“LOVED IT!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Campbell House

Save Saved
You added The Campbell House to your Saves list
The Campbell House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1375 S Broadway, Lexington, KY 40504 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #51 of 65 hotels in Lexington
“LOVED IT!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This apparently used to be the place to be but then went down hill. The new owners have done a great job remodeling! Everything inside and out is Restoration Hardware and it is beatiful. The entire staff was friendly and attentive. The breakfast in the cafeteria is yummy. Would stay here every time I visit!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed here during construction, so I should have known better. It may have been a nice hotel in it's time, but it will continue to need renovation. It is a classic type hotel, but could use some updates. The bar is nice and has a pub feel. The exercise room is pathetic and needs new equipment. Easy drive to downtown from here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The WiFi was extremely fast!! around 35 Mbps. The location is good but the entrances and exits from the streets are not easy to use. Bed used memory foam and was very comfortable but the headboard fell down when I thought I could move the bed back by pull it not realizing that it was not attached to the bed but to the wall.

IT IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION It is not a 3 1/2 star hotel in the state it is in. The way they are doing the construction is not the normal way I have seen hotels tackle renovations. The public areas were very filthy with construction mess, paint on carpets etc. The price should be set at a 1 star rating price until they clean up.

Ice machines anywhere on my floor or other areas did not work and I had to call to have staff bring me ice. Hot water was really hot which I like.

As far as staff, most were pleasant but some of them were a little strange (Don't know quite how to explain it).

I think you should heed some of the reviews here that tell about the current conditions not being that great. They are correct overall.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Prior to booking a 3 day stay for my wife and I in Lexington last week, I read many of the reviews of The Campbell House and was quite concerned. However, we decided to take a chance and make a reservation there, and we are very glad we did.

First, a note about the negative reviews you'll find here on TripAdvisor. I really don't understand how people can criticize an establishment for minor cosmetic blemishes, when that establishment is forthright about being in a renovation phase. That's how we found The Campbell House - some minor inconveniences along with the quirks you always find (you hope to find) in an older property - but the staff doing a pretty soldierly job of making their guests feel comfortable. Several of the reviews I read mentioned unsatisfactory relations with the staff. We didn't find that at all. They were responsive and good-humored. When we were unable to get our room keys to work when we returned home one evening, one of the engineering staff noticed, alerted the front desk of the problem, let us into the room, and checked that new keys had been prepared and were on their way, problem solved. We were impressed with that kind of detailed service.

We also did not find any of the deficiencies of the physical plant that some of the other reviews have mentioned. Their rooms were small? Where were they staying? Our room was huge - I mean huge, much larger than normal - as was the bathroom. Our kingsize bed was a fairly expensive memory foam, all of the linens were fresh, and the room was overall well appointed. Not like you'd find at the Park Plaza, but pretty well appointed overall. I didn't explore much of the rest of the hotel but my wife did, and she was very impressed by the indoor pool as well as by the restaurant and the gift shop, where she purchased a very impressive dinner ring at a good price.

The Campbell House is also ideally situated in Lexington, very near downtown and a number of attractions including the Red Mile, Keeneland, and many others. Plenty of parking, and a secure feeling overall. We would heartily recommend The Campbell House and will gladly stay there on our next trip to a very wonderful city, one of our favorites, Lexington, Kentucky.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

After driving hours and couldn't wait to hit my head on a pillow we booked a room at the "Nasty House!" Walked down the hallway toward our room, the carpet and walls looked as if it had been submerged in water and smell of mold flew up my nose. Couldn't wait to see the room.... walked in the door and room had not been cleaned from the previous guests. Dirty towels in the tub, messed up beds. Called to guest services and they were rude. I suggest you pay extra and go to a Holiday Inn it may be cleaner and better service for their patrons.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Bowling Green, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel is outdated and needs major extensive repairs. This hotel does not advertise that work is going on at the hotel and makes it very difficult to get in and out.

My room had a lousy mattress and flat pillows. The lamps did not work, the air conditioning did not function properly.

The bathroom sink and tub were very very slow to drain.

The bathroom fan made so much noise I was afraid to use it.

Rooms are very dark and small.

This hotel is not close to be a 3.5 star hotel. Its a 2.5 star at best.

Recommend staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
The Campbell Ho... L, Guest Relations Manager at The Campbell House, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Bubba42101,

Thank you for your honest remarks regarding your stay. It's unfortunate that we could not meet your expectations and for that, I apologize. As you noted, we are going through a very extensive renovation and it's our goal to make it as less intrusive as possible. Our renovations on the lobby and main entrance will be completed on August 18th, as well as some newly renovated guest rooms. We are very excited to share a small portion of our work soon.

I would be happy to discuss your experiences further, if you choose to do so. Feel free to contact me personally at the number below.

Justin H.
Director of Operations
P: 859.519.1353
Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very outdated, rude staff, ripped awnings, broken bricks in sidewalks everywhere.My friend actually tripped on one and hurt her hip!! Our room had a view of construction going on in the front of property. We were overcharged in the bar. Slimmy pool, green moss growing in it! Literally a cement pond!! Worst stay at a hotel I've ever had! Terrible. My advice, stay elsewhere!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Campbell House? Share your experiences!