“Rogan Josh / Chicken Curry” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Berea, Kentucky
“Rogan Josh / Chicken Curry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We ordered medium, but wish we had ordered hot. (We like it hot, but not too hot so..) The flavor was still wonderful and we ate until we were stuffed. It is a little pricy, but it is worth it. They have lunch buffets that are quite reasonable so if price is a concern, go to lunch there instead.

Visited July 2013

78% Recommend
Asheville, North Carolina
“Incredibly delicious and terribly underrated!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stumbled upon this treasure after having gone out of our way on our return home to Asheville, NC from Central Ohio to visit a supposedly, highly-rated Mediterranean restaurant as per TA reviews.

As we travelled south on 75, I was researching where our lunch in Lexington would be and thought I had found the perfect spot on the West side of town.

So, we arrived only to find it was closed for like a month for vacation – nothing was said of that on their website. Getting back in the car and very disappointed, I used the “Near me now” feature offered by TP and found that there was an Indian restaurant only a few doors down. With excitement we went for it!

When we walked in and found it occupied by locals who were (self-acknowledged) regulars and lots of Eastern Indian individuals we knew we were in the right place. Steve had the well-priced, classic lunch buffet and I ordered off the menu and had the Malai Kofta w/ mango chutney and garlic naan. It was like what I think they would serve in Heaven! Pleasing to the palette, awakening to your senses, making your stomach and taste buds smile.

The service was VERY attentive. Steve is lactose intolerant. Prior to serving himself at the buffet the server walked him through the food items to avoid. After returning to the table, the server returned to inform Steve that one of the items he had chosen had whey in its production – he was on it. Sonny, the owner, personally came to visit our table. Sonja, the owner’s lovely sister was circling the tables assisting where and when needed as well. We were well provided for and taken care of.

Atmosphere was simple, not different than what one would expect and appropriate for the genre.
SO glad the other place was closed and we were gleeful despite our previous disappointment. Divine intervention?

Hope to have a reason to go by Lexington again so we could return. Well worth the detour.

Wish they were in Asheville. Clearly, Lexington wins!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Lexington, Kentucky
“The usual Indian buffet lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Most indian restaurants seem to have the buffet lunch concept these days and Masala was no exception on a recent Sunday afternoon. Good variety of chicken entrees and various other Indian dishes, some spicy, some not at all spicy. Hostess said that they tried to change the items on offer, especially desert, every day.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Wheaton, Illinois
“Good Indian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Although the decor is simple and a bit dark, the food is very good. We ordered samosas, lamb vindaloo, chicken tikka masala and chicken curry. Each dish was nicely flavored and could be ordered mild, medium, hot or "Indian hot". The wait staff was friendly and attentive. If you are looking for good Indian food and don't mind a simple setting, Masala is a good choice in Lexington.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, South Carolina
“Food was excellent, service was meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

1 star for the service, 5 stars for the food, average of 3 stars.

I must've waited a good 10-15 minutes after I'd been handed the menu, before a waiter came back to take my order.

I got the lamb tikka masala and some naan. The lamb was tender and succulent, seasoned just right. Everything tasted great.

My water glass sat for at least 20 minutes completely empty, not a drop left. It was never refilled.

After handing me the check, the waiter took a good 10 minutes before picking it back up. It was 20 minutes before closing time, they'd locked the door, and for some reason bussing vacant tables took priority over picking my credit card up.

I was in the restaurant a total of about an hour, I was eating alone, and I'm neither a fast nor a slow eater. That's how much lost time there was due to waiting.

I had to fumble with the restaurant door lock in order to get out of the restaurant. They'd locked it in preparation for closing. They should've unlocked it for me or told me how to unlock it.

Service was absolutely horrible, but I'd probably go back there again for the food. Yes, the food was that good.

• Visited May 2013