padding when guests mention this to us.

Thank you again for your review, and please let me know if there is anything we can do to assist you in the future.

Kind Regards,

Dan Sirrine
Director of Operations
Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Tinley Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The family and I stayed at the Griffin Gate Resort during Fourth of July 2012. The rates were reasonable, the property had a lot of nice amenities. The staff was very friendly, and it showed from large gestures to small: showing us two different rooms and let us pick which one we felt best accommodated the four of us, to sharing the best place to watch the fireworks. The gesture for which I'm most grateful? When I forgot some items of clothing in the closet, and they shipped them back to me - without charging me for my mistake.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!