“Amazing horse history” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 50 Activities in Lexington
More attraction details
Owner description: If you are looking for a close encounter with horses, this tour is a must! Horse Farm Tours gives its guests a close-up look at the world's premier Thoroughbred horse farms. You can expect to spend approximately three hours with your tour guide visiting horse farms, Historic Keeneland Race Course and other attractions in the area. We offer a complete and comfortable tour with knowledgeable guides. We strive to make your visit to the Horse Capital of the World a part of the great Thoroughbred tradition. Tours run daily at 8:15 am and 12:45 pm. They pick up at the Embassy Suites hotel at 1801 Newtown Pike in Lexington.
Lees Summit, Missouri, United States
16 attraction reviews
“Amazing horse history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Very good tour and guide. Got to see, learn about and experience Keeneland racetrack and three horse farms. The whole family enjoyed it.

Abingdon, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“Very professional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference. It was the little things that made this
tour very enjoyable. I'm an avid photographer, non professional. I liked the fact that the windows were perfectly clean, so I was able to shoot through the window and get pictures at locations were we could not stop. Sue was our driver guide and she did a excellent presentation. Very informative and she seemed to enjoy her work. We had the 8:15 am tour, which I recommend during the hot summer days. The tour was suppose to last 3 1/2 hours but she took us to an extra farm and it lasted closer to 4 hours. And we loved the surprise treat at the end. We had done the tour of the farms on our own the day before and enjoyed seeing it again more with this tour. Highway in parts are narrow and no place to pull over and busy traffic. Also impressed with the farms she took us to. Interesting to see how the 1% spend their money.

Madison, Alabama
76 attraction reviews
“So much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

It started out poorly as we had booked the 12:45PM tour, but around 8:45AM they called and told me I was late. I insisted that I hadn't booked an 8:45AM tour but they told me I was wrong. I forwarded my email confirmation that showed 12:45PM, and later received an email back confirming they had made an error. I knew they hadn't planned for our tour when our tour guide showed up at 12:30PM and said she had just gotten a call to go give a tour. So obviously they have some booking issues to work out. However, with all that done with, we still had an excellent time with Sue, our tour guide. You could tell from the start Sue loved Kentucky and the horse industry. She was so smart and knew so much about the industry. We toured two horse farms, where we learned about the breeding process, and got to stop and visit many horses, which was probably the best part. My wife and mother-in-law just loved petting the horses. We are so grateful to the farm owners that allow people like us to do this. I don't know if I owned multi-million dollar horses if I would allow strangers to come pet them. So kudos to them. Anyway, we also went on to Keeneland, which was a great tour of a wonderful facilitly. In my mind it was nicer than Churchill. I could write for hours about the greater details of our tour, because it was almost four hours before it was all over. But the bottom line is if you love beautiful horses, and are interested in learning about the racing industry, this is a great tour!

Seattle
3 attraction reviews
“Informative and Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My Wife and I were in Kentucky to do The Bourbon Trail and experience the majesty of Kentucky Horses. We booked this tour months ago and were really looking forward to it. We chose the morning departure because we were told there may be more horse activity during the morning hours. Our Tour Guide David was incredible. We were picked up promptly at our hotel and after two more stops picking up other participants we were off. The amount of information David has to offer is dizzying at times. As we traveled the gorgeous countrysides from farm to farm he knew every name, dates, owners, where they got the resources to purchase the farm, change of hands, farms for sale, history, horse names and dates, Derby dates, tracks and on and on. At times it was amazing. He made sure everyone had their questions answered and made sure everyone had a great time. You could tell he has a passion for horses and what it takes to keep these huge horse farms running. We visited Keeneland and four other farms they have an agreement to drive on. The amount of farms they can visit can vary because some don't allow traffic on the property during the weekend. We were treated to a visit with a Stallion and then got to pet Mares and their foals. David is an amazing guide and my Wife, who is the horse person in our family, said "Wow!" afterwards. Also it is a great value. I believe we were out and about for 4 1/2 hours. Great value, incredible amount of information and the magnitude and operations of these massive farms are all breathtaking; and David brought that to life.

Peoria, Illinois
“An amazing day filled with the beauty of horses!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Amazing tour and guide! Family friendly! Gives a look at operations at several farms up close! If you love horses, you will love the day with Horse Farm Tours!