“Family Fun on older property” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1950 Newtown Pike, Lexington, KY 40511 (Formerly Holiday Inn Lexington North)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #26 of 64 Hotels in Lexington
EggbertsMom
“Family Fun on older property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Two nights in a room off the convention wing. The property is older which results in rooms only slightly dated - not enough plugs, no bathroom fan. Our fridge was the coldest I've ever found in a hotel but had to be unplugged to use the microwave. Memory foam mattress was amazing with clean white linens but pillows as small and lumpy with no extra blanket in closet. A/C works well but is LOUD.

Pool and indoor rec area was well maintained, huge and is the reason to stay here. My son was thrilled to get to swim and as it is open til midnight, I don't have to tell him no because we go to dinner. Lots of swim towels available and not over chlorinated!! Loved the staff - both at the desk, management and facilities.

Skip the free breakfast onsite - poor quality food, no bacon for my son and I had to pay $3 for a glass of choc milk. Waffles were soggy and the biscuts were hocky pucks.

Room Tip: pet friendly
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Clarionlex, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for choosing Clarion Hotel. I am happy to hear that your son enjoyed the FunDome area and all it had to offer. It truly is a great place for a weekend getaway. I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the free hot breakfast buffet. We try to offer something for everyone and vary the options throughout the week which include but is not limited to eggs, biscuit and gravy, hashbrowns, bagels, cold cereal, oatmeal, and of course the waffle station. And since the waffle station is self serve you can cook your waffle to your desired consistency. We also offer a full breakfast menu where you can order anything you desire at a very reasonable price.
I hope that you will consider staying with us again in the near future.

Geneal Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We had a terrible experience at this hotel. Our 1st room was supposedly nonsmoking, but smelled terribly of smoke so we asked to switch rooms. Our 2nd room was OK, but very hard to get to. This hotel is like a maze under construction. The elevators aren't working and almost everywhere there is construction. The rooms are so so. The bathroom is tiny and hadn't been renovated and the rooms have been cheaply renovated. I am not usually picky about hotels, but this one sucks. After breakfast our key card wouldn't open our door. So we had to go across the hotel to the lobby and found out it was never activated. How annoying. The 1 star I gave this hotel is for the breakfast. It was very good. Oh and when we complained the front desk didn't offer us anything for our problems.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Clarionlex, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. We pride ourselves on providing great service, a good clean room, with wonderful amenities such as the free hot breakfast buffet, the indoor pool and basketball court as well as a restauarant and lounge here on property. We are undergoing renovation which includes the addition of an elevator which we are very excited about, however I am sorry if the renovation caused any inconvenience to you during your stay. I would love to speak to you direct to make this right for you, my staff is usually top notch so I want to be sure we are working to correct any issues.

Once again I appreciate your business and I am sorry that you were dissatisfied. I hope that you will come to see us again soon so we can show you the level of service we strive to provide to all of our guests.

859-825-5020 direct line
mmcguire@clarionhotellex.com
Southaven, MS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here June 22, 2014 for one night. I booked based on reviews and price. When we arrived, two men were painting the portico brick. This was mid afternoon and hot outside so the smell was terrible! Really - is there any other time these bricks could be painted rather than check in time on a weekend? Check in went fine and the staff was nice. We were in room 308. When we entered, we could definitely smell smoke - as if this used to be a smoking room or someone had broken the rules. One of the beds had a huge stain on the yellow cover at the foot of the bed. The room was very clean other than that. This hotel is in need of a major update. Furniture had been patched to cover marks, beds were very dated, linens were also. WIFI was terrible. If you are need of a decent connection - do not stay here. It was probably the worst I have ever experienced! There are only a few channels on the TV. The coffee maker in the bathroom was right next to the toilet (yuck!) and had ceramic mugs. Have we not all seen the Dateline stories on those nasty ceramic mugs not being cleaned - and just wiped out? Spring for some disposable cups! The towels were old and small. Soaps in the bathroom were super thin and broke as soon as you used them. Sounds like I am nitpicking, but these are things I would want to know about a hotel. I think they are doing what they can to cut corners. I won't stay here again. There are plenty of other hotels to try in the vicinity.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I apologize that you were unsatisfied with your stay. We are working to make improvements and we try to choose the best time possible for these projects. Normally a Sunday afternoon is a very slow time for the hotel. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We have recently moved the coffee pot out of the bathroom and placed it on the new refrigerator and microwave that is now in all rooms. We are also now offering plastic cups in addition to the glass mug and drinking glass that is required at all Choice hotels. We listen to what our guest find important and try to ensure we offer the best room possible with great amenities.
Once again I apologize and appreciate your business.

Englewood, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

had a family gathering in lexington this past weekend. spent 2 nights here. staff was friendly, it was clean and didn't smell bad at all. great pool and arcade area, the grounds looked well kept and seemed well lit at night. the ONLY thing I can really "complain" about - one of the doors to another room didn't close quietly, whoever was staying in that room, every time they went through it, it slammed. so at 5am one morning, im being awaken by a slamming door. also, we had 4 different families (all with the same last name) staying there, and our rooms weren't grouped together, thought maybe the staff could have made a better attempt at placing us at least in the same hall

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Clarionlex, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for choosing Clarion Hotel for your family gathering. We appreciate your business and your wonderful comments. I am personally going to work with the desk to ensure they think ahead and block rooms together whenever possible. I know it would have been nice to be all together and while we always try to work to honor request we need to take that extra step.
Once again I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will come to see us again soon.

Jackson, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

beds are some of the best i have sleep on. rooms are good size they have a separate pool indoors along with all kind of games to play talked to scott in sales one of the best i have worked with this is a nice place to stay staff is very nice and helpful great place to take your kids they will have a ball in the game building . close to interstate and many places to eat

Room Tip: just about any room is nice ground floor has a back door to take your dog out for a walk
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Clarionlex, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the bedding in your room. We do offer two mattress options the Tempurpedic and the Serta for everyones comfort. Thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Paducah, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I spent two nights for a conference held there this past weekend. Great facility! The "free" hot breakfast buffet is better than most you "pay" for. Rooms clean, quiet. Front desk clerk helpful. Jack the concierge was very friendly and helpful. The waitress, Angel, in the restaurant busily bused the tables. The pool area includes a sauna, hot tub, basketball court, and adjacent poolside tables where we played dominoes. Electronic game area and free WIFI. What more can one ask for? Enjoy!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor. There is "no" elevator. So, if you don't want to pack...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Clarionlex, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your business and your wonderful review. I hope that the next time you are traveling through Lexington or attending an event you will think of the Clarion Hotel. I also wanted to let you know that we are in the process of installing an elevator which should be complete by the middle of July.

Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Tarpon Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Needed a hotel close to the interstate as we passed through Lexington. We were very impressed with this Clarion (after a less than favorable stay at one in Indianapolis the previous two nights). The room and bathroom were clean, the air conditioning worked great, the TempurPedic mattresses fantastic (may feel too firm at first but you will wake up back pain free!), and the full breakfast buffet very nice! Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
Clarionlex, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The Tempurpedic mattress is a great product and we are proud to offer rooms with this feature. Since we do offer two mattress options don't forget to request one next time you pass through Lexington to ensure you have another great nights sleep.
Thank you for choosing Clarion Hotel. We appreciate your business and can't wait to see you again soon.

Melissa McGuire

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!