“A Big Disappointment” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Campbell House

Save Saved
You added The Campbell House to your Saves list
The Campbell House
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1375 S Broadway, Lexington, KY 40504 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #49 of 65 hotels in Lexington
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A Big Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Admittedly, I probably set my expectations too high. I have stayed here many times over the years, and have been through a lot of change with the property. It is now a two to two point five star property at best. The customary Campbell House hospitality was nonexistent, and the entire property was "tired". There were rennovations ongoing, and I was able to look beyond that. I will not be back, however. There are just too many better properties in Lexington that are at the same price point or less. This hotel will be the next Lexington Springs Hotel...a steady d ownhill spiral until it gets bulldozed.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
marengo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The hotel is currently under renovation so hopefully when finished all the rooms will have had an update. It is just old, and though they do a great job of cleaning it is just not someplace I would stay again. The emergency room for the hospital is across the street. Lot is sirens all night. Also, people walking down the hall and talking in normal voices are really loud. It is a really pretty building, but the city has built up around it...

• Stayed April 2014
Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were here for a Barbershop Chorus Competition and this was their headquarters. We had four in our room and had plenty of room -- it was one of the largest rooms we've had recently. Our furniture was fine, the mattresses were great . . . the bathroom wasn't large, but, there was a vanity and a closet right outside of the bathroom, so it wasn't an issue and we had four people getting ready for events, etc. This place is large (we laughed and said it was like a cruise ship) -- really the only problem I had was that there seemed to be only one ice machine in the whole hotel working. It really wasn't a big problem as they had a sign on the machines as to where you needed to go to get ice -- we had breakfast both mornings in The Bogart Room -- it wasn't wonderful, but it was sufficient with sausage, bacon, eggs, biscuits, gravy, fruit, etc. with drink for approximately $10. We enjoyed the decor and made pictures of our guys in tuxes along with lifesize Humphrey Bogart pictures. We saw two baby grand pianos and the lobby was fine -- as has been said, they are renovating, but I think they're doing a fine job! The gift shop had lots of jewelry and accessories, etc. for women -- don't miss it! We took a wonderful Thoroughbred Horse Farm Tour that left from this location and they graciously let us check out after we returned from the tour. We liked it -- I'd love to come back when all the renovations are complete!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Terre Haute, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed during their renovations and was willing to accept some chaos from that. However, I encountered issues that should NEVER happen. The first morning I had report that the shower/tub wasn't draining properly. The second night there were a couple insects in the room. The first two mornings the water was only moderately warm. The third morning there was NO HOT WATER for our room or any room in our wing (the boiler broke). The fourth morning our room and the rest of the wing had NO HOT WATER after 9 AM (the boiler hadn't recovered from the day before). For our troubles they refunded 75% of one days stay and refused to offer more.
Also, the breakfast service (not typically complimentary, except w/ group deals) was good the first too days (made to order) but sub-par the second too days (buffet style).
OVERALL - DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
The Campbell Ho... L, Guest Relations Manager at The Campbell House, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

It's very unfortunate that your stay was inconvenienced by the unexpected situations that the hotel experienced. This unplanned event was not a pleasant experience for you, other guests, nor our staff. Based on your other feedback, it's quite obvious that we missed the mark on areas within our control. I would be happy to speak with you about your concerns as it would be my goal to restore your faith in our hotel.

Justin H.
859.519.1353
Beavercreek, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Before jumping to conclusions on the condition of the hotel, you have to give them props because they are at least doing something about it by remodeling.

Quite a bit of wear and tear in the corridors including the walls and carpet and dinged up furniture in the rooms. Despite that, our room had a new Tempurpedic mattress that was very comfortable. The room was also very clean. Additionally, the room had a HDTV with most, if not all, channels in HD.

The bathroom was a bit challenging though. It was very, very small. The exhaust fan made a loud clanging noise.

Due to the remodeling, the front entrance was closed. To enter the lobby, you had to go through a side entrance. I used two different side entrances during my stay and was kind of oddly intrigued how the immediate entrances almost looked like those of a more economy motel based on the tile, fixtures, and wallpaper but suddenly transitioned to a much more elegant tone once you got further inside. Hopefully, that is something they are considering in the remodel.

The only facility I used during my stay was the bar, which was really nice and in good repair.

The staff at the bar and the front desk were exceptionally nice.

They do like steps in this place. On each floor, the rooms were sort of on an elevated platform where you had to go up three or four steps after getting off the elevator.

Overall, the hotel had a quaint, old school Southern charm about it. I'd certainly give it another chance. I'd more accurately rate this as a 3.5 out of 5 if Tripadvisor provided that option. The bottom line is that I was happy because I got an excellent deal on Priceline, and the room was still clean and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I love this place....We have stayed here numerous times over the years and I have never been disappointed in any way.....THE BEDS ARE AWESOME....If you want a good night's sleep, this is the only place to go....And, Room Service is out of this world....My husband said "best stake I've ever had" and it takes a lot to impress him...lol....Will continue to stay here for years to come...I am looking forward to the renovations, as I'm sure everyone is......

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
The Campbell Ho... L, Guest Relations Manager at The Campbell House, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Thank you for the great review! It's great to hear that we were able to create a memorable experience for you. We are very excited about the renovations, as we hope to bring back the prominence that the Campbell House once had.
Somerset, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Let me begin by saying that this hotel is currently being remodeled and affects my review. However, there were certain aspects of the stay that existed regardless of the renovations. Due to the remodel, you have to enter the hotel through a back door and be checked-in in a makeshift lobby at a makeshift front desk. I am able to get past that. However, the King Room I booked was not desirable. While it appeared clean, amenities were lacking. There was no fridge or microwave, even though it appeared that these used to be in the room. The furniture was old and the bed was very low to the ground. The bathroom had no hand towels -- only washcloths and large towels. When the curtains were drawn, the hotel provided a binder clip to keep them closed. I was attending a conference at the hotel or I would have stayed elsewhere. I stayed at The Campbell House several years ago and was looking forward to this stay. I am disappointed with how the hotel has run down. Again, they are currently remodeling the hotel and I hope it is greatly improved. However, unless I see a drastic change, I will not stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking a moment to review our property. Its quite clear that we missed the mark during your stay, and for that, I deeply apologize. The hotel is currently undergoing a renovation of all guestroom and public space; we are very excited to share the finished product to the public! In regards to your concerns, the renovations are not an excuse, as we are fully capable of providing a great experience to each of our guests during this time.

If you would like to continue the conversation, please feel free to contact me at 859.519.1353.

Been to The Campbell House? Share your experiences!