“Tasty place to grab lunch; quick Palestinian downtown” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Israeli
Lexington, KY
“Tasty place to grab lunch; quick Palestinian downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've eaten lunch here twice. The first time was a few days after they opened, and though tasty, they were still finding their footing.

Today I ate lunch here again. I ordered Steak Schwarma platter, with falafel and salat on the side. The schwarma was very good--tender, juicy, and full-flavored. One of the better schwarmas in town. The falafel was great; bell-shaped and cooked perfectly. The owner came out to greet me, and offered some garlic puree to go with the meal--powerful stuff, but a great compliment.

There are lots of places to grab an $8 lunch in or near downtown where I work. I'm glad to have Happy Falafel nearby. This is not fancy, but more of a little family-run joint. It adds an additional element of variety. I'd love to see them add a specifically Palestinian dish or two to the menu. I'll be back!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

% Recommend
Lexington
“Unhappy Falafel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I bought a Groupon for Happy Falafel because it is in my neighborhood and I generally love Mediterranean food. I tried to use it a few times, but they were always closed, including the day before the Groupon expired when they closed early. I came the next day with a co-worker and they refused to honor the Groupon. That annoyed me enough to write this review. As it turns out, I definitely would not have gone back anyway, which is a shame because I live and work in the area. The service was friendly (other than the obnoxious owner), but very slow, especially given that there was only one other person in the restaurant ahead of us. I ordered a lunch platter and it was over $10 for a relatively small portion. The lamb was overcooked. There was nothing special (and that is being polite) about the rice, falafel, humus or baklava. No ambiance whatsoever. If you like Mediterranean and you live in Lexington, it is worth the trip to go to Sahara (recently ranked in the top 100 restaurants in the ENTIRE COUNTRY). The food is ten times better for literally half of the price and bigger portions. I will NOT be going back to Unhappy Falafel and I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, Kentucky
“Nothing special - Poor Service and Food quality average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Very average and food quality suffered due to the limited seating and crowd. It is more of a "to go" location. Has very limited parking and is not central to the downtown.

• Visited May 2012