“Out dated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Campbell House

Save Saved
You added The Campbell House to your Saves list
The Campbell House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1375 S Broadway, Lexington, KY 40504 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #46 of 65 hotels in Lexington
Lexington, Kentucky
“Out dated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Campbell House has fallen on hard times, in fact, it even goes by the name Crowne Plaza. It's right in the middle of downtown Lexington so no view. The decor is really outdated, as is the elevator, and the whole hotel is difficult to navigate (think labyrinth). There are broken tiles everywhere and the awnings are torn or severely weathered. The staircases are beautiful but steep. The floors creak. There is a gift shop near the front desk but it's little more than a small sitting room, only big enough for 3 chairs. There is also a gift store but it's waaaaay overpriced and most stuff is chintzy. There is a nice restaurant near the front desk. Though pricey, it is very good. There is a computer but no real privacy. Ample parking. I enjoyed the employees; they were so accommodating and professionally friendly. I'm sure in its heyday it was THE place to stay, but now it's getting left behind.

Stayed November 2013

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is undergoing renovations and when you approach it from what was the main entrance, it looks closed. The entrance was Moved to another wing during the remodel. Signage for the new entry was not clear but we did locate it. Once inside, the hotel was clean and decorated in in architectural style. The staff was very helpful and friendly and check in was easy. The room with king size bed was large. The bathroom was remodeled but kept to its original size making it small...one sink with very little counter space. The room was decorated in a style fitting the hotel...my idea of southern living. The hotel has a restaurant. But we did not try it. The bar area was cozy and friendly. The price was reasonable.

I found this hotel through trip advisor and booked through booking.com. I had no trouble with making the reservation and found booking.com to be a great service.

I would stay here again if ever in lexington. It was a nice change from the chain hotels

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is the fourth year we have stayed there. Always nice. They have recently started a major renovation and it will really help. The staff is so helpful and friendly. They changed our rooms for us so we could all be close together. I like section six. The rooms are larger and a straight shot to the covered downstairs entrance. Stay on the third floor.
The bar was open to eat breakfast. The old dinning room was closed. Ordered off of the menu and omelette was great. Close to Rite Aid drug store.
Looking forward to returning and seeing how this property looks.

Oh yea, one of the nicest features was the bed. Our king bed was a thermorest mattress. Very comfortable. Hope they keep these beds.

Stayed July 2014
The Campbell Ho... L, Guest Relations Manager at The Campbell House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Beekeeper49,

Thank you for your comments and your continued support for the Campbell House! We also look forward to your return next year. We hope to "shock and awe" you with our new finished product and guest enhancements.

All the best,

Haymarket VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Road trip from NOVA west and ended in Lexington. A quick drive through the city revealed a diamond in a rough. Went to the local Macy's early in the day and asked for a hotel recommendation. The local woman, who seemed to posses intelligence and class mentioned the Campbell. We took it at her word and made a reservation. Spent all day at the Woodford Reserve and Alltech Brewing taking tours and made it to the hotel by 6 pm on Sunday. The entire facade was destroyed with construction; had to guess at where to enter. My first thought and comment when entering was "Is this a flophouse?" Upon entering saw a young black guy walking down the hall eating something out of a styrofoam package. Guessed where to go for the main desk (after a walk down a dark long hallway) and made it to check in. CHecked in, went to the room on the first floor. I know they were renovating, but seriously, they should shut down because it is one of the most disappointing places I have stayed in 30 years. Loud A/c Unit, curtains that would not fully close, bathroom with only one sink and TINY. Please tell me why no room in these southern HOT states have refrigerators? It is located in what I would say is a less desirable place in Lexington, in a Rite-Aid parking lot. They skimped on hard towels, toiletries, and the pillows were not even standard size. No comforter, just a thin bedspread. This was a horrible experience. Spend an extra $40 and get a nice room close to nice restys. The resty/bar in the hotel was decent for drinks, but food choices are awful and the prices are high.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear ldordal,

Thank you for taking a moment to provide your honest remarks about your experience. I'm very sorry that we could not live up to your expectations nor the Lexington resident that provided you with a recommendation to stay with us.

The hotel is well overdue for a much needed renovation and the obvious construction is not the most welcoming sight for any guest that stays with us. I am happy to say that the construction on the main entrance of the hotel is almost complete and our new lobby, restaurant and 60 brand new rooms will be available.

I can't take back the experience you had, but I hope your give us a chance to create a better one down the road.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed one night and our room was in definite need of an overhaul. Walls showed water damage and carpet gave off a moldy smell that I could smell all night. I'm sure after the renos are done, it'll be much
More suitable. The hotel itself had a very old classy look though, it gave me a cool vibe like the hotel in the shining.

Stayed July 2014
The Campbell Ho... L, Guest Relations Manager at The Campbell House, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Brandon,

Thanks for your honest remarks regarding your stay. The hotel is undergoing an extensive renovation that will be complete near the end of the year. We certainly plan on continuing to provide a "cool vibe" with some of our planned additions around the hotel.

I apologize for the the condition of your guestroom and I would like to invite you back when the renovations are complete. Feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss further.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had holes in towels, water drained very slowly in tub. Décor is dated. Had gnats in our room. They are going through renovations right now so hopefully this will help with some issues they are having. All the websites have this at 3 1/2 stars which should not be the case. Positives would be a low but comfy bed, a good size flat screen, free newspapers and a decent experience at Bogarts.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The Campbell Ho... L, Guest Relations Manager at The Campbell House, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear dnice1979timrick,

Thank you for comments. I apologize for the issues that you experienced in your guest room. These deficiencies should have been easily identified by our staff prior to your arrival. As you noticed, we are going through a comprehensive renovation of the hotel and we look forward to sharing it with the public soon. Once again, thanks for your review and feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further.

Best,

Noblesville, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I needed a weekend away at the last minute and found this hotel to stay at. We wished we had selected something else. It's being re-done but is very much lacking for a relaxing weekend away. The room we stayed in although clean, had holes in the towels, the ceiling had a lot of damage and the room itself was very very drab and outdated. The view out the window was all roof. Literally NOTHING to look at. Our room was still not cleaned by 4:30 on Saturday when we got back to rest and change for dinner. With our room being so drab I was hoping to go somewhere else in the hotel to read, but really...there was no place that felt cozy or nice to just go hang out in. The bed was comfortable...I will say that. If all you need is a comfortable bed then this is your place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The Campbell Ho... L, Guest Relations Manager at The Campbell House, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear KimGuze,

Thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback regarding your stay. I sincerely apologize that we could not provide the relaxing weekend that you had hoped for. I've forwarded your comments to the appropriate department heads for immediate follow-up.

The major renovations on the lobby and restaurant will be completed late July. We will also have a good portion of our guestrooms completed around that time as well. We are very excited about the brand new product and I hope that you choose us again in the future. Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss further.

859.519.1353

Been to The Campbell House? Share your experiences!