“99% Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pizza
Lutherville, Maryland
“99% Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Decided to patronize Smashing Tomato based on Trip Advisor reviews, and was looking for an alternative to Joe Bologna's and Mellow Mushroom (been there, eaten that). We got an order of sheet music bread, an Italiano (with Neapolitano sauce), a Margherita (with Smashed sauce - paid extra for olives) and two beers (IPA 6 and Samuel Adams).

This is a self-seat establishment and they buzz you when your food is ready. The pizza was slightly under-done (cooks in a 1000 degree oven for only 90 seconds, we were told), but the crust was good. The IPA 6 beer was awful (it is brewed in Lexington) and is the first beer I have not find in my adult life (not the restaurant's fault). The margherita pizza did not come with the olives I paid for, but this oversight was compensated by the A-one, top notch service we received - the bus boys brought us pizza boxes for left overs (with wax paper already inside) and they were efficient and extremely polite. One of them even helped us work our way through the menu, as it was obviously our first time visiting when we arrived.

One complaint - the sheet music bread arrived after our pizza and I am not sure that it really had any flavor. I would not order it again.

I typically hammer restaurants that botch my order, but the oversight on the olives on my pizza ($1) was easily erased by the excellent service and good food. The ambiance was also great - not too loud, not too crowded, and very friendly service. If tipping were an option, I'd have no problem leaving 25%.

Next time I am back in Lexington, KY I will make an effort to stop in Smashing Tomato.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Owensboro, Kentucky
“Smashingly good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Fun place for families to get great wood fired pizza quickly. Very good: artichoke dip appetizer, calzone ( huge), all pizzas were great but the four cheese was excellent!

Visited July 2013
“Good bite after a day driving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

A good spot for pizza and salad not far from hotels at I-64/I-77 on east side of Lexington. Clean, quick service. Panera-esque atmosphere, but with sounds of Sinatra. Large portion salads. Nice sweet vinaigrette on chopped; Caesar salad a bit over-dressed. Flat bread delicious. Four cheese and Marguerite pizzas tasty and "wet" (heavy on olive oil) as advertised. "Smashed" sauce had a little, welcome kick. Basic beer and wine selection to wash it down.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Markham, Canada
“Classy old school Italian pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Fresh, good quality ingredients. Price is good and I like the 800 degree oven concept. The caesar salad is huge and good value. Kids night is Mondays.

Visited June 2013
North Carolina
“One time there but I liked it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Was a nice clean restaurant....stromboli was good...the sauce was spicier than I expected but still good! The Staff was Friendly as well.

Visited April 2013