“Disgusting!!” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Campbell House to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
The Campbell House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1375 S Broadway, Lexington, KY 40504 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #50 of 65 hotels in Lexington
“Disgusting!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

We booked this hotel because it was very close to the hospital that my grandmother was in. The hotel is under construction. The lobby was nice enough and remodeled, but that was where it ended. We went up in an old elevator to our room and opened the door and the musty smell overwhelmed us. We started looking around and there was dust along the edges of the carpet along the wall, food and stuff laying under the beds, stains on the carpet. I kept stressing about it and if it wasnt 11pm at night, I wouldve immediately left but had my parents as well as my 7yr old with me and we were exhausted from the long trip. So, off to give my son a shower and it wont drain the water! They call a maintenance guy as we sit and wait another 20min. He comes in and doesnt have the right tools, so we wait some more. In the meantime, I go down to the front desk and tell them how dirty the room is. They move us to another, which isnt much better other than the shower does drain. I wouldnt even shower myself, until morning because I felt absolutely disgusting from the dirty room. We all woke up with stopped up noses and drainage because of the musty, mold smell. We checked out very early because we had no desire to stay in that filth. When I checked out, the lady was rude and didnt ask how we liked our stay or anything. No extra discount was given to us after all the issues we had. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, unless you dont mind dirt, musty, mold like smell. DISGUSTING!!!!

• Stayed August 2014

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel desperately needs help. I love the charm but it needs to be completely remodeled. The whole place is dirty and smells horrible. My allergies couldn't stand it. I had to check out and get another place.

Room Tip: Are there any good rooms?
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This apparently used to be the place to be but then went down hill. The new owners have done a great job remodeling! Everything inside and out is Restoration Hardware and it is beatiful. The entire staff was friendly and attentive. The breakfast in the cafeteria is yummy. Would stay here every time I visit!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
The Campbell Ho... L, Guest Relations Manager at The Campbell House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Stacy W.,

Thank you for the kind and honest remarks! We are thrilled with the renovation results thus far and anxious to unveil the finished product in November. It's wonderful to know that our efforts to restore the Campbell House are being noticed.

We hope to see you again in the future.

All the best,

Justin H.
Director of Operations
P: 859.519.1353
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here during construction, so I should have known better. It may have been a nice hotel in it's time, but it will continue to need renovation. It is a classic type hotel, but could use some updates. The bar is nice and has a pub feel. The exercise room is pathetic and needs new equipment. Easy drive to downtown from here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The WiFi was extremely fast!! around 35 Mbps. The location is good but the entrances and exits from the streets are not easy to use. Bed used memory foam and was very comfortable but the headboard fell down when I thought I could move the bed back by pull it not realizing that it was not attached to the bed but to the wall.

IT IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION It is not a 3 1/2 star hotel in the state it is in. The way they are doing the construction is not the normal way I have seen hotels tackle renovations. The public areas were very filthy with construction mess, paint on carpets etc. The price should be set at a 1 star rating price until they clean up.

Ice machines anywhere on my floor or other areas did not work and I had to call to have staff bring me ice. Hot water was really hot which I like.

As far as staff, most were pleasant but some of them were a little strange (Don't know quite how to explain it).

I think you should heed some of the reviews here that tell about the current conditions not being that great. They are correct overall.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Prior to booking a 3 day stay for my wife and I in Lexington last week, I read many of the reviews of The Campbell House and was quite concerned. However, we decided to take a chance and make a reservation there, and we are very glad we did.

First, a note about the negative reviews you'll find here on TripAdvisor. I really don't understand how people can criticize an establishment for minor cosmetic blemishes, when that establishment is forthright about being in a renovation phase. That's how we found The Campbell House - some minor inconveniences along with the quirks you always find (you hope to find) in an older property - but the staff doing a pretty soldierly job of making their guests feel comfortable. Several of the reviews I read mentioned unsatisfactory relations with the staff. We didn't find that at all. They were responsive and good-humored. When we were unable to get our room keys to work when we returned home one evening, one of the engineering staff noticed, alerted the front desk of the problem, let us into the room, and checked that new keys had been prepared and were on their way, problem solved. We were impressed with that kind of detailed service.

We also did not find any of the deficiencies of the physical plant that some of the other reviews have mentioned. Their rooms were small? Where were they staying? Our room was huge - I mean huge, much larger than normal - as was the bathroom. Our kingsize bed was a fairly expensive memory foam, all of the linens were fresh, and the room was overall well appointed. Not like you'd find at the Park Plaza, but pretty well appointed overall. I didn't explore much of the rest of the hotel but my wife did, and she was very impressed by the indoor pool as well as by the restaurant and the gift shop, where she purchased a very impressive dinner ring at a good price.

The Campbell House is also ideally situated in Lexington, very near downtown and a number of attractions including the Red Mile, Keeneland, and many others. Plenty of parking, and a secure feeling overall. We would heartily recommend The Campbell House and will gladly stay there on our next trip to a very wonderful city, one of our favorites, Lexington, Kentucky.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After driving hours and couldn't wait to hit my head on a pillow we booked a room at the "Nasty House!" Walked down the hallway toward our room, the carpet and walls looked as if it had been submerged in water and smell of mold flew up my nose. Couldn't wait to see the room.... walked in the door and room had not been cleaned from the previous guests. Dirty towels in the tub, messed up beds. Called to guest services and they were rude. I suggest you pay extra and go to a Holiday Inn it may be cleaner and better service for their patrons.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Campbell House? Share your experiences!