“Overrated and Overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Portofino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 771 Restaurants in Lexington
Cross street: Quality
Chania Town, Greece
“Overrated and Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

My husband and I choose this restaurant to celebrate our anniversary based on the reviews on this website, and it was no where near as great as the other reviewers stated. When I made the reservation I asked for a quiet table and said that it was our anniversary and we wanted a romantic dinner. When we arrived (on a Tuesday night at 6:45) there didn't seem to be any one else in the restaurant, and the hostess seated us at the very first booth as you walk in. It was right next to the bar, which had a huge television tuned to Headline News, not what you would expect from an upscale restaurant. We thought it would be okay since it was not busy, but soon the place filled up and my husband and I had to lean over the oversized booth just to hear each other talk. I would never suggest this place for a quiet or romantic dinner.

Our waiter was friendly, but as far as service a little less than average. The food was Italian in name only, instead of a crusty Italian bread we were served a side plate with four small slices of stale chewy bread with an unimaginative plate of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The salads were very good, even though I was served a black cherry tomato. I enjoyed my ravioli with sage butter, but I thought the portions were a little meager. Probably the worst thing was the overpriced wine, about the cheapest crap I've ever had.

Overall, quite a disappointment. The food was pretty good, nothing outstanding and not authentic Italian though. Definately not worth $80+ for a dinner for two.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“nice ambiance. minestrone soup a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2007

nice ambiance. minestrone soup a disappointment

Lexington, Kentucky
“One of my favorite places”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

Portofino's has the most absolutely amazing Italian food, and incomparable service. My husband and I come here whenever we have something big to celebrate, and Portofino's chefs almost always have something new on the menu, which is nice -- for example, for graduation, they had a special dish just for the weekend.

The last time we were there, there was a miniscule error with something, and the management went out of their way to please us, including a personal letter from the manager and a gift certificate for next time. You can bet we'll be returning -- it's a fantastic place.

Plainville, MA
“A Definite A List Establishment!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

A hidden gem in Lexington. Nice ambience, awesome bruschetta! Excllent food and service. Highly recommend.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Happy Hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2005

Eat here and enjoy a meal of a life time. The chef here realy nows his stuff. Each dish was more mouth watering then the one before. Try the portobello mushurooms they were outstanding. The fish was excellent. Three cheers for this place.