“SERVICE MATTERS” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #119 of 789 Restaurants in Lexington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Monday - Thursday: 11:15 AM - 10:00 PM Friday: 11:15 AM - 10:30 PM Saturday: 10:00 AM - 10:30 PM Sunday: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
PORTLAND,OR
“SERVICE MATTERS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

On October 19, 2013 we made our annual Fall Meet visit to Sal's with friends from out of state. We always take them to Sal's because we are guaranteed a good meal. Our 6:30 p.m. reservation got us in ahead of the Keeneland crowd and as we walked in I noticed that "my" table was open. I asked RJ/JR, the manager, if we could have that table. Without pause, he said yes and asked us to wait for it to be prepared...not a problem since I was getting "my" table.

The dining room was packed as usual yet, our waiter, Angel, was prompt, friendly and available. Meals were fine except the sea bass sat in the skillet a minute too long and was overly crisp, even brown. We asked RJ for help and without hesitation, it was fixed. No question. Period. Our guests were very impressed and made a point of telling us how unusual this was back home.

We had a delightful evening with great service...and it matters so kudos to RJ, Angel and the entire Sal's team.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bowling Green, Kentucky
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a party of 10 people, but our servers said it was no problem to have three separate checks and assured us they has a system to keep it straight. Then it took around 45 minutes to get the checks straightened out at the end of the evening, with us having to track down our servers more than once. The food at our table ranged from below average to wonderful, depending on what was ordered, and the management gave us a gift card due to our long wait and struggle to obtain corrected checks. Those are the only reasons I'm giving this 3 stars to this restaurant. The atmosphere was great if you had a booth, but the tables in the back for larger parties were very close together and if someone was sitting behind you, space was extremely limited and it was almost impossible to get up. This was a special occasion and we had a disappointing evening.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, Kentucky
“Could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Our first time dining here and I was disappointed. The dinner rolls were warm and tasty. My son ordered the baby back ribs served over thin fried potatoes. The entree included a lettuce wedge salad. Satisfactory but nothing special. I had the Caprese salad, slices of ripe tomatoes and mozzarella with pesto sauce. Very tasty but too much sauce, a drizzle of pesto would have sufficed. The rock shrimp risotto in a creamy lobster sauce arrived quickly. The dish had lots of shrimp but unfortunately the risotto was mushy and very bland. My husband had the fettuccine Alfredo with rock shrimp, a little heavy on the cream, but the pasta was perfectly cooked al dente. Two desserts were excellent: giant warm chocolate chip cookie with vanilla ice-cream and peach/blueberry cobbler. The Tiramisu was a disappointment. Not the right flavor or texture. Not light and airy like it should be, but very dense. The mascarpone layer instead of being smooth and creamy was very thick and grainy. Slight coffee flavor should be detected, but was completely absent. Will we go back? Yes but only to try something else. Staff was friendly and attentive yet visibly rushed at times. Not a cheap place to eat!

Visited September 2013
Odense, Denmark
“Americanised italian kitchen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The place served some of the best appetizer breads, and the food was excellent too. Location and interior however could have been more intimate, however it is not too intimidating either. Sal's Chop house is very suitable for business dinners.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, Kentucky
“Awesome food...wait staff are constantly in your face!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We recently decided to dine here, after enjoying other BGH establishments. Reservations are recommended, but were unattainable on-line, so we called. Our reservation was at 7:30pm on a Sat. night. We arrived a few minutes early but were seated right away. The restaurant was not crowded. Moments after being seated a young man appeared to fill the water glasses and take our drink order. There is an extensive wine & specialty cocktail menu, so we asked to be given a few minutes. He no more walked away when our server arrived with the same question. We gave the same answer. He returned a few minutes later, took our drink order, pointed out where the specials are located in menu. Moments later a different young man arrived with rolls & butter. We finally chose from the menu and placed our order.

Both entrees came with a dinner salad. We each made the long hike to the restroom to wash our hands before eating. The restrooms are at the very end of Harry's Bar area. We were nearly run over 3 times by the same server with drinks in her hands, never saying excuse me. There were no more than 10 patrons in the bar...what was her rush? Upon return to our table our salads had arrived. We unwrapped the rolls and began to enjoy the Caesar salads and delicious rolls. I put my fork down to have a drink of water and a young man stepped up and asked to take my plate...seriously I had only taken 2 bites. I told him I was still eating. This happened a second time as well. Before half finishing our salads our dinner arrived. The table was small and there was not enough room for all the dishes. Once again they tried to take our salads before we finished. At this point we decided a relaxing dinner is totally out of the question. I suppose if they were more busy they would not have been in our face so often. Each time we put our forks down, someone was there to take our still full plates, so we held them up in one hand while using the other to take a drink. As you can see this severely damaged our view of the service here.

However, the food was absolutely wonderful!! The Chef here is a creative genius! The food portion, quality, and taste is why we give this restaurant 4 stars. I doubt we will return due to the fact we do not like to feel rushed when we eat. I had heartburn and it wasn't caused by the filet mignon ... This was totally melt in your mouth delicious, which is why we did not want to give it up until we were finished. We also enjoyed the Ky Hot Brown flatbread as an appetizer as well as the fried green tomatoes. Each item was a good sized portion and delicious.

If you don't mind feeling rushed, pushed, shoved, or knocked down you may enjoy Sal's. the food is wonderful but the in-your-face service personnel will keep us away. Our check before tax & tip was approximately $75.

Visited August 2013