“Good food family friendly” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #110 of 721 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Phone number is: 859-253-3135. It is the original restaurant before the Columbia Steak Express, which you have listed.
Addison, Illinois
“Good food family friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2015

I was looking for a steakhouse and was referred to Columbia. My kids and I walked in and were immediately put off by the "seat yourself" sign and the red vinyl table covers. It was 9:00 and we were hungry, so we stayed. 2 of us ordered strip steak and one steak tips. The food was good, but not upscale steakhouse good. I must mention that the prices were about 1/3 of what I typically pay at a steakhouse too. (Under $20 for our steak) It is casual and family friendly. Our server was kind and attentive.

Visited April 2015

Florence, Kentucky
“A Lexington Tradition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2015

I have been eating at the Columbia Steakhouse on North Limestone in Lexington for more than 40 years, but this is my first review of it. I started eating there when I lived in Lexington, and have eaten there at least once a year since I moved away. It is still my favorite restaurant in Lexington. It is in an old building a couple of blocks away from downtown, and is not fancy at all. It is not gourmet food, and not healthy food either. My wife and I always get the same thing, the "Columbia Special". It is a beef tenderloin cooked and served swimming in garlic butter, with steak fries or the biggest baked potatoes I have ever seen. My wife always gets the baked potato. I always get the steak fries, and there is no need for ketchup since the steak fries are also soaked in garlic butter. We also get the Diego salad. This food may be an acquired taste, and everyone may not like it, but I think it is very very good. I have never found another restaurant that serves food that tastes the same.

• Visited February 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Shelbyville, Kentucky
“Good steak but slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2015

Columbia's Steakhouse was a restaurant my husband had not experienced so while in Lexington and on Richmond Road we decided to stop in. I bragged about the Nighthawk Special and was happy to share a new (to him) restaurant.serves a good steak, My husband drink, arrived with the glass cracked. He told the waiter,(when he finally returned) who took the glass away to be replaced. We ate our appetizer and still no drink. The salads were brought some time later and the waiter asked if there was anything else we needed. My husband said, "yes, my drink". This happened not once but twice and the 2nd glass's top was chipped. My husband gave up and drank from the other side. Our table was under a t.v. and we had to yell across the table to be heard. Another waiter came over (our meal was nowhere in sight) and turned the t.v. down because the guys were in place for the live music. Our steaks were good and tender, but not anything special. We both ordered the broccoli casserole which was devoid of flavor and dry. Our order was placed long before the UK fans arrived so their appearance should not have been a factor. However, it took forever before our entrees were served. The line of fans grew longer and longer and finally the fans were pouring into the dinning room as our meal was served. Columbia's still has a nice steak but this night the service was poor, my salad consisted of iceberg lettuce, 3 red onion slices, 4 croutons (I don't like tomatoes nor cucumbers), and the sides were uneatable. Maybe if we'd tried the downtown location the dinner may have gone differently. .

• Visited March 2015
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, Kentucky
“Classic Lexington Steakhouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2014

If you like steak, and you like downtown...then look no further than Columbia Downtown on N Limestone. This restaurant has been a staple for decades, and even though it's not on the menu, try the NightHawk Special. Also the Diego Salad is awesome and the service is exceptional as well as eclectic. Love to eat here every chance I get.

• Visited November 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, Kentucky
“Amazing Hot Brown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2014

Our first Hot Brown (with Mom and Grandma)

Yummy and I know you need to visit the Brown in Louisville to get the original.

Huge portions, and really great food - we went pretty early 5:00 p.m. great waiter .

We weren't thrilled with the chopped salad that everyone raves about - it was slightly old and dressing wasn't quite right.

We did love the fresh salad - better alternative. The portions are huge and also very good. We took plenty of food home.

Minus one we all had Hot Browns - I had the steak - average. Good and cooked as I ordered nothing memorable -skip the fried green tomatoes (not many and not worth 7 dollars)

Overall it was a great meal and we had a great waiter who was attentive but not annoying.

We will definitely be back great meal - very fair prices for the portions - and it was good food - lovely atmosphere -

Great Place - will be back again!

• Visited November 2014