“Beer-Cheese-Grits .... Really ? YES, REALLY!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 789 Restaurants in Lexington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Barbecue
Phoenix
“Beer-Cheese-Grits .... Really ? YES, REALLY!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

A small (used to be the office) building in front of an OLD road-side motel - not your usual indication of a great BBQ stop, but it's worth the stop! We were craving BBQ so a quick Google search showed this one not far off I-75, so we checked it out.

Beer Cheese Grits are 1 of the side items ..... I was thinking grits, made with beer + cheese, that sounds interesting ... But NO! that's not REALLY what Beer Cheese Grits are, technically.

Beer-Cheese is apparently a KY specialty, and the owner of this restaurant makes his own Beer-Cheese, then adds it to grits. They are REALLY good. I like grits anyway, but the interesting thing is the restaurant owner does NOT - except when he adds his homemade Beer-Cheese!

The BBQ was good too - they were sold out of the sliced brisket by the time we got there at 5PM, but the ribs were good. He makes 3 different sauces too - Memphis Sweet, Texas Spicy and Carolina Mustard - all very tasty.

Yes, we'll be puttin' THIS BBQ joint on our Lexington gotta-do list :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Georgetown, Kentucky
“Get the sweet sauce”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Best BBQ I have ever had!! The sauce is so sweet, I love it! I always get the pulled pork sandwich and a side of mac and cheese. The mac and cheese is just as good as the BBQ!! I don't know what they put in the Mac and cheese but it is so thick and buttery, I love it!!! My only complaint is that the sides need to be bigger. The portions on the sides are like two bites worth of food...but those two bites are really delicious!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Frankfort, Kentucky, United States
“Wonderful food!!! Including the sides!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The first time I ate food from Red State BBQ was at a lunch that was catered at my work place. It was the best BBQ I have had in a long time! I was also impressed that the side dishes were really tasty. I have come from a long line of wonderful cooks and it takes a lot to impress me, but this is one of my favorite places to eat. Also, we were treated very well by our waitress. She continued to check on us and was very friendly.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lexington
“Eat Here! You won't regret it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The family met up for lunch on a Friday. Restaurant was busy, which is always a good sign. This was my second visit & the food was just as great as the first time. Family started with chicken nachos. I had the pulled pork platter. Meat was smoked just right & the Memphis sweet bbq sauce was just to my liking. All the meals we had were good. Ribs, pulled chicken sandwich, chopped beef sandwich, and half chicken meal. You have to try the corn pudding and make sure you save room for dessert. Peach bread pudding and bourbon vanilla ice cream were so wonderful. Restaurant doesn't look like much on the outside but once you get inside you will not be disappointed. Service was excellent. Because it was busy we had to go to the counter & order but lady at the front got our drinks and food was delivered with gusto. Limited parking but it its busy - find a place somewhere & go in to eat. You won't regret it!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Frankfort, KY
“Can't rate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'd really like to be able to describe the food at this establishment. However, when my wife and I visited on 7/4/13 the lady working the counter was so rude and irritable to the guests in front of us that we turned around and left.