“Make the detour...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Make the detour...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

My hubby and I took the detour off the interstate to find this place. It was well worth it! We had the little dog with us so I waited outside and played with the horses while he went inside to order up for us. There are no tables outside but the guys inside said they would bring up a truck and drop the tailgate for us! Can you imagine!!! How cool is that for customer service? Anyway, we had the baby back ribs. Probably the best I have ever had and slathered with the perfect sauce. Baked beans, slaw, both good. I would be here at least once a week if I didn't live in FL. It isn't a fancy place and it shares a property with a motel that probably won't show up on trip advisor. Don't let that deter you. This place deserves a stop if you are in the area. It is a very quick ride off the hwy.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good BBQ for a good price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

When we stopped for dinner the place was packed. While we waited for a table we were asked if we'd like a drink. That was awesome service. It wasn't long before we were seated and ordering dinner. The BBQ was very good, we ordered the brisket and 4 different sides between the two of us and no complaints here, it was all good! Only thing was they ran out of cornbread. We'll be back!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, VA
“You may miss this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Red State is set in front of a nondescript motel in a worn out building off the highway out of Lexington north to Georgetown. You will miss it if someone has not given you directions. The owners have a vision to serve the best barbeque in the area and they are clearly on the right track. Beef, pork and chicken are carefully smoked with the choice of sauce (4 kinds) up to the customer. A limited, but delicious, menu of sides to complement the meat is available. Limited beer menu. Table service on weekends but stand in line to order throughout the week. Simple surroundings with about 12 tables. The ribs don't come out of the oven until noon so plan accordingly. Very good value for excellent barbeque.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Ga
“Great brisket”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

I had the brisket, it was a huge serving. He had pulled pork. Good corn pudding. Choice of 4 different sauces. Out of way to get there but worth the trip
Thanks tripadvisor for the suggestion

Visited April 2014
Oak Island
“Happy, happy, happy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Just had an amazing lunch at Red State BBQ and, as usual, I was not disappointed. From the outside, it looks like a typical roadside joint but it is such a cool place! Oh my goodness, the Frickles...fried pickles...were amazing! The ribs were so flavorful, I didn't even use the sauces, which are really good by the way, and there are five to choose from. As for the sides, my favorites are the Mac n cheese and the baked beans but my friend's corn pudding and beer cheese grits were also great. I would go back to Red State any day. It's a perfect spot to take out of town guests and show them a little real local flavor!