“Great Older Hotel, Recently Renovated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Campbell House

You added The Campbell House to your Saves list
The Campbell House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1375 S Broadway, Lexington, KY 40504 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #29 of 68 Hotels in Lexington
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great Older Hotel, Recently Renovated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This is an older hotel, but it has been very beautifully renovated, apparently just recently, as we could detect the scent of new paint and carpet throughout. The decor is very elegant and upscale in appearance, yet we obtained a surprisingly great rate through an internet web coupon offer. The bar and restaurant were both excellent, and not overpriced as I might have expected. The chef personally visited our table and asked if our meals were satisfactory. The front desk staff was professional and courteous, while the restaurant and bar staff were downright friendly! We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: This is a BIG hotel, but it has several entrances. You might ask for a room close to one of the ent...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bowling Green, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

For as long as I can remember the Campbell House has remained one of Lexington's most popular hotels. Many a formal was celebrated here as well as Parent's weekend and Graduation.
She has gone through many a facelift and today she is still a beauty sitting pretty on the corner of Harrodsburg Road and Mason Headley. A perfect location for University of Kentucky , Keeneland, the Horsepark, and Transylvania visitors.
The restaurant is fabulous. We try to eat there at least once a year while in town. Tremendous Kentucky fare awaits each hungry diner. The best!
The staff is always so friendly and accommodating with smiling faces and a warm greeting. The beds are very comfy and the rooms quite nice. There is a very lively night club for the young and the young at heart!
Make your reservations early! This is a favorite!

Room Tip: They have rooms with kitchenettes if you might need one. Suites are available, too.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Commack, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I picked this place because it is pet friendly and looked really charming for a road trip in April to watch the races at Keeneland. We absolutely loved it. From the warm welcome to the beautiful lobby with high ceilings and a fireplace to the newly renovated rooms to the comfy front porch with couches, we loved our weekend here. We had breakfast one morning at the restaurant which was very good with friendly service. And we also enjoyed getting some drinks and sitting out on the porch one night. We typically stay at Residence Inns when we have our dog. But I'm so glad we stayed here. Really a charming place. The only real downside is you are across from a hospital/in the city so you may hear some ambulances. It didn't really bother us. And they need to update/fix the side door (keys weren't working so it was unlocked which could be a security issue). We didn't feel concerned at all though as it seemed there were always people around and it felt very safe. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
The Campbell Ho... L, Guest Relations Manager at The Campbell House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear LD2232,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel and we hope to see you again soon!

Best,

Justin Ham
Oxford, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Campbell House is a unique property that provides guests with a remarkable experience. Offering southern hospitality, elegance, and charm – my stay here was memorable and fun. This property is nearing the end of renovations and has been remodeled in a timeless and classic style featuring clean simple lines, great décor, and an elegant look. I absolutely love the way the design incorporates a tasteful equestrian theme, reflecting its history in the horse capital of the world. Lexington is a wonderful city and discovering the Campbell House made our visit all that more special. The central location made it easy for us to navigate to different areas of town and was only a couple miles south of downtown.

Check in was quick, the staff members were friendly, and getting to our room was convenient. Our executive King suite was nicely appointed. We slept comfortably in the great beds and it was quiet. The curtains were perfect for allowing us to control how much light we wanted in the room and the heating and cooling system worked well. The bathroom was attractive with large white subway tiles and attractive fixtures. The room included a nice closet, a hairdryer, a fridge, ice bucket and glasses, a work/desk area with chairs, dressers, a large television, and a comfy chair with a footstool. I have not slept this well in a hotel in quite a long time.

The fitness room had a good variety equipment and made working out really fun. I also loved swimming in the indoor pool and the temperature of the water was perfect. With generous hours, getting to the pool was easy and convenient.

The hospitality was outstanding. Everyone we encountered made us feel special. Melanie at the front desk was very helpful and welcoming. Lisa at Bogart’s was knowledgeable and suggested some great menu items and bourbon selections. We dined there on two different occasions and enjoyed the live music and dancing on a weekend night. There is also a restaurant called Kilbern’s on site but unfortunately we did not have an opportunity to dine there, though the menu looked enticing and the décor was attractive. We also noticed that they had very nice meeting and banquet rooms on site and the property borders a golf course.

The gift shop was fabulous with a great selection of clothing, jewelry, gifts, and household goods, to name a few. Madonna, who runs the gift shop, graciously assisted me in finding the perfect items and was fun to talk with.

Scott Hagan, the general manager, was very welcoming and ensured that we were having an enjoyable visit. His attention to detail did not go unnoticed.

Overall, our visit to The Campbell House was outstanding. It is a quintessential Lexington experience for anyone wanting to visit the “Athens of the West”, another name for the confident and historically rich city nestled in the heart of the bluegrass region of Kentucky. I greatly look forward to returning.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Murray, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First: I loved working with Kyle to set up a block of rooms for our group! He's great! The hotel renovations are pretty good, the rooms are lovely, and the beds are wonderful!

Most important: The hotel is completely unsecure! The entrance in the back (gate 3) is for a meeting facility/ballroom. Sketchy at best. Dark, several small open rooms, a few doorways leading to the rest of the hotel. This entrance was the one we used because of the elevator location to our room. Two sets of double doors with no locking/security system whatsoever. Saw no sign that there ever has been any type of lock here. Noticed it when on the first night I had to make a midnight run to RiteAid. I was pretty freaked out by this. The rest of my group noticed it, too. Another "secure" entrance (gate 8 I believe) had a card reader, but it was nonfunctioning and the door was wide open to anyone the entire four days we were there. No security cameras anywhere and lighting is not great. I don't remember staying at any hotel in many years that had wide open doors like this. This experience taught me to always ask about security before booking any hotel. I guess I thought it was a given that a hotel would have secure entrances, at least late at night. I did comment to the desk manager after the first night and he told me to fill out a comment card. I forgot. The security situation is completely unacceptable, and no matter how nice the hotel ends up after renovations are complete, I wouldn't consider staying unless I saw all entrances are secure. In this day and age, it's ridiculous to put your family at risk!

Room Tip: The hotel is a bit like a maze. If you don't want to walk forever, ask about room location. Ou...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
The Campbell Ho... L, Guest Relations Manager at The Campbell House, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear pamdjones,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Guest safety and security is our #1 priority and I deeply apologize that you felt unsafe during your stay. We have reviewed our areas and made corrections to any malfunctioning locks. The hotel is equipped with security cameras that are monitored as well.

I would love an opportunity to chat with you regarding your concerns. I hope that we can regain your faith in our property. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to continue the conversation.

D: 859.519.1353
E: jham@thecampbellhouse.com
Bellbrook, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Found this place thru a Groupon email, and I was hooked. I didn't use Groupon, I booked directly because I wanted a King Suite instead of a standard queen. I though it would be located on the outskirts, but it's actually in a very busy area (right behind a drug store). But when you see how beautiful it is, you forget what's outside. It's very old time elegant behind columns and porch that would be great for sitting on (if it wasn't raining.) The lobby is old time elegant and had a huge fireplace with a roaring fire.

Our room was beautiful. Very horse country decorative with a leather sofa complete with studs, and the most beautiful metal coffee table I've ever seen. Of course there was a big screen TV, everything was clean and all newly redecorated. The bathroom was on the smallish side (typical of historical hotels) and only had a shower. But nice amenities.

After pigging out in the bar, we made a decision to share a dinner in the room. I couldn't find a room service menu but called and asked if they had a Kentucky Hot Brown (yes) and Derby Pie (yes) and told them we would be sharing. They were good and quick and brought extra plates and utensils. The portions were generous and the two of us couldn't finish it. While it was good, I make mine from roasted turkey, and this one had deli turkey and ham. Still, it was good. Just not up to the standards of everything else.

This comes with the Libby V. stamp of approval. Maybe my favorite hotel room of all time? I will be back, and I hope to see you there. Maybe Derby weekend?

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Libbytoo,

Thank you for your stamp of approval! Your honest, thoughtful remarks were great to read and we greatly appreciate you sharing your experience. We hope to see you again soon.

All the best,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We recently stayed here for a race in town. Having never visited Lexington before we were unsure of our location. This hotel worked out great. It was close to our race as well as several restaurants and bars. The rooms are nice. Our room was a tad bit dark because of the dark colored walls and our window faced the inside of the hotel. We did not have much natural light and the lamps provided small amounts of lights. It also seemed odd that the only elevator was in the back of the hotel. Overall, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Dear mrsboyle2002,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for the "Run the Bluegrass" race. It was a honor to host you and your fellow runners. We really appreciate the feedback and will share it with our staff.

All the best,

Director of Operations

Been to The Campbell House? Share your experiences!