“Great Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Traverse City, Michigan
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Stayed there March 30, 2012. Picked up room online while on the road approaching Lexington from the south. Wes at the front desk made adjustment in rooms to get them side by side and also made a Pizza place recommendation that was on target. Even offered me, a non Kentucky basketball fan, a spot on the roof! I like a little humor in folks.

Thanks Hyatt.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Larry B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Lexington, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Glad that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and to Lexington, Kentucky the "heart of college basketball." We will pass on your nice comments about the service from Wes at our Front Desk. We are sure he will enjoy them.

Come back and visit us again soon.

Larry Bell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Saint Augustine, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Let me start by stating that I am "NOT" the type of traveler who looks to stay in the finer hotels as if budget was not an issue and that this business trip of mine is what landed me at this particular Hyatt (at a discounted rate). However, I am VERY glad that I stayed here and can honestly say that it was a pleasant surprise. Upon arrival at the local airport, I was immediately picked up by the complimentary shuttle from the hotel. Once there, I was greeted with nothing but warm smiles and the kind of southern hospitality you seldom experience except from watching the movies. The bellhops are very eager to please the guests and are not doing it for tips (even though it just feels wrong not to tip them for a job well done; so I did).

My room was best described in three words: "immaculately clean" and "spacious." I had a king sized bed that was *supremely* comfortable with down pillows and a down cover. The room also boasted a double door closet with room safe and the usuals, a separated full-size bathroom, and a full wall that separated the bathroom and room entry from the rest of the room where the bed was, etc. There was a full dresser, a mini-fridge elegantly hidden inside the dresser, a business desk perfect for working on, and even a comfortable lounge chair to sit by the window and watch the world below (I was on the 7th floor).

Although slightly on the high priced side, the hotel's restaurant and bar was a nice touch for when I didn't feel like venturing out for dinner. There was an indoor/heated pool and decent sized workout room (the workout room was not particularly fancy persay, but it was definitely adequate). Additionally, the hotel is actually attached to a mini-mall with food court (4 restaurants) as well as the Rupp Arena (ideal for attending sport venues).

I stayed for 6 days and must say that the level of daily cleaning and expedience in which the staff worked was second to none. For my room at least, the level of service rivaled that of what I've experienced on cruise lines, and I never actually saw anyone changing the linens during each day! Whether it appeared that I needed them or not, I was given a daily resupply of the bathroom essentials (towels, etc.), but also shampoo, conditioner, "full' soap bar, "AND" a fresh tube of toothpaste- nice touch on their part.

The check-in kiosk hosted daily fresh peanut butter & chocolate chip cookies, and if you timed it right they were still warm from the oven (mmm-mmm). If I had to think of anythng that "might" be considered marginal for this area, it would be that having a car is highly recommended. There are limited restaurants nearby in the downtown area, but that is because the hotel is "in" downtown Lexington. However, a quick walk of not even 8 or 9 city blocks brings you to the outskirts of the University of Kentucky. From there you have a TON of restaurants to choose from!! The usual shopping malls, movie theaters, and local stores (Walmart, Target, groceries, etc.) are not within walking distance which is why I suggest having a car. I took a taxi cab to the Walmart once which cost me about $23.00 roundtrip (ouch).

That being said, there is a lot of history to Lexington and walking around the downtown area actually yields some unexpected history lessons. An example of this was a sign educating passerby's of the old slave whipping post that once stood at the City Hall building. It makes you stand back and study the building's architect as you're picturing the past. I have no idea what the surrounding hotels cost or even what the full cost of the Hyatt would be, but I can now personally vouch that it's worth the cost and then some!

Room Tip: Splurge for the King size bed- you won't regret it!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your thoughtful and comprehensive review of our hotel. We appreciate the comments you made on the extras in our guestrooms including the laptop safes, the room workstations including desks with ergonomic chairs, the mini fridges in the credenza, the iHome Radio's and Flat Panel Televisions with HD programming.

As you noted we are located in the heart of downtown and a short walk from the campus of the University of Kentucky. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Durants Neck, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

This hotel is right in the middle of downtown and fronts on the central square in Lexington. Close to shops and restaurants - all within walking distance. UK campus is not very far away and also is within walking distance.
But I ask one question - why do upscale hotels feel compelled to charge for internet service and parking? I stayed the night before in a Country Inn and Suites where the room was larger, free internet, free parking and free breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Lexington, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for the positive review of the service and the location of our hotel. As you comment in your notes, our hotel is very convenient to the University of Kentucky campus. The Hyatt is a short walk from the main campus and we are also just minutes from Keeneland Race Course, which is a shrine to thoroughbred racing in our country. In fact, many of the scenes from the recent movies on horse racing have been filmed in Central Kentucky.

Henderson, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Just back from a weekend at the Lexington Hyatt. We were last minute travelers and booked the room thru online hotel discount site. We got a great rate. The room overlooked Victorian Square and provided a wonderful view, great bed, and newly remodeled decor. They do a good job of keeping the property in great shape. The parking is free at adjoining Rupp Arena parking lot. There is a restaurant in the lobby and a bar. The floors have no snack machines and a small sundry store on the lobby floor closes at 6pm. This leaves a feeling of entrapment at night ... keep this in mind. A late night sweet tooth can get pricey at restaurant, and it is a long walk to any kind of convenience shop. The room was great, The location for walks in Lexington's downtown ... perfect.
Wifi is extra in the room. I fail to understand the benefit of this inconvenience to its patrons, but it is a common practice in most Hotels of this class.
I think the Lexington Hyatt is a very comfortable place to sleep and a place to trust for cleanliness and service.

Room Tip: rooms facing North have the best view. 10th floor rooms are newly remodeled.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review of our hotel. As you noted, many of our rooms overlook Triangle Park and Victorian Square. These park view rooms are very popular with our guests, as the fountains are beautifully illuminated at night.

The Hyatt is well situated to downtown Lexington's growing nightlife and eclectic collection of white tablecloth restaurants. The hotel is just blocks from the farmer's market and the plaza where Thursday Night Live is held all summer.

We look forward to serving you again soon.
Lexington KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Reserved a Respire room approx. 6 weeks before our arrival. Stated on reservation there would be 4 people. We were traveling to attend an academic event (with aoprox. 1000 pre-teens/teens in attendance) with our pre-teen. When we arrived at approx. 830pm, very pleasant check in service. No mention of any problems with our reservation. We get inside our very small room and only one bed (for four people). I called the front desk and they placed the manager on duty on the phone. They stated they were sold out and couldn't move me, but would send up a roll away bed (or call another hotel, great service for this Hyatt Awards/Loyalty Card member). I am paying $180 a night for a roll away bed? But not just any roll away bed, a rental roll away bed. I had no idea, nor did the staff where this bed had been used. With the increased episodes of bed bugs, this really put us on guard. Plus I had booked a respire allergy free room and they are bringing in a roll away bed from who knows where? Once the roll away bed arrived (45 minutes after calling front desk) was opened up, you literally had about a foot to walk around the furniture in the room and could not get to the window. We spent the night 3 people in the king bed and one on the rollaway. Best thing about the room is the programable safe in the closet. Had the breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant in the am, great food, but if you get a beverage not on the buffet, good luck getting a refill. Had dinner in the same restaurant that evening arriving around 730pm. Service was extremely slow. We got our food an hour after arriving. Food over cooked,cold, and tasted poorly. Ordered dessert at 850pm, still had not received it at 935pm. Our server was NO where to be found. I finally went up to the bar and asked for my check to leave. The manager disappeared, after about 5 minutes came back with the desserts to go (if he would have explained where he was going instead of just leaving me stand there it would have been appreciated). He gave us our two desserts complimentary. Our bill was still almost $70, with out this on there. Took the desserts back up to our room and set the bag on our bed, found an ant by the food. When we received our check out statement the next morning, our room had been discounted, was a nice gesture, but did not make up for having a roll away bed. The event we were attending will not be held there for the next three years (moving to Galt House in Lousiville), very glad. This facility does not handle events with large numbers of kids very well. Does not have many rooms with two beds (wish I would have known when booking). Internet access is an additional $10 per day also.
I have several upcoming reservations with Hyatt and am almost afraid to keep them. If service from this experience continues at other Hyatt's, I am done with their loyalty program.

Room Tip: Verify how many beds you will have when making reservation, get it in writing! Don't eat in the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Larry B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Lexington, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a detailed review of our hotel. Obviously, we failed to provide your family with the appropriate accommodations that you had expected. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you encountered. Based on the vast majority of reviews on this website, your experience is the exception and not the rule.

However, be assured that we take feedback from guest reviews very seriously and we will share your experience with our team to make improvements.

Finally, please contact me at the hotel directly so we can do our best to correct our errors and make it right. We apologize for letting you down.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We recently stay at The Hyatt for 5 days. The beds were awesome, we are now redoing ours at home. Food was good and reasonably priced.Service was excellent. Fitness room is good. Location was awesome. Beware of long distance phone calls. They tried to charge me $2.40 a minute for a call to Canada. Seeing as it costs me $0.04 a min. to call the US from home, I would have to call that "extreme overcharging".

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Lexington, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
We are very glad that your experience at our hotel during your recent stay was excellent. The foundation of our "Grand Bed" is a posture-pedic pillow top mattress; good luck on putting together your own Hyatt at home.

Finally, feel free to contact me at the hotel. If there has been an error on your bill I would be more than happy to research it and correct it if warranted.

OWINGSVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We booked this room to saty in after a concert. I wasn't really expecting to get this type of comfort. The beds are amazing, the pillows were great. For the first time, I slept more comfortably in a hotel than in my own bed(a tempurpedic). I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of our hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we know you loved the convenience of being steps away from your concert seats at Rupp Arena.

We also appreciate your comments on getting a great night's sleep after the show. All our rooms feature Hyatt's "Grand Bed" with pillow top mattress sets, high-end down comforters, double pillows and luxurious high thread count sheets.

We will look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

Larry Bell

Been to Hyatt Regency Lexington? Share your experiences!