“More than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Huntington, West Virginia, United States
“More than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

In lex for a conference. Have my favorites here but wanted to branch out. Read the reviews and checked the menu. Was expecting good but it was exceptional (maybe not the celery soup). Good wine list fairly priced. Beet salad very interesting and good. Polenta cooked perfectly which is difficult. Short ribs cooked to fall off the bone. Wait staff attentive but not annoying. If you have a diverse palette this will impress.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
Lexington, Kentucky
“character and quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

it's too loud, the waiters are too surly, but the food is great and worth the steep price. lucie has been in the business for as long as i have been in town. she does a wonderful and predictable job.

Connecticut
“Interesting choices, grear service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

First, the wait staff was among the best that I've had: attentive, sociable, but not pushy.

I had the rabbit, my son had the Mahi Mahi with Moroccan spices, and my wife had the Chicken Cordon Bleu. Well prepared, dishes.

The art work, table lamps, etc, create a unique atmosphere.

Well stocked bar.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
United States
“A Lexington Staple. Fabulous.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I adore A la lucie. A great date night restaurant with romantic lighting, delicious food, cozy seating, great service. Every dish is splendid, and it's easy to see why this restaurant has been in business for so long. My favorite dish has always been the fois gras, but every starter, salad, entree, etc I've ever been served at lucie's has been a hit. One of my favorite - if not VERY favorite - special occasion places to dine in Lexington. You're certain to leave with a blissful feeling.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Westport, Connecticut
“Interesting decor!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I went to A La Lucie for lunch on a weekday with a friend who is from Lexington. She had not been to the restaurant in a while but told me it was unique and different from the run of the mill chain places.

She was right..... the restaurant is small with a decor that reminded me of old New Orleans with dim lighting from beaded lamp shades, leopard fabric covered booths, and rugs imitating zebra hide. Two huge paintings of nude ladies are hung on one wall - my friend says it is rumored that they are paintings of the owner in her younger days??!!! Bravo to the lady!!

We were seated in a booth that was very comfortable and right away were given menus and a list of the daily specials - which included a surprising number of seafood offerings. We also ordered white wine which was reasonably priced and served at just the right temperature. I had a daily special of grilled scallops and fresh melon on spinach and my friend ordered grilled fish.

My scallops were more sauteed than grilled - there were no grilling marks or crusty outer coating on them but they seemed cooked enough, fresh and flavorable. The melon was basically tasteless - clearly out of season but the spinach was fresh and the dressing delightful. My friend did not get grilled fish - it was fried instead but due to our time constraints, she declined to send it back when they offered to bring her another meal. She said the fish was tasty once she removed the fried crust. We did not have dessert or coffee.

I am not sure I would go back to A La Lucie again for a while...... but it was definitely worth going once to see the decor and to have a non-chain restaurant meal.

The parking is also not easy...... we had to make several passes around the restaurant to find a parking spot and still ended up walking a couple of blocks after parking using one of those machines that takes your cash if you put it in...... only works if you use a debit or credit card!!

• Visited March 2013