“Ripped Me Off” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 64 Hotels in Lexington
Phoenix, Arizona
“Ripped Me Off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I used my credit card as a third party authorization for my Son to stay at this motel. I was told I would get a $100 refund if all of the rules were followed and the room was clean, no damage, trash taken out, etc. All of these things were checked by my Son and his girlfriend so that I would be sure to get my deposit back. I got $58.00 of my money credited, not $100.00. It took 2 weeks to get that and when I called about it I was told there were service charges for trash in the room (it was taken out and the room was completely cleaned of all when they left.) There was a $20.00 charge for a damaged sheet, and a lockout fee of $10.00. When my Son's girlfriend went to check out, there was no one there, so she left the key under the window. (that was the "lockout Fee." Holly at the hotel told me that it was supposed to be given directly to them (where were they?) and at that time they were to go with management to the room while they looked it over (also highlighted on their check-in sheet.) . So, by not staying there to wait for someone to accompany them, one of the personnel went to the room and came back with this report. With no one to say differently, they can say anything they want and keep as much of your money as they want. My Son had just gotten out of the hospital and was unable to hang around until someone decided to show up. So, they basically are going to find something to get your deposit . Buyer beware.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
VPLexington, Manager at Value Place Lexington, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Each stay the customer signs an agreement that they will pay for any damages that may occur at the hotel in there rooms.We offer all guest the chance to go with the employee who is checking the room. If any damage occurs the hotel staff shows them at the time they check out. I am sorry you had a bad experience at the hotel. Our goal is to make each stay as confortable as possible.

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I found myself in need of a place to stay for a few weeks/months this winter, and checked out the Value Place in Lexington.

I must admit that it is nothing fancy: If you're looking for elegance and luxury you might want to look elsewhere. But if you need a place for an extended stay or a long term temporary stay, this place is hard to beat.

It is clean, convenient, and the staff is attentive and friendly. They even helped to dig me out of the snow this winter when I got stuck!!

Great place, I highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
VPLexington, Manager at Value Place Lexington, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Helping our guest is our goal here at Value Place we strive to make your stay enjoyable and hope to see you in the future. This is the perfect location for guest who are working or need a place to stay between homes and for family and your comments prove that we will go the extra mile to help our guest.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed here for two weeks. Great value and clean. Just what I was looking for. Bob the manager was very helpful and courteous. The staff was nice and went out of their way to help. The room was furnished with a kitchenette including a stove top and nice refrigerator and multiple kitchen cabinets for storage and a huge sink and the stove top has a light and fan and the kitchenette has a really nice microwave. The room also has a kitchen table and a couple of chairs as well to sit and eat. The room also has a big flat screen TV with free cable as well. The room also has a big 3 drawer dresser with a lot of space for our clothes.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review. Our goal is to please the guest and make there stay a good stay here at Value Place please tell other about our Facility
monaca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Look for special on internet.Very secure, state of the art,excellent service.Location is near shopping and fine restaurant's. Close to all major venues and interstate.Very clean and plenty of parking.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you so much for you comments. We are close to many shopping areas and close to downtown Lexington and we look forward to seeing you again. WE LOVE RETURN GUEST
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for three weeks. The staff was more that accommodating , could not help me enough!. The rooms are great nice and clean, great value for the money they charge. It is located close to major roads and attractions. Minutes to keenland racetrack and the airport. I would recommend staying here to all my friends and further more would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the Comments. We try to make all guest feel at home and make there stay a joy

The Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

When we had arrived we were greeted by friendly staff. We had signed are papers and had gotten are new room. The room was a smoking room but did not smell like smoke at all. The room was furnished with a kitchenette including a stove top and nice refrigerator and multiple kitchen cabinets for storage and a huge sink and the stove top has a light and fan and the kitchenette has a really nice microwave.The room also has a kitchen table and a couple of chairs as well to sit and eat. The room also has a big flat screen TV with free cable as well. The room also has a big 3 drawer dresser with a lot of space for our clothes. There is Also a closet shelf in the room that holds my mothers wardrobe of 50 shirts and coats. So space has not been a problem at all, we also have a night stand that helps with are other items and accessories. The rooms bed are also very nice with 4 spaces under each bed for storage. The room has a heating and air unit that changes the rooms temperature instantly. The bathroom came with towels and rags. Also the shower is huge with a bath or shower.The sink is very nice with a huge mirror that compliments the sink. The bathroom also has a nice long shelf for are bathroom accessories. They have very nice service and staff and let us borrow the vaccum when needed. All together the stay is amazing and we had no problems and its worth every penny. There is also a price cutter within walking distance so you have everything you need right in or by your place.Also there are vending machines down stairs and laundry rooms. Also if we lost are key we never have trouble getting a new one. This place is amazing in every way possible.

• Stayed January 2014
VPLexington, Manager at Value Place Lexington, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review! We appreciate you taking the time to send an amazing response! We try extremely hard to ensure that you have an extremely clean room along with a safe environment! Again, Thank You for your kind words as we try hard to make Value Place "your" home away from home!
Sincerely, JL Wilson, Property Manager of Lexington
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Overall, the time I spent at this Value Place was okay. I did have some rough moments but they were few and far between. Would I recommend this place? As for myself, I would not to stay here again. The establishment down the road had much more to offer and the accommodations were great minus the kitchenette. The staff was much friendlier and the overall cost was much more reasonable. Of the four extended stay hotels I have visited I would have to rank this one as number four.
This establishment is probably not the typical hotel you are familiar with. This is your basic “extended” stay hotel providing the customer with lodging lasting a week or longer. Each room may be leased for a “week” or longer depending on availability. There are at least four different floor plans to choose from and each is priced accordingly. A typical room has the following items: a bed; a night stand with a digital clock; a three dresser drawer; flat screen LG TV; basic cable with 30 or 40 channels; telephone; large microwave; full size refrigerator; a small kitchenette with a sink and a two burner stove; cabinets above and below the countertop; heater/AC unit; a small table with two chairs; laundry basket; framed cork board to hang notes or pictures; and two trash containers (small and large). While there is a stovetop I should mention that there is no oven or dishwasher. You are also provided two washcloths, two towels, one bath floor mat, two pillows, sheets, a blanket and a bed cover.
Upon check in you will be required to read and sign a few documents, however, this process is a benefit to both parties. You have to remember that this is an extended stay hotel and you will lease the room by the week or seven days. If you check in on a Tuesday you will check out on the following Tuesday unless you’re staying longer. An important note to mention here is that check-in is not until one o’clock in the afternoon.
There are some key items you should know when checking in. You are required to pay the first week of your stay and a deposit of one hundred dollars. Your full deposit may be returned to you using the same method of payment when checking in – cash or credit. If you used a credit card it may take up to five business days to have your deposit returned.
One of the documents you will need to fill out on your first day is the room inspection checklist. This checklist is provided to you to document any deficiencies you may find. I would advise that you take this checklist seriously because it provides you the opportunity to list all the problems you may find. I checked everything in the room including the blinds, laundry basket, light switches, furniture, carpet, tile, walls, doors, and everything else in the room. Once again, this is for your benefit so make the best of it.
Since this is an extended stay hotel you have some amenities but very few. It’s not all that bad but here are some things you should think about prior to staying here. Although you have a small kitchenette you are not provided the following items: pots and pans, silverware, cooking utensils, coffee pot or toaster. However, they do have these items for sale in the office. I’m not sure how much these items cost but there is a Walmart about two miles down the road for that purpose if you so desire.
I think you also have the option for linen exchange but this will cost you eight dollars a week if you choose this option. This was not explained to me in the beginning and I only found out about it when I asked for a full print out of the room charges.
There is a laundry room located on the first floor with four or five washers and at least six dryers. The cost to wash a load of clothes is $1.25 or $1.50 and the same to dry. You may request a laundry card which allows you to add as much money to the card to wash and dry your clothes. Simply Insert your card into the card machine and add the monetary value. After you’ve done this you’re ready to go. Just remember if you lose this card you will be charged eight dollars to replace it. You will need this card in order to do your laundry. There are no other options that I was aware of other than going off site to do laundry.
If you stay longer than a week your room is only cleaned once every two weeks so you should ask specifically which day your room will be cleaned. Cleaning services is depended upon which floor your room is located and whether your room number is odd or even. It’s better to ask when your room will be cleaned so you can plan accordingly. However, they do have vacuum cleaners you can borrow if you need one for that purpose. There is also an extra charge of twenty-five dollars to clean your room if you request to have it cleaned more than what it’s scheduled for.
You are also responsible for emptying the trash from you room. There is a dumpster located outside and to the left of the front parking lot. You are also asked to provide your own trash bags and toilet paper. The room comes with trash bags and toilet paper but once you run out it’s your responsibility to purchase these items.
The hotel is set up for internet use but you will have to pay ten dollars a week for this service. Value Place did provide an Ethernet cable for connection but you are required to sign for this item along with everything else you receive from this establishment. You should also know that there is no Wi-Fi so come prepared.
There are vending machines located on the first floor and the selection of food items and snacks is better than most places. One machine offered hot coffee and other hot drinks. Another vending machine offers a selection of sodas while another has your typical snacks including chips and candy. The fourth one had snacks ranging from pizza to ramen noodles. The selection changes weekly.

Pros
1. Inside security was a plus and the outside parking lot lighting provided ample light at night. The only way to enter the building is through the use of a key card.
2. Personnel in the office were available until eight in the evening and during afterhours you have the ability to call the night attendant. I never did this but it was nice knowing someone was always there.
3. The community around the area seemed rather nice and safe.
4. There are plenty of local restaurants and shopping centers to choose from and most are less than five or ten minutes away depending on traffic and the time of day.
5. Downtown is only three miles away and the local area has lots to offer. There is so much to see and do around Lexington area!
6. There is a recreational park two or three miles away on the main road but there are no walking paths. A small dog park, however, is located in this park. The Arboretum located at the University of Kentucky is a wonderful place to go for a walk.
7. For the most part the building had a nice appearance and was kept clean inside and out. However, they could have paid a little more attention to detail.
8. For the most part I felt that the place was very quiet during the day and night. On some occasions, however, I could hear the person in the next room talking on the phone or a TV that may have been set a little too loud. And of course, and without fail, I could hear a baby crying until ten o’clock at night. Most of the time, however, it was rather quiet.
9. I’m not sure and I might be incorrect but I think the rooms are equipped with noise reduction windows. I was amazed how the outside noise was reduced significantly when opening and closing the window. Kentucky 4 is located near the east side of the building and the traffic on this road can be somewhat noisy, especially during the morning and late afternoon. However, with the window closed I could hear very little traffic compared with the window open. I thought this was a very nice feature to have.
10. Prior to my departure my room was inspected and I appreciated the walk through. By the time I arrived at the front desk the property manager informed me that my deposit would be refunded to my account but that it could take up to five business days. This was greatly appreciated and it only took two or three days.
11. Upon my arrival I was unaware of the check-in time. While the official check-in time is one o’clock I was permitted to check-in a little earlier than normal.
12. The property manager seemed rather nice at times but there were a couple of times when she was just the opposite.

Cons
1. The biggest complaint that I have with this place is the mattress. The mattress sits upon a particle platform. Box springs are nonexistent but I can live with that. The mattress, however, had to be the most uncomfortable mattress ever created by mankind. Sleeping on the floor was a pleasure compared to sleeping on that mattress. The pillows were okay but they could use some improvement.
2. The window in the room has a Venetian style blind which serves its purpose but at night it’s of no use. Other places I have stayed offered curtains at no extra charge. I’m not sure if this establishment offers the use of curtains but it would be a nice feature if they did.
3. The internet connection via the Ethernet cable was very poor to say the least. The internet only worked during the day when most of the people were away but at night or on the weekend you might as well forget about it. Save the ten dollars and hit one of the local coffee shops in the area. I used the local library which was free and much faster.
4. When I checked in I was provided with information when my room would be cleaned. When it came time for my room to be cleaned I left for the day. Upon my return I noticed it hadn’t been cleaned. I inquired at the front desk and was informed that they had only cleaned the even numbered rooms that day. My room number was an odd number. I ended up going out for dinner and when I returned I noticed that someone had been in my room and it was apparent that an effort, or should I say, an attempt had been made at cleaning the room. I was not happy to say the least.
5. Let me just say that the AC was an awful excuse for an AC. When I turned it off the room would get cooler and when I turned it on the room would get warmer. I never bothered to turn the heat on. All I had to do was turn the AC on to do that. The odd thing about the whole thing is that it had its monthly service during my stay. I guess they didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to it when the service was being performed.
6. The toilet rarely flushed right and I constantly had to mess with the thing to keep it from running all the time.
7. The laundry card that was issued to me on the first day worked for the most part. I had some difficulty adding money to the card while using the card machine. When I inquired about it at the front desk the response I received was; “Well, I never had any problem with it”. I thought the comment was very obtuse and it wasn’t appreciated at all. Upon my departure I found out that the amount of money left on the card is not refunded. The response I received was, “We don’t give refunds”. It would have been nice to have known this when the card was provided.
8. Although the building is located on Lake Park Road and is tucked away in a small and rather quiet residential area the traffic is terrible on the main road depending on the time of day. Trying to turn onto Lake Park Road from the Richmond Road can be quite challenging. Doing the opposite is also very challenging at times.
9. What can I say about the staff at Value Place? For one thing, everyone of them needs a remedial class on customer service from the property manager on down. I just couldn’t put my finger on it but something just didn’t seem right with the staff. None were terribly rude or unpleasant to deal with, but their customer service skills, along with their ability to be cordial, were somewhat rough around the edges. I may be incorrect but I think the property manager may have something to do it. Like I said, something just didn’t seem right. Then again, I could be wrong.
10. Prior to checking out I turned in my 24 hour notice the day before my departure. I filled the form out and wrote down my comments. The next morning I received a call in my room at nine o’clock in the morning. I couldn’t tell whether they were asking me or telling me to check out. If I wasn’t mistaken I thought check-out was at eleven o’clock. I inquired as to the time I had to check out and I was informed that it was at eleven o’clock. I informed this individual that I would check out at eleven o’clock. The response I received was, “okaaaay?” Not more than five minutes later while I was taking a shower I heard my door open and someone called out, “Housekeeping”. I called out to the person and then the door closed. I thought to myself; what in the world is going on with this place?
11. Always remember to keep at least one key on you at all times especially if you leave the room. If you forget and get locked out of your room you may be charged $10.00 to have someone let you back in.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to see a room before signing a lease. You may get a room next to the exit door or...