“Hidden gem - great meal.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #386 of 789 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Korean
United States
“Hidden gem - great meal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was one of those times where you take a chance on a place you've never seen nor heard of and it pans out. We tried this one simply because we had been out all day and happened to somehow end up making one last stop in Woodhill, then realize we were actually kind of hungry. I'm no snob, but Woodhill is not typically the first area that springs to mind when someone mentions eating great food.
However.
While Koreana is certainly not going to win any awards for decor, it was packed - and packed by people speaking native Korean tongue. There was also a small group of people who seem to be regulars, based on the friendly banter with the manager(/owner?) and waitstaff. When I witness either of these two things I feel more secure in my choice, and seeing both at Koreana was great. I don't think I would take unadventurous loved ones to Koreana (this was discussed at our dinner table while enjoying our food), but it's a nice little out of the way spot with good food. I love that these exist all over Lexington.
I can't speak in depth about Korean food and I have little frame of reference. That said, the food was delicious. I had the Hae Mul Pa Jeon - Korean pancakes with vegetables or a meat of your choice. They were wonderful. I also tried the Nak Ji Bok Eum - fried octopus and vegetables - ordered by someone I was dining with, and it was even better than what I ordered!
We were also served the obligatory soup and salad, perfect little portions that nearly always fill me up and cause me to eat only half my entree. Though I've had better at other similar restaurants, I was quite pleased with the soup and salad at Koreana.
Overall, a nice place I may not "frequent" but my first visit will not be my last. Taking a chance on a place I've never heard of paid off this time!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Columbus, Ohio
“Great Korean Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Delicious food and great service. Not a fancy place, just really good food. I have been there twice and I am addicted! The owner served me, she was so nice and I haven't had a bad dish here.

• Visited August 2012
Versailles, Kentucky
“Best Korean food in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Very authentic Korean food (yes, I've spent time in Korea) at very affordable prices. The owner and her daughter are very helpful in selecting food. Far more Asian customers that Americans, which is a very good sign.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chardon, Ohio, United States
“I stop here everytime I'm in Lexington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

When I think of Lexington, I think of their great Bourbon Barrell Ale but if I only have one meal to eat when I'm in town for business, it's this restaurant.

Great, great, authentic Korean food from a chef who apparently was very successful for years in New York City before moving out to Kentucky.

The atmosphere is understated, nothing fancy at all. Don't let that dissuade you. Great authentic Korean food.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Winchester, Kentucky
“My Favorite Place in Lexington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I eat only one dish here because I have an addiction for it: dolsot bibimbop

Comes out sizzling in a pot....rice, carrots, bean sprouts, cukes, topped with a fried egg. You add the special sauce and stir it up while the rice gets crispy.

Also, the fried rice is outstanding...anything is a good choice at this small, neighborhood authentic Korean restaurant.

• Visited September 2011