“Interesting Menu and Quirky/Fun Decour” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, International, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oakton, Virginia, United States
“Interesting Menu and Quirky/Fun Decour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Menu is extensive, but we were in comfort food mode so ordered breakfast for dinner as they serve breakfast food all day long:) I had one of the best bloody marys ever and a southern twist to eggs benedict. It was poached eggs on biscuits with a sausage gravy. My daughter ordered chocolate chip pancakes. So nothing exceptionally challenging, but very tasty and loved that it was available at dinner time. Very victorian decour, and informal seating as well as table seating, so you can lounge on a settee while eating. Service was good. Happy with our experience, would eat there again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Allison B, Director of Sales at Shakespeare and Co, responded to this review, September 26, 2014
Kathy,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I am so glad you enjoyed your breakfast for dinner! Please join us again and come try more great menu items!

Alliance, Ohio
“Nice drinks and dessert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

A friend and I visited for late-night drinks and dessert, and we weren't disappointed. Our server, Chelsea, was absolutely wonderful, polite, and helpful. We had a few drinks off of the menu and dessert (carrot cake and ice cream) and all were good, though the mint juleps we ordered were a bit too sweet for our taste. The wicker furniture outside was extremely comfortable and great on a beautiful night.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you Phil for your lovely review. So glad to hear about your experience and it was to your liking. I will make sure are bartenders are fixing the mint juleps correctly! Please join us again!
rockland county, ny
“Amazing looking place. Food? Meh.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My husband and I went looking for dinner this Friday night in Lexington. Shakespeare and Co looked very fun--sort of like the restaurants that were Victorian to the max back in the 60's and 70's--always a nudge and a wink, and you left smiling, and full of wine and steak.

I have to say the service was very good despite a Friday night crowd, and the seats were comfortable. The decor was just a hoot--really dug that. And the zaatar mix presented with the bread was (of course) nice. But the menu is basically what you'd find at a diner trying to cover all the bases in the NY area, and while for that the prices weren't really out of line, the food was just, well, not so great.

Calamari (a frequent failing of ours) was OK, not great. My spicy chicken salad over greens was three chunks of cold, overcooked chicken breasts over some nice, fresh greens and a decent salad dressing. My husband HATED his pasta bolognese. I tasted it and didn't find it as awful as he did, but it wasn't inspired, to put it mildly. Pasta bolognese is supposed to be comfort food, and to have a fair amount of ground beef in it, and some garlic and fresh herbs and...warmth. This was just bland.

We watched lots of Lexington younglings walk in and out of the place, happy as clams. I think it's a lovely place to sit and have a drink. Breakfast might be OK. But I'd avoid it for lunch or dinner.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Allison B, Director of Sales at Shakespeare and Co, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Thank you so much for your review. I have just written another response to someone who was not thrilled with our bolognaise pasta either, unfortunately. I am giving word to the kitchen staff to try and fix the dissatisfaction on this dish. I apologize your food experience was not to your liking. I hope that you will return to our lovely restaurant and try something different. Please let our management know about your previous experience as well.
“Don't bother.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My wife and I ate at S and Co this evening. I ordered spaghetti bolognese, a big fave of mine, and something I figured no one could mess up. It was totally inedible. No, really, I did not eat it. We had the Calamari appetizer which was ok, but nothing special. My wife had an indifferent salad. I left hungry and stopped by Frisch's Big Boy figuring I'd get a Big Boy to take back to our hotel room. Honestly, I've encountered some bad meals in my time, but never so bad that I couldn't choke them down.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kenneth,
I am so sorry to hear about your experience. Our pastas are something I am prideful talking about. I have brought this to the kitchen's attention. I hope you would return and try us once again. If and when you do please let the management know of this previous experience and we will try to love on your taste buds, not hurt them. We appreciate your review so we can make the necessary arrangements to be better.
Thank you.
Lexington, Kentucky
“I Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I travel a lot for business and while I like Red Lobster and Outback Steak and other chains I really search for unique restaurants that offer something other than just another "chain restaurant" feel. This place is so very unique from its Bohemian Chic decor to the wide variety of offerings on the menu. I ordered the Prawn and Avocado sandwich and I liked it so much that I keep ordering that same thing each time I go back. My friends ordered other things and they loved their meals as well. The price is not cheap but well worth it for such a wonderful experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks Brenda!
I adore the prawn and avocado sandwich so much as well! I am so glad you are a happy returning customer and I hope we continue to give you our unique dining experience!